Author Topic: Names, Patronymics, Nicknames and Name Days  (Read 176495 times)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
Re: Names, Patronymics, Nicknames and Name Days
« Reply #270 on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »
Princess Izabel's name was Isabel Cristina Leopoldina Augusta Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga de Bragança

Say that ten times fast!
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 18, 2010, 06:40:24 PM »
I would be so tongue tied with that name lol.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #272 on: July 18, 2010, 06:43:24 PM »
Princess Izabel's name was Isabel Cristina Leopoldina Augusta Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga de Bragança

Say that ten times fast!

{*laughing*}

Her father was Pedro de Alcântar João Carlos Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga. Try to say this ten times fast!

Anyway, I'm happy the Grand Duchesses didn't have long names, it's much easier!

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #273 on: July 18, 2010, 07:18:56 PM »
Yikes! Those names are very long! Pedro etc. has 14 names in all !!  :o
Poor guy... at least his daughter's name is relatively easy to pronounce, whereas his! Phew, all those accents! When did they live, by the way?
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #274 on: July 18, 2010, 07:37:01 PM »
Yikes! Those names are very long! Pedro etc. has 14 names in all !!  :o
Poor guy... at least his daughter's name is relatively easy to pronounce, whereas his! Phew, all those accents! When did they live, by the way?

Emperor Dom Pedro II ruled Brazil between 1831 and 1899. He belonged to the House of Bragança, and was the last Emperor of Brazil. Actually he was only the second one, the first one was his father, Pedro I ( Pedro de Alcântara Francisco António João Carlos Xavier de Paula Miguel Rafael Joaquim José Gonzaga Pascoal Cipriano Serafim de Bragança e Bourbon ). Before him, Brazil belonged to Portugal, and after Pedro II, it became a Republic.

Don't you love your own names now? And don't you think Alix's name was very small for comparison?  ;D

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 18, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »
Having a name like that could kill you.  If a rock was falling towards him, by the time you said "Look out Pedro de Alcântar João Carlos Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga."  he'd be squished!

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #276 on: July 19, 2010, 10:03:36 AM »
Having a name like that could kill you.  If a rock was falling towards him, by the time you said "Look out Pedro de Alcântar João Carlos Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga."  he'd be squished!

{*laughing*}

That's Brazil's royality!

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 19, 2010, 03:32:59 PM »
I guess they probably called him Pedro, and his daughter Isabel.

Yikes, I just counted Pedro I's names, and he has 18! Not counting the 'de's. Counting that he has 21 names!  What could his parents have been thinking?!

I would think that if Pedro I had 20 names, he would have named his son less, even less than 14. I wonder if they liked having such long names. Probably not. 
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #278 on: July 19, 2010, 09:55:45 PM »
In Brazil, long names meant you're wealthy. And you're right, GrandDuchessAndrea, they were called "Dom Pedro", or "Infanta Isabel" (Infanta = Princess in Portugal or Spain).

Today we laugh a lot, but back them... the longest your name, the richest you were. I guess that in other countries we can see long names too, like in Spain, but I'm not sure... but I'm missing the point =)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 20, 2010, 06:39:55 AM »
In Britain the more upper crust tended to have longer and more fanciful names, at any rate until recently.

Here it is usual to give a child two names, less commonly three. Only the seriously upper crust (and not many of those) have four.

I think among upper crust Catholics on the continent it is quite common to have lots of names because of honouring the parents' various favourite saints.

Ann Elizabeth (daughter of Richard Thomas Frederick and the late Muriel Elizabeth, and sister of Andrew Thomas Richard)

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #280 on: July 20, 2010, 08:33:08 AM »
In Britain the more upper crust tended to have longer and more fanciful names, at any rate until recently.

Here it is usual to give a child two names, less commonly three. Only the seriously upper crust (and not many of those) have four.

I think among upper crust Catholics on the continent it is quite common to have lots of names because of honouring the parents' various favourite saints.

Ann Elizabeth (daughter of Richard Thomas Frederick and the late Muriel Elizabeth, and sister of Andrew Thomas Richard)

I agree about naming the parents' various favorite saints part! Actually not only saints, but also relatives.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 20, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »
Naming offspring after relations is very much the norm, whatever the religious denomination (or was until recently). Giving saint's names specifically as saint's names seems to be a more Catholic phenomenon.

Godparents' names come into the picture as well. Princess Marie Louise was christened Franziska Josepha Louise Augusta Marie Christina Helena, mostly after various godparents (Emperor Franz Josef was her godfather).

Ann

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 20, 2010, 03:02:03 PM »
Prince Charles is Charles Philip Arthur George. 

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 20, 2010, 08:11:37 PM »
Now that isn't so bad, comparing it to the poor Pedros!

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #284 on: July 20, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »
Now that isn't so bad, comparing it to the poor Pedros!

Yes... now the parents think about their childrens' feelings...  :D