Author Topic: Has anyone else lost the ability to use smileys?  (Read 22133 times)

Alixz

Has anyone else lost the ability to use smileys?
« on: August 16, 2007, 06:19:15 PM »
Just yesterday, I lost the ability to see or use the smiley faces.

All I get are red "x"s and the word smiley or angry or cool, etc.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Has anyone else lost the ability to use smileys?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:20:17 PM »
I have the same problem and am trying to figure out what went wrong.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:55:24 PM »
Just yesterday, I lost the ability to see or use the smiley faces.

All I get are red "x"s and the word smiley or angry or cool, etc.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I have the same problem and am trying to figure out what went wrong.
Me too becuase when I was about to type something everything showed up in red x's and on my posts things came up with red x's all the smiley face expessions are not there.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:49:57 PM »
It just now happened to me. I was looking for a place to post about it when I found this thread. I'm not getting a red X, only the word, and words show up where the face should be. Since yesterday it's had words in place of emoticons on the reply window, but when I clicked the word, the faces still showed up in the post. Now they don't. I also only see words in everyone else's posts.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:53:09 PM by Annie »

ferrymansdaughter

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 05:06:55 AM »
Yes, me too.  Also, I am set up as permanently logged on yet  on Wednesday when I accessed the site, I was not only logged out but I was told (twice) that this site had given me a virus!  However, when my IT people checked they couldn't find anything.

Very odd.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 07:44:16 AM »
me too

Alixz

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 08:24:17 AM »
You know, I got a virus message on my computer just before this happened to me but I didn't think to connect it until  ferryman's daughter just mentioned it.

My Mcafee went crazy, blinking and sending tones and I couldn't get it to stop.  I did the virus check, clean, isolate and eliminate thing and then ran a couple of other checks. 

That was just before I went on line to come here and when I got here I couldn't see the smileys.

I thought that perhaps I had eliminated something from my system with all the cleaning Mcafee had me do, but now that I know that everyone has the same problem, I know it wasn't me.

Maybe there was a virus that has affected all of us or a parasite (my son says that those are worse).  I hate to think this, but perhaps someone has infiltrated the site and sent out a virus to attack this site and also those of us who come here unless we are well protected by our virus software.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 09:29:30 AM »
Yes, me too.  Also, I am set up as permanently logged on yet  on Wednesday when I accessed the site, I was not only logged out but I was told (twice) that this site had given me a virus!  However, when my IT people checked they couldn't find anything.

Very odd.

One of the Pallasart servers was somehow attacked by someone in Moscow who put in a spyware link.  It was caught literally almost the minute it was done, but Bob and Walt were able to isolate and eliminate the problem.  We are 100% safe here guys. Don't worry ever about virus issues on the Forum.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 11:20:34 AM »
thanks FA

Offline tatianolishka_

• Boyar
  • What is history but a fable agreed upon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 12:32:38 AM »
Whew!!! Thank god I missed that. Smilies still aren't working though...

Alixz

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 09:42:59 AM »
I still have no access to the smileys either.

But I am glad that the Moscow problem was caught in time.

Moscow  ??

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 01:56:04 AM »
My virus protection system would not allow me to view this site two days ago. A very strange .com address containing a series of numbers came up instead of the normal Alexander Palace.com URL. The system froze temporarily.

During the day I found that I was unable to access a couple of Moscow + one St. Petersburg website because my system stated that the site was attempting to send me a virus called "downloader" from the selected site. Fortunately the contaminants were blocked. I immediately ran a full virus scan and was declared safe!

I am not able to see the smilies either. It seems that most of us like using them.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Alixz

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 08:28:40 AM »
I believe that "dowloader" was what my virus protection software called it as well.

I am safe and protected, but still no smileys   :-(

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 10:12:24 AM »
I still have no smilies either, just the words. I didn't think anything of it before pthers mentioned it but I was having an awful lot of alerts from my AVG and it popped up to kill a virus at least 3 times one day. Sure am glad I had it, my last 2 computers died of viruses my daughter picked up in chatrooms.

I have another problem, might just be my computer as I have had it for months. I can't stay logged in! Almost every time I refresh the page, make a post or go to a different board, I automatically log out again even though I have 'stay logged in forever' clicked. What should I do? It gets very aggravating.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:14:04 AM by Annie »

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 10:14:22 AM »
Annie,

The being logged out thing has something to do with your cookies and their setting. I don't have that problem. I"ve been logged in for about ten full days now.

The smileys are still down.  Walt is swamped at work, and this just isn't a priority item to fix. Pls be patient.