Author Topic: Names, Patronymics, Nicknames and Name Days  (Read 177200 times)

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
Re: Names, Patronymics, Nicknames and Name Days
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2004, 05:32:59 PM »
As my mom used to say, "How can there be peace in the world if there isn't peace at home?"   ;)

It's one thing to disagree with someone or point out evidence to the contrary of what they've stated . . . it's quite another to "dis" that person.  Other posters besides myself have pointed out the occasional lack of civility at this website. And to define civility--the very mention of which I'm sure some people view as laughable and/or dated--I'd say it is, in part, the ability to maintain a level tone, agree to disagree, and refuse to be goaded into a fight.

Two days ago a young man in my area was stabbed to death because he and his twin brother, both of whom were driving along one of our roads, had been having some sort of disagreement with a guy on a motorcycle. The young man made the great mistake of getting out of his truck and approaching the motorcyclist, who then took out a knife. I would like to think that all of us have enough sense on this website to "stay inside our trucks" when someone is goading us into becoming vulnerable.

I've read and reread Nicholas's correspondence enough times to be reasonably confident about why he and his wife named their first two daughters Olga and Tatiana. But for heaven's sakes, of all the topics on this website and in the world, this is not one that should incite flaming.  So here's a suggestion, for this thread and all the others: After you've committed your words to the screen, review them and think how others might view them, and remember that we're not sitting in a room together, able to hear the different tones of voice, so do consider before posting that our words alone--often meant innocently--can appear, on the screen, to be weapons.

I was about to quote that famous Bible verse, "Do unto others as they would do unto you." But I have the feeling that some of us are just a bit more edgy and contentious than others, and perhaps like the idea of some verbal sparring that might leave others bruised and bloodied. With that in mind--plus the example of that young man, age 23, who was just murdered, and for what?--let those who would be wise practice some discretion, which is (as a very clever man once wrote) the better part of valor.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend and stays safe.   :-*   8)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2004, 05:46:28 PM »
Whilst I will be amongst the first to hold my hand up and admit that I love the discussions that fire us all up, I do think that when a new poster tells us that we are intimidating than we have to pay attention to that.
What I would say to new members is that you should try to have the courage of your convictions and if someone is rude then pull them up about it.
Just recently in another thread I became so incensed with someone who I felt was completely dogmatic, bigoted and racist that I had no option but to withdraw from the argument before I posted something that I would probably have regretted.  I did that for my own benefit, because, although the discussion stumbles on, I knew that I could not contribute positively.
There is a very broad cross-section of members on the Board in terms of age, experience and learning - and it is supposed to be enjoyable.  If one doesn't like scrapping, than stay away from the scrappers; new people will soon find out who they are.  Equally there are people who enjoy a nice light topic; let's not forget the in-betweens which probably covers most of us.  It won't harm us to spare a quick thought when replying about the feelings of the recipient.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2004, 05:49:54 PM »
 So here's a suggestion, for this thread and all the others: After you've committed your words to the screen, review them and think how others might view them, and remember that we're not sitting in a room together, able to hear the different tones of voice, so do consider before posting that our words alone--often meant innocently--can appear, on the screen, to be weapons.

I read and reread my comments and I still can't see why people took it so strongly. I agree that in a posted message people can't hear one's tone of voice. I just corrected someone's mistake and then asked for a favor. That's all! So if in the process of doing so I have upset anyone I sincerely appologize. It was a simple case of misunderstanding and was certainly not my intention.
Татьяна: Кто ты - мой ангел ли хранитель?

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2004, 05:58:37 PM »
Johnny, I wasn't pointing a finger at you specifically, and was actually thinking about a lot of other threads that have gone from 0 to 80 in a matter of seconds, rather than this one!  But I do think it's true that many of us (yours truly included) are feeling a bit edgier than usual these days. Too much going on in the world, and too many anxieties connected with end-of-the-year expectations.  And I admit that in reading these latest entries, I had simply "had enough." (Every now and then, I guess the former elementary school teacher in me decides to blow her playground whistle!)  So please, "no worries," and have a good weekend!  :)

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2004, 06:13:40 PM »
Johnny,
Thanks for your explanation. I also apologize, if I misunderstood the tone of your post. I guess the sentence that made me uncomfortable was when you said "In a world of misinformation, I would like to ask our dear members not to speculate if they do not know something for a fact. And if they do so at least mention that it is not backed by any proof."

I guess it bothered me because I myself often post things that I just "read somewhere" without remembering the specific source for proof, or something that I am just speculating about, but I would still like the freedom to post those thoughts nevertheless. And I also thought that, as a consequence, those who may not know the concrete facts on a particular subject will be reluctant to post their opinions or just what they think if we start asking people to post only what they know is fact.

