Author Topic: Jane Grey Museum Update & New Jane Novel Out A  (Read 8424 times)

Offline SonjaMarie

• Lady Jane Grey Fan
    • View Profile
    • Lady Jane Grey Internet Musuem
Jane Grey Museum Update & New Jane Novel Out A
« on: October 13, 2005, 03:40:16 AM »
Hi all,

Been absent awhile, but I thought I'd post that I've updated my Lady Jane Museum with 32 images, 7 of which are related to Bradgate her birth place and home:
http://www.bitterwisdom.com/ladyjanegrey/

Also I've learned that Alison Weir, the author of many nonfiction books about the Tudors and other British Royalty, is having her first novel published in April 2006.

Innocent Traitor
Synopsis
Lady Jane Grey was born into the most dangerous of times. She lived a life in thrall to political machinations and lethal religious fervour. This book presents the story of the wronged women of Tudor England, Lady Jane Grey. It carries the reader through the twists of
Tudor power politics, to her nine-day reign and its conclusion.

So far it is only availible in the UK and no US release date out yet:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0091796628/sonjamariesbu-21

I'm looking forward to this book, I've always enjoyed her other books.

Sonja Marie

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
Re: Jane Grey Museum Update & New Jane Novel O
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 12:06:02 PM »
Oooh, thanks Sonja Marie. I can't wait to read the book! I love historical novels and love all of Alison Weir's books (except the Princes in the Tower, but that's another story  ;D)
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 12:44:32 PM »
There is also the Victorian novel "The Tower of London" by William Harrison Ainsworth which is about Lady Jane Grey. It's very good. It was written in 1840.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bell_the_cat »
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline SonjaMarie

• Lady Jane Grey Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 03:43:30 PM »
Hi,

I actually have many different versions of the Ainsworth book.  Publisher's over the years put out copies with different artwork.  My favourite was one done for kids, the artwork is done in colour and it's beautiful:
Harrison Ainsworth's The Tower of London Retold for Boys and Girls by Alice Jackson - Illustrated by T.H Robinson.

Sonja Marie

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 10:08:45 PM »
Has anyone read 'Nine Days a Queen"? I own it but for some reason never got around to reading it! I think it is a historical novel too, but I am ashamed to say, I am not sure  8).

Offline SonjaMarie

• Lady Jane Grey Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 07:00:16 PM »
Which author?

Sonja Marie

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 08:06:32 PM »
Which author?

Sonja Marie

I think it was Ann Rinaldi... http://www.shop.com/op/~Nine_Days_A_Queen_:_The_Short_Life_And_Reign_Of_Lady_Jane_Grey-oprod-6126366 But my cover looks different, it is the portrait that was recently proven to be that of Katherine Parr...

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 01:23:25 PM »
Has anyone read 'Nine Days a Queen"? I own it but for some reason never got around to reading it! I think it is a historical novel too, but I am ashamed to say, I am not sure  8).

Is it by Anne Rinaldi? If so, i've never read it but a close friend of mine says it's the best historical fiction book she read.

~i

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Grey Museum Update & New Jane Novel Out A
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 04:18:57 AM »
I just finished reading the new Alison Weir novel about Lady Jane Grey, "Innocent Traitor." My husband got it for me on a whim, actually I would never have bought it for myself. I'm usually very skeptical of fictional interpretations of historical figures, and most historical fiction is not really up to par, IMHO. This book, however, is definitely the exception. I thought it was very well done indeed.

Jane's story is told through different voices, including not only her own, but also (for example) those of her mother (Frances Brandon), Queen Mary Tudor, and the Duke of Northumberland. I do think it's easier as a beginning novelist to write in the first person, and to divide the text into what most resemble diary entries, except that they are all delivered in the present tense. Some readers might find this irritating - for the first few pages, I found it irritating, too - but the narrative quickly wins you over. Weir has a genuine feel for the psychology of her characters. She also has an incredible knack for working her heroine into famous events from the reign of Henry VIII - e.g., the burning of Anne Askew, the near-arrest of Katherine Parr. I confess I had a hard time putting this book down. And I agree completely with the reviewer who said that if you don't cry at the end, "you have a heart of stone." What's more, I say this as someone who's never felt much sympathy for Jane! But Weir makes you realize that Jane was a mere child when she was executed, for all her so-called adult opinions and learning. Moreover, Weir stresses again and again that young people in general, but especially very precocious young people like Jane, tend to be extremely opinionated and (much like very elderly people!) generally believe that they know what is best for everybody else. This insight lent me a deeper understanding of, and empathy for, the historical Lady Jane, with her quite pedantic and often unyielding approach to religious matters (an attitude which most resembled that of her cousin Edward VI, who was her exact same age).

All in all, a very impressive debut into fiction by Weir. And apparently she is already writing her second novel, "The Lady Elizabeth," about Elizabeth Tudor's childhood and adolescence. There was an introductory chapter included in my edition of the "Innocent Traitor" book, in which Mary Tudor informs her little half-sister that her mother has been executed for treason. All quite believable and I find myself impatient to read more!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:31:50 AM by Elisabeth »
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »
Innocent Traitor was good but slightly boring because of how much detail there was put into it. Well, of course, it was by Alison Weir, so at times I felt I was reading an informational book! I also thought that Jane's wedding nights were too explicitly described.

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 04:33:33 AM »
I've just finished reading 'In The Shadow of Lady Jane',  a novel about Lady Jane Grey and her times, by Edward Charles (Macmillan 2007). I'm no expert on Lady Jane, but I really enjoyed it. It is excellently researched and extremely well written. I'd be grateful for other opinions.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »
I haven't read the fiction. The facts show Lady Jane Grey to be sadly caught up in the power struggles of others. She paid for them with her life. She was very well educated and a hapless pawn.

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 01:13:08 AM »
Novels based on the life and unjust death of Lady Jane appear to be very popular just now. Here's another one (for younger readers) ~
'Raven Queen' by Pauline Francis (Usborne Publishing, 2007). Very vivid, fast-moving, but (of course) tragic in the end.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 03:59:45 AM »
Has anyone read this article? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/05/ngrey05.xml
The True Beauty of Lady Jane Gray.

I also found this list of Secondary Sources if anyone has read one of these and can recommend one let me know!
http://www.somegreymatter.com/janegreybiblio.htm

and wouldn't We all love to look at these! Primary Sources and then surprisingly some printed Primary Sources that may be available somewhere!
http://www.somegreymatter.com/janegreyprimarysourcebibliography.htm