Author Topic: Re: Princess Diana - Part 2  (Read 138799 times)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
Re: No bids on Pricess Diana dress
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2007, 01:06:18 PM »
Did not Liz Taylor also have a slight different variation of this dress.  I think Helen Rose of MGM did both the Grace and the Liz dress.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2007, 01:09:18 PM »

I like it, although of course it it too sophisticated for a 23-year-old. But compared to some of the other dresses/outfits she used to wear, this is definitely one of the better ones!

You are so correct.  Some of her early attire was definitely dowdy to the max!

TampaBay

And gaudy!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2007, 01:11:34 PM »
This dress also does strange things with her waist.

Well, she just didn't have exactly the right kind of figure for it, otherwise it's a pretty dress. She generally didn't look that good in the "bare look" dresses, IMO.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: No bids on Princess Diana dress
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2007, 01:21:22 PM »

I like it, although of course it it too sophisticated for a 23-year-old. But compared to some of the other dresses/outfits she used to wear, this is definitely one of the better ones!

You are so correct.  Some of her early attire was definitely dowdy to the max!

TampaBay

And gaudy!

Exhibits A, B, C and D :-)

Offline NAAOTMA

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2007, 01:33:26 PM »
Helen, you are right---Diana's waist was not her strong point.

Tampa, yes, Elizabeth Taylor had a Helen Rose variation of this dress in white...and Jacqueline Kennedy had one by Cassini in a clearer, deeper clear shade called "Newport Blue" with a matching stole but no scarf that was supposed to be one of her all time favorites. I saw the JBK dress when it was part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art exhibit of her clothes and it was stunning.

I saw this dress several years ago when it was on tour and what struck me about it was that the zipper in the back was set in poorly and that without the person wearing it, the dress looked like something from an inexpensive shop where American teenagers would buy their prom dresses. In contrast, the white duchesse satin dress with the pearl beaded bolero nearby was a total knockout just hanging on the dress dummy and oozed quality and workmanship.

Offline NAAOTMA

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2007, 01:37:12 PM »
The "Elvis Dress" just posted is NOT the dress I was referring to in my previous post. The dress I saw had a shorter bolero with embroidery and pearls!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2007, 01:39:56 PM »
I saw the JBK dress when it was part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art exhibit of her clothes and it was stunning.

You know, I went to see that exhibit too, but for some reason I can't remember anything about any of the dresses that were there at all! Was her wedding dress there, or am I having a false memory? I may have seen it somewhere else if it was ever on display... maybe a replica  at Madame Tussaud's?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2007, 02:02:03 PM »
I think Jackie's gowns were donated to the Metroplitan Museum  in NYC. She was a  patron  and  a good  friend of Diana Vreeland.  I have the Kennedy auction catalogues and there were no gowns in them. The innaguration ball gown is in the Smithsonian, of course, with the other First Ladies gowns. [Nancy Reagan's was falling apart, last time I saw it]
 That "Klondike"  costume was for some sort of  affair in Canada as I recall.
 I am puzzled as well as to why Diana's dress had no bids. I like it, personally. And the provenance! But maybe because it was Ebay is the reason.  Although  people do spend a lot of money there on cars and even houses. If I were to bid on something that costly, I would want to see it first. And, the big auction houses do charity fund-raing events where they wave the comission and even the staff donates their time.  I hope it does end up in a museum, preferably Kensington.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2007, 02:09:35 PM »
When I make a dubious choice of apparrel--I won't call it a fashion mistake, because I don't aspire to that level!--the item is donated or shredded into cleaning rags, and nobody is the wiser.  But in Diana's case--and that of other famous women--the situation develops a life of its own.

Of the four "exhibits" just depicted, I'm fine with three of them; they were appropriate for who Diana was at the time, or what she was aiming to accomplish. It's my understanding that from the beginning Diana was working very hard at her visual image and, like anyone, making mistakes now and then. That's life!