But I do understand that it's important to at least distinguish between fact and speculation in one's posts, precisely so that those who are not in the know don't get mislead with the wrong information. :)

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2004, 10:34:39 PM »
 :P

Okay, here I go - jumping in the water!  Yikes! :o

As I was the member earlier referred to as being intimidated by posting in fear of being "trashed and bashed" - I want to clarify myself.  
Once again going off-topic, which I assure you isn't my intention in posting on this board (altho' it seems like it today) :-[

What is wrong with being "polite and friendly"?  I thought those were positive attributes?  We can all still have disagreements and opinions that differ without sarcasm and rudeness to people who may have thinner skin than others, can't we?

I want to be a contributor to this site (not just a lurker, as I have been), so many people seem so very friendly and certainly so knowledgeable about the IF - however I have to confess that I always shy away from something that I know is going to cause me to feel shame for a question I ask or an opinion that I may have.  
I'll be the first to say that I wish I were more like others on the board and say "the h*** with them" if I was flamed, but we're all different, right?  ;)

I enjoy a discussion, and certainly respect everyone's opinion, even tho' it might not be my own...I just don't think it is necessary to hurt people in the process.

And thank you Sarai, Janet W. and Martyn for making me feel brave enough to post this!  I normally wouldn't
...but just lurk!  lol.

I look forward to posting and meeting you all - I feel as if I know some of you from reading and reading the board!  

Now - Mele Kalikimaka from Hawai'i Nei!  
(Merry Christmas from the isles of Hawai'i)
Janet R.
:D ;D ;)

Janet R.

rskkiya

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2004, 11:01:11 AM »
Janet R

Please PLEASE reread my post on this, especially the bit about the "small vicious garden gnomes" OK?
  (HINT ... I don't know of any more obvious way of saying that I am NOT serious in my complaints, but just trying to lighten the mood in here... ::) HINT)
LAUGH OUT LOUD, PLEASE!

rskkiya
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rskkiya »

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2004, 12:48:14 PM »
 ;D ;D

Dear Rskkiya:

Thank you for your posting - I do understand your
lightheartedness and I loved your reference to the
vicious garden gnomes!  I myself am afraid of clowns (lol)!   ;D :o

I just have thin skin - must be from living in the tropics - probably my blood is thin too!  I do have a sense of humor and if something in in way of a reprimand is given, I surely don't mind it, but appreciate it, as long as it is given in a lighthearted manner!   8)

Thank you again - I look forward to being part of your
community.
Regards,
Janet R.
:) ;) :D
Janet R.

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2004, 10:59:55 PM »
Olga= after a character in the Tsarina's favorite play
Tatiana= same
Maria= I'm guessing after Maria Feodorovna or the Tsar's cousin, Maria Pavlovna
Anastasia= No idea
Alexei= after Tsar Alexei The Mild
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2004, 05:19:55 AM »
Well done Koloagirl and good luck; I'm sure that you will enjoy yourself here. (Agree about the clown thing, ever since Stephen King's 'IT')
And Johnny, this discussion was not intended as a reprimand to you.  Some of us are labouring with certain issues in other threads that are a little oppressive at the moment and I know that I seized an opportunity to vent my feelings about that.  Apologies if you felt singled out for criticism.
Where are we with the names, I'm lost?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Martyn »
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Kätlin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2005, 12:37:11 PM »
I have heard that Alexei was named after the first Romanov czar and Anastasia after Ivan the Terrible's first wife (who was one of the first Romanovs who played any part in history).
Unfortunately I can't remember where I read it, but it also said that Nicholas was interested in Russian history before Peter the Great and that's why he chose these names.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2005, 12:56:43 PM »
I have heard that Alexei was named after the first Romanov czar and Anastasia after Ivan the Terrible's first wife (who was one of the first Romanovs who played any part in history).
Unfortunately I can't remember where I read it, but it also said that Nicholas was interested in Russian history before Peter the Great and that's why he chose these names.

Peter the Great was Nicholas's least favorite ancestor. Nicholas was partial to purely Russian Tsars, and Peter was the antithesis of that. Tsar Alexei, Peter's father, was N's favorite and so he named his son after him. Yes, I believe that Anastasia was named after the first Anastasia Romanov, Ivan The Terrible's wife and Mikhail Romanov's great aunt (?). And yes, I believe reading somewhere too that both Olga and Tatiana were named after characters in a play (was it "Eugene Onegin"?). Maria, I have no idea, but in honor of Maria Feodorovna sounds good to me.

P.S. I too have always thought that clowns were quite evil ;) ;D  :P

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2005, 07:06:31 PM »
I have heard that Alexei was named after the first Romanov czar

Alexei Mikhailovich was the second Romanov tsar. His father, Mikhail Fyodorovich, was first in the dynasty.

Offline Kätlin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2005, 01:08:26 AM »

Alexei Mikhailovich was the second Romanov tsar. His father, Mikhail Fyodorovich, was first in the dynasty.

Sorry, I didn't check and got them mixed up.

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2005, 10:06:59 AM »
 I think that Catherine the Great was Ekaterina Alexeevna, not Feodorovna.
Catherine received her name from Empress Elizaveta because of the name of her mother.

I suppose that the finally the name was decided by present ruler ( Emperator or Empresse)