Author Topic: What was the reason Jane Boleyn aided and abetted Katherine Howard...  (Read 34005 times)

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: What was the reason Jane Boleyn aided and abetted Katherine Howard...
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 02:24:12 AM »
Yes, but where Jane Boleyn had testified against her Husband the first time which helped Henry divorce Anne Boleyn... the second time She misjudged the situation but the Duke of Norfolk was an old Political figure after Power and he must have known that Catherine's past would come out! He wasn't on the right side of Henry the first time and this time finished him off!!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 04:29:24 PM »
Why in the World would the Duke of Norfolk knowing her past and knowing that it would come out at some point would he let her marry Henry?

I am not sure if he knew, or at least knew the extent of Katherine's behavior. The Duchess knew, but she didn't really advertise it, I imagine, since it wouldn't make her look too good.

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 04:45:22 PM »
and remember that we are talking about the Duke's step mother, Katherine's step-grandmother, here, so they weren't particularly close!
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 05:08:11 PM »
and remember that we are talking about the Duke's step mother, Katherine's step-grandmother, here, so they weren't particularly close!

Right.

I don't think the Duke was one bit interested in his niece Katherine until she caught the king's eye, which was when he realized how much he could gain through her. And at that point it was too late for him to start asking questions about her, and I doubt his stepmother would have volunteered any tales. After all, she too had a lot to gain by playing ignorant, and a lot to lose if she started telling all... that is if she knew all. She may not have known even half the story, only guessed, and decided not to open the Pandora's box. It was much easier that way. 

dolgoruky18

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 06:43:12 AM »
Several posters are quite right about Jane Parker, the daughter of Lord Morely and wife of George Boleyn, Viscount Rochford. She did indeed testify against her husband on the charge of incest with the queen his sister. Her motives for doing so remain mysterious. It is true that most writers have assumed that her marriage was unhappy, although it has recently been claimed that it did produce one son, George Boleyn, who died as Dean of Lichfield in the reign of James I.

Lady Rochford continued her habit of spying on Henry's later wives, but became close to Katherine Howard and assisted her by making the arrangements for her 'conversations' with Culpepper. Again, her possible motivation is obscure apart from the fact that she and the young queen were related. Professor Starkey is convinced that no actual act of adultery took place between Katherine and Thomas Culpepper and indeed there is no documentray evidence to support the idea. Lady Rochford is said to have become insane before her execution on the same day as Katherine Howard and there appears to have been some hesitation as to whether or not it was legal to execute a mad person. Norfolk's step-mother, the old Dowager Duchess of Norfolk, was imprisoned in the Tower as was her daughter Lady Bridgewater and a number of other Howards. They were all charged with "misprision of Treason" i.e. knowing all about it, but saying nothing. Within a relatively short time, however, they were all released. Norfolk was not imprisoned until the very end of Henry VIII's reign when his son, the poet Earl of Surrey was arrested for Treason and executed. The Duke his father was due to follow him to the block, but Henry VIII died the night before the sentence was to be carried out. In the power struggles which followed over the next three days, no-one felt strong enough to give the final order. Norfolk survived until released by Mary I and died in his bed.

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 09:15:19 PM »
Why in the World would the Duke of Norfolk knowing her past and knowing that it would come out at some point would he let her marry Henry?

I am not sure if he knew, or at least knew the extent of Katherine's behavior. The Duchess knew, but she didn't really advertise it, I imagine, since it wouldn't make her look too good.

Well, of course she didn't. Katheryn and the Dowager Duchess of Norfolk tried their best to keep quiet but, as it happens with all secrets, it came out.

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 09:16:42 PM »

In Jean Plaidy's Murder Most Royal, those two are described as enemies!

Offline azrael7171918

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 05:03:29 AM »

Actually the Duke of Norfolk did not follow Kathrine to the block.  Henry died before he had the chance to sign the warrant of execution and eventually the Duke was freed and had his property reinstated.

Azrael

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 09:00:37 PM »
Yes, that is true. Mary freed Norfolk because of his fervent Catholicism.

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »
I ordered this through my book club today;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jane-Boleyn-Infamous-Lady-Rochford/dp/0297850814

Bit off-putting that Jane Seymour is on the cover but ya never know. Its supposed to be a "biography"
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 03:08:18 PM »

Bit off-putting that Jane Seymour is on the cover but ya never know. Its supposed to be a "biography"

Good find, Kim - looks like it's brand new! Funny about them using a fragment of the Jane Seymour portrait on the cover, but at least they didn't use the face... I think Jane Boleyn's portraits are not that easy to come by. Last year someone posted a sketch of her somewhere, but I can't find it now. Anyone have it?

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 03:57:05 PM »

That IS Jane Seymour. . . and I think they put Jane Seymour's portrait on the cover to make it look good. Which, I must say, it does.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 04:05:52 PM »
That IS Jane Seymour. . .

Yes, that's what Kim said, it's Jane Seymour on the cover...

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 06:41:48 PM »
i meant it in a 'you're right, it is her' sense. that's why I capitalized the 'is'. :).

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 08:05:52 AM »
OK boys n girls, my bio on Jane Boleyn has arrived and I have just skimmed through it quickly. You know, I think it is going to turn out to be a little gem- it appears to be well researched and thorough and full off nuggets of information. It never occurred to me that Madge Shelton (one of Henry's potential paramours), was Jane's younger sister.
I'll keep you all posted but I must finish re reading Rohl's Purple Secret first.!!
Member of the Richard III Society