As for the dress that is the basis of this thread, lovely as it is I agree with NAOTMAA . . . the scarf is problematic. And I agree as well that it does strange things with her waist. I love the skirt, and I think the basic idea of it was wonderful. The Grace Kelly dress NAOTMAA references is, I believe, the one from the famous "To Catch A Thief" scene in which Kelly floats, goddess-like, along a hallway toward Cary Grant, then without a word takes the initiative and kisses him. It was a wonderful concept to pay homage, but Diana's skin tones did not work with the color chosen for her own version of the style, and--in the interest of perfection, right?--I will add that the waist and bust treatment overwhelmed the skirt. So I would say that while it IS a lovely dress and a worthy experiment, it was not one of Diana's most successful looks.

I've seen only one of Diana's dresses in person. It was on display in my area about seven or eight months after her death . . . one of her personal favorites, the one worn while in Paris, "oyster" in color, with a bolero jacket and intricate beading. It was absolutely amazing. The dress was displayed on a slightly elevated platform in a slowly revolving plexiglass (or stronger) case. When I first saw it I was so overcome that I returned to my car and wept. (The outline of a person no longer with us as represented through their clothing is a powerful image; I reacted the same way when I was made responsible, shortly after my father's death, for the disposal of his shoes.) Later I returned to view the dress a number of times, with friends and with my mother, and was able to focus on the beauty of the garment.  

By the way, a number of threads were loose and minus their beads at the back of the dress. I was told it was decided not to make any repairs but to leave the loose threads as is, and I agree with that decision.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2007, 02:25:16 PM »
Of the four "exhibits" just depicted, I'm fine with three of them; they were appropriate for who Diana was at the time, or what she was aiming to accomplish. It's my understanding that from the beginning Diana was working very hard at her visual image and, like anyone, making mistakes now and then. That's life!

Oh yes, without a doubt. I am not the one to criticize someone else's fashion faux pas since I  have been known on numerous occasions to run out in my pajama pants, knowing full well I don't look my absolute best! ;-) I posted those photos for comparison sakes, i.e. to show that the dress we are discussing is a lot more sophisticated and stylish compared to some other outfits Diana wore in the past (such as exhibits A-D). You can say that her style has evolved. As far as the scarf, maybe just a bad shot?

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2007, 03:33:04 PM »
Is this the dress you meant?  Bad pic, but it's all I can find right now.

An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline NAAOTMA

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2007, 05:35:59 PM »
That is the dress that knocked both Janet and myself out when we saw it at different times in different places. At the exhibit I attended, a young man in a wheelchair was wheeled up to the glass case the dress was being displayed in and he then reached out and put his hand, palm flat, against the glass for a very long time. It was as if he was trying to absorb some of her energy. I must admit seeing him do that brought me to tears.

The JBK Wedding Dress was not part of the Metropolitan JBKO clothing exhibit. That dress is kept at the Kennedy Library in Boston and is on exhibit there some of the time along with the engagement ring (remodeled while in the White House) gave her and the "two fruits" pin that JFK gave her when their son was born.

At the Met show, the docent said many of the clothes were going in the deep freeze for fifty years in order to be preserved until a time when repair and preservation will be advanced enough to ensure their survival. That exhibition did include the two fruits pin, which was worn often in her official role as First Lady.

Offline NAAOTMA

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2007, 05:42:05 PM »
I had the same experience as Janet when viewing the Diana dress display. On some there were visible threads, beading coming undone and even places that looked soiled.

On the other hand, the displays at Althorp and Kensington Palace show immaculate clothes.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2007, 06:20:08 PM »
I wonder why the curators are allowing the dress to just "fall apart"? I have not been to Althorp, but the dresses in  the Kensington  exhibit are  in a pristine state.  One of the gowns  sold at  the auction was later  cut up and sold as expensive souvenirs and I think a Franklin Mint doll. I forget which one that was.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2007, 09:05:37 PM »
How ridiculous to cut up a dress. I have read somebody had done the same with a Picasso painting and was selling the small squares as genuine Picassos as well. How ridiculous some people will be.