Author Topic: Re: Princess Diana - Part 2  (Read 110625 times)

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
Re: Princess Diana - Part 2
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2007, 11:56:14 PM »
Not really. The family has quite a bit of money. Just instead of buying BMWs and diamonds they have children. Disney extends the same privileges to virtually any celebrity, major or minor, that comes through the gate.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2007, 12:43:42 AM »
That's true Disney does! Even my Aunt and I got the VIP treatment..and I just knew an Executive there! ;D .....

um...what happened to the smiley's
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 12:45:42 AM by Mari »

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2007, 12:19:05 PM »
Yes, Grace.
 Just think of the logistics of Diana and her sons standing in lines for  an hour or more!  The mob scene would have been hard to handle, even for Disney. I think the "treated like everybody else" story is nice, but just not practical
As for McDonalds.  Well, I  think that other than photo-ops,  they went without her [but with security] to avoid the same thing. Everyone on this planet knew who Diana was, but the boys could remain reasonbly anonymous without her.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
No bids on Pricess Diana dress
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2007, 07:55:46 AM »
No bids in Diana dress auction

August 23, 2007 - 11:04AM

A pale-blue dress worn by Princess Diana to the 1987 Cannes Film Festival failed to attract bids in an internet auction for charity today, just days ahead of the 10th anniversary of her death.

The silk chiffon evening gown was among 79 dresses that Diana auctioned off for charity at Christie's in New York in June 1997, two months before she died in a car crash in Paris.

The dress, a strapless bodice made of draped and tucked silk designed by Catherine Walker, is one of four of Diana's dresses owned by the WE television network and was put up for grabs on eBay 10 days ago.

However, the gown, which was also worn by Diana to the 1989 London opening of Miss Saigon, did not appear to have attracted any bids after opening offers were invited at $US125,000 ($A154,790).

When the bidding deadline expired at 5pm local time, no offers had been registered.

The auction's organisers, WE TV, were not immediately available for comment.

Proceeds from the sale had been due to go to America's Promise Alliance - a charity dedicated to helping disadvantaged children stay in school.

The WE TV network bought the dress in the 1997 auction for around $US71,000 ($A87,920). Though the gown was later appraised and valued at $US275,000 ($A340,536), experts have recently questioned its true worth.

"If we were to put the dresses up for auction, our auction estimate would be $US20,000 ($A24,766) to $US40,000 ($A49,532) dollars for each of the dresses," a representative from Christie's auction house told the Washington Post.

"The estimates are lower, in many cases, than the prices realised in 1997 because the original prices the dresses were bought at were very high."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22294085-38198,00.html

http://www.pr-inside.com/princess-diana-s-dress-fails-to-attract-r205733.htm

http://www.dailyindia.com/show/168056.php/Dis-favourite-gown-fails-to-draw-bidders

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
Re: No bids on Pricess Diana dress
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2007, 08:00:33 AM »
So what are we supposed to infer from this?  That no one wishes to buy her old clothes any more?  That the reserve was too high?  That the dress itself is not a lovely thing to wish to have?  That no one is interested in Diana any more?

Can't be the latter, of that I'm sure...........
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2007, 08:03:35 AM »
I don't know... I thought it wasn't a bad deal. It's a nice dress. Certainly better than buying some stupid baseball for a million $$. 

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2007, 08:25:20 AM »
I don't know... I thought it wasn't a bad deal. It's a nice dress. Certainly better than buying some stupid baseball for a million $$. 

I agree.  It's quite a well-known dress and one would have thought that Althorp or KP would want it for their collections.

Do we think that Diana's clothes will accumulate value as the years pass, or not?

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2007, 08:29:35 AM »
Do we think that Diana's clothes will accumulate value as the years pass, or not?

Just like with anything else, it probably depends on supply and demand... and how much collectors are willing to pay. But $125,000 seems to be a reasonable asking price for that dress, considering what it is.

I wonder what size the dress is.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2007, 08:41:48 AM »

Just like with anything else, it probably depends on supply and demand... and how much collectors are willing to pay. But $125,000 seems to be a reasonable asking price for that dress, considering what it is.

I wonder what size the dress is.

I agree.  It doesn't seem like a lot of money for the dress.  I wonder how this price compares with garments that come up for sale belonging to other famous royals?

At a guess, I would reackon that the dress is size 10/12 (UK size).  Having met her in real life, she always looked bigger in photos than she actually was.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
I wonder if this type of thing goes up in price because the owner is deceased, like art? In other words, because the quantity will be more limited... I feel so weird talking about it like this!

But this dress actually looks like something that can still be worn for an occasion by whomever buys it, because it's not "over the top", and is tasteful. Not that many people would probably wear it, but really why not. Or is that a really crazy idea?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2007, 09:29:43 AM »

I'd go for the baseball!

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2007, 09:42:30 AM »
You sound like my son Marlene - a passionate Yankees fan.

tsaria

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2007, 09:46:28 AM »
I wonder if this type of thing goes up in price because the owner is deceased, like art? In other words, because the quantity will be more limited... I feel so weird talking about it like this!

But this dress actually looks like something that can still be worn for an occasion by whomever buys it, because it's not "over the top", and is tasteful. Not that many people would probably wear it, but really why not. Or is that a really crazy idea?

Quite possibly.  There wont be any more Walker/Olfield/Azagury creations that have this provenance.

I should think that the dress is very wearable.  All the examples of her clothing that I have seen at KP and Althorp are immaculate, and in most cases show almost no sign of being worn.  It is the kind of dress that has red carpet appeal as well.

However, we know that they are collector's items; both public collections and private collectors have in the past strongly competed to acquire her gowns, which is why it seems a little surprising that this dress has attracted no interest...........

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »

I'd go for the baseball!

To be perfectly honest, I would just buy real estate ;-)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2007, 09:50:52 AM »
There wont be any more Walker/Olfield/Azagury creations that have this provenance.

No, I meant the owner, as in Diana, not the designer. If the owner is deceased, would it be more valuable, rather than an owner who is alive, say, for argument's sakes, Princess Anne?

However, we know that they are collector's items; both public collections and private collectors have in the past strongly competed to acquire her gowns, which is why it seems a little surprising that this dress has attracted no interest...........

Yes, I am surprised too... I think even that the others sold for a lot more, if I am not mistaken?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:53:40 AM by Helen_A »