Author Topic: Events/Personages in modern Greece  (Read 17245 times)

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
Events/Personages in modern Greece
« on: August 27, 2007, 04:04:36 AM »
My mother comes from the southern most part of the Greek mainland. It is a part of the Peloponese called Mani. Very mountainous, very poor and very proud. The capitol of the area is Aeropolis which means the city of the God of war.
Petro bey Mavromihalis named it after himself.
I was just on the phone with an uncle. He just retired from a senior goverment position. University educated etc etc etc.
The fires are swamping the area, the deaths are alot more than the media is reporting, the economy of the area is/has been destroyed.  Another relative is hoping the fires wont cross a creek line or else she will need rescuing. She is 80 something.
The emergency services are swamped, awaiting help from the National goverment. All they have received at the moment after 3 days of fire are either local ie within  100 kilometere resources or the army, but only conscripts, no true fire fighting equipement per se.
It seems that they have been let down.They are waiting for European help etc etc like choppers and trucks, they are on their way but still coming. One would think that prior planning would prevent piss poor performance. Not in this case.
I feel qualified to make these comments as living in Australia I know what a bushfire is and have some limited experience in fighting them.
The politicians are raving like mad dogs accusing each other of incompetence but  that isnt putting out the fires.
Sorry to deviate from the issue which we are all here but I thought you would like to know.
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.
1 Peter 2:17

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Events/Personages in modern Greece
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 05:55:03 PM »
I think the very worst about it all is that these fires are said to be the work of arsonists. These people are really unforgivable.

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 12:19:51 PM »
The King has made announcements on his website.

He and Prince Pavlos visited the destruction of the areas around Ancient Olympia.

The Anna-Maria Foundation is pledging 200,000 Euros to the fund the state has opened.  It is also promising continued support to the Fire Volunteer Service.

Regards to all.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 08:44:40 PM »
Yet again the republican government of Greece manages to let both the people and country down...why do I always feel that when the monarchy was thrown out, Greece lost!

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 12:28:27 AM »
Because you are correct.
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 10:27:08 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6970320.stm

And it doesn't get any better,al ot of work to do for the Anna Maria Foundation.

Je Maintiendrai

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 08:23:27 PM »
Yes Greece certainly lost out badly. The treasonous Colonels and their followers should have been punished severely. Of course they were all let off. Republics tend to do this.

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 07:17:51 AM »
Dimitri.
I dont really think that the Colonels were let off. They did spend the rest of their miserable existence in Korydalos,which is recognized as one of the worst prisons. However, a lot of people would say that even that was too good for them and they should have been put up against a wall and faced a firing squad! Although Republics do tend to be more lenient on their political prisoners than other forms of goverment may I draw your attention to that shambles France, and her so called First Republic. They guillotined lots back then.
Even their so called own.
The issue with Greece is that there has existed a culture of take what you can today, for tomorrow there will be nothing left. And that is exactly what we are seeing, weak, disorganized and self centred goverments/politicians worrying only about themselves and not the people.
H.M The King has graciously allocated funds to assist those in need, however,I feel that those funds will   inadvertantly be mispent by the Greek goverment as I have read is happening as we speak with funds the goverment itself has allocated. I would suggest that the Anna Marie Foundation supervise  its funds very closely.
Also, now is the time that Greece requires strong and effective leadership, and alas they are definately lacking in it! Both political parties are too busy blaming each other for this fiasco and the lack of planning.Talk is that there is not a tree left in all of Peloponissos.
This could be a very good signal to some young Prince's that their country needs them.
i hope they are listening.   
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 07:22:41 AM »
Yet again the republican government of Greece manages to let both the people and country down...why do I always feel that when the monarchy was thrown out, Greece lost!

Arturo Beéche

really! and what what would it that we lost?????
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 09:54:12 AM »
dare I say the possibility of respect? certainly it was rather dubious when the colonels were overthrown that the monarchy was not reinstated as that was the legitimate system of governance in greece before the illegal coup

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 04:10:30 PM »
I'm afraid the greek royal family lost power while queen frederiki was in charge.

greece wouldnt be any better or worst king or no king at all. we greeks are able to do the best and the worst at the same time. we never had a state to be proud of but we were all aware of that. before and after the fires!
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now it’s all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 06:40:23 PM »
A shame really, the Greeks brought the light of democracy,medicine learning etc etc to the world, a pity we couldnt keep a candle of it for ourselves!
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 11:31:32 PM »
Greece had a great King under George I. Many of the subsequent Kings were also very good. It's a shame corrupt politicians ruined things and that Greece got herself entangled in so many wars. Greece has everything going for it except the will to be strong and united. It is ideally placed and receives heaps of EU monies. Why can't it get its act together? As far as blaming Queen Frederika that is ridiculous. She did her best to help the Greek people and has been painted as if she were the wicked witch of the west. That is ridiculous and a lie painted by her enemies.