Author Topic: The Imperial Children's Remains Discovered FAQs. Please Read!  (Read 121948 times)

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: The Imperial Children's Remains Discovered FAQs. Please Read!
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2008, 03:50:51 PM »
National Geographic Magazine will be running a small story about these remains as well in I believe the next issue to be released.  They interviewed Bob yesterday and had him fact check the story for them.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2008, 05:09:05 PM »
... and another US laboratory (UMass?) were able to extract DNA from their samples

Yes, UMass.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2008, 06:00:15 PM »
The following was announced (in part) in Russia on the evening of April 1, 2008:

"Today the Armed Forces Identification Laboratory in the USA could not answer the question that was sent from Russia: whether the remains found last summer near Ekaterinburg belonged to Nikolai II's children.

Following the difficulty of the work the American geneticists have stated that the extraction of DNA from the obtained samples was not possible.

.... Now the American scientists say that these fragments are not suitable for research, as they are too small and in bad condition.

In spite of the result from the University of Massachusetts ...."

Translation and information provided by Margarita Nelipa [for A. P. Forum members]

I'll try to explain this. ...

I also gather that the Russians and another US laboratory (UMass?) were able to extract DNA from their samples -

No DNA was able to be extracted from either of the 3 samples received by the University of Massachusetts.

In spite of (irrespective of) this result (at the University of Massachusetts)  the work will continue with other samples.

Trust this is more clear.

Margarita Nelipa

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2008, 07:08:09 PM »
No DNA was able to be extracted from either of the 3 samples received by the University of Massachusetts.

Actually, according to this recent article from UMass site, it sounds like they were able to extract some useful DNA from their samples, unless this is just badly worded and they are actually referring to the 1990's tests...

"The delicate work proved that, indeed, useful DNA could be extracted from a very small amount of the material a critical fact, since they wanted to preserve as much of the bone fragments as possible out of respect for the victims."

http://www.telegram.com/article/20080404/NEWS/804040614/1116
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:12:39 PM by Helen_A »

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2008, 08:37:40 PM »
The following was announced (in part) in Russia on the evening of April 1, 2008:

"Today the Armed Forces Identification Laboratory in the USA could not answer the question that was sent from Russia: whether the remains found last summer near Ekaterinburg belonged to Nikolai II's children.

Following the difficulty of the work the American geneticists have stated that the extraction of DNA from the obtained samples was not possible.

.... Now the American scientists say that these fragments are not suitable for research, as they are too small and in bad condition.

Translation and information provided by Margarita Nelipa [for A. P. Forum members]

I also gather that the Russians and another US laboratory (UMass?) were able to extract DNA from their samples -

In spite of (irrespective of) this result (at the University of Massachusetts)  the work will continue with other samples.

Margarita Nelipa

Thanks, Margarita. I appreciate your taking the time to clarify this issue.

Offline J_Kendrick

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2008, 09:44:13 PM »

Margarita Nelipa

Thanks, Margarita. I appreciate your taking the time to clarify this issue.

There may be a misunderstanding here that needs to be corrected.

The tests being done at the AFIP and the tests being done in the lab at the University of Massachusetts are *not* the same tests.

The samples collected from Ekaterinburg in November by Dr. Anthony Falsetti from which the AFIP in Rockville, Maryland has been unable to extract DNA are not the same samples as those now being tested at the University of Massachusetts in Worcester, Massachusetts by the Russian DNA scientist Dr. Evgeny Rogaev... who is only making use of the fact that he has access to the university lab in Worcester because he works as a professor both in Moscow *and* at the University of Massachusetts.

JK

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »
The tests being done at the AFIP and the tests being done in the lab at the University of Massachusetts are *not* the same tests.

Right, they are two different labs.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2008, 09:16:52 AM »
Dr. Soloviev has contacted the APTM and asked us to not publicly discuss his findings and conclusions prior to the release of his paper and announcement on the matter.  We will of course honor this request.  I apologize for any removed posts.  We will of course present his findings the moment they are made public, for review and discussion.

Thanks.
FA

Peterhof

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »
Did Dr. Soloviev give you an idea on when this would happen?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »
My guess is at least a couple of months...

Peterhof

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2008, 01:01:11 AM »
Today I saw on news TV that the scientist (actually I don't know if in the US or somewhere else) found that DNA extracted from bones are from Alexei and Maria.  Does anyone have more information on this?

Lalee

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2008, 08:22:10 AM »
I can't figure out whether one of the newly discovered remains are that of Anastasia or of Maria, because evidence changes all the time. This is truly a fascinating and difficult mystery...

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2008, 08:23:29 AM »
I can't figure out whether one of the newly discovered remains are that of Anastasia or of Maria...

They will never know for sure, but does it really matter as long as everyone is accounted for?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2008, 08:32:48 AM »
National Geographic Magazine will be running a small story about these remains as well in I believe the next issue to be released. 

Will this be in the May issue?