Author Topic: Alexander Palace, August 2004, Photos online  (Read 13153 times)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Palace, August 2004, Photos onlin
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2005, 03:59:03 AM »
Thank you Foreignhalf.

I was curious as to how you managed to break away from a tour group to visit the Alexander Palace.

Unfortunately, because of its condition, the Alexander Palace is largely ignored.  Tour groups are driven straight past and on to the glitzy Catherine Palace.   You are lucky if the tour guide even mentions, in passing, either the Feodorovsky Sobor or the Alexander Palace.

It is quite easy to get to Tsarskoe Selo without incurring the expense of a private guide and car.   The train from Vitebski station will take you to Pushkin - it is an interesting walk through the town to the Palace.  

Alternatively there is a very convenient micro-bus which leaves Moskovsky Prospect (close to the Pulkova Hotel and on the same side of the road) every few minutes.   They are signed either 'Pushkin' or 'Pavlovsk'  and cost only a few roubles.   If you indicate to the driver 'Alexandrinski Dvorets', he will drop you practically at the gates.

tsaria
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by tsaria »

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Palace, August 2004, Photos online
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2005, 08:30:53 AM »
Tsaria, your tips about getting to Tsarskoe Selo are quite useful, thanks. But, shouldn’t one ask for “Alexandrovski Dvorets” instead of the “Alexandrinski” (which would mean the Alexandra Palace) no? :-/  The Palace was built for Catherine II’s grand-son Alexander.
Daniel Briere

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Palace, August 2004, Photos online
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2005, 01:24:29 PM »
Daniel, thank you - I knew as I was writing it there was something wrong.   Thanks for bringing it to my attention and to that of others.

tsaria