Author Topic: Abdication Railway carriage  (Read 4159 times)

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Abdication Railway carriage
« on: September 11, 2007, 12:51:03 PM »
I wonder whether anything from the carriage in which Nicholas II abdictaed at Pskov remains?

Offline Pegschalet

• View Profile
Re: Abdication Railway carriage
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »
In 1929, the carriages were given to the Peterhof Museum.  A platform was built and they were placed in the Alexandria Park as a museum exhibit.  Most of the decor and objects survived into the 1930s but unfortunately the carriages were destroyed during WWII.  Some of the objects survived and remain at the Peterhof Museum Complex.

Here is a list of a few items that survived:
A silver and crystal inkpot in a leather box by J.C. VIckery London 1903. In the saloon-car compartment
wood enamaled brass and bronze, In the saloon-car compartment.
Faience with green glazing, Vases In the saloon-car compartment
From Nicholas II's study:
a Faberge ash-tray and paper-knife
a Gilded bronze, crystal and marble writing set.  Can be seen in photos of his desk.

A silver, glass and marble writing set from Alexandra's study.

Also Nicholas' diary and the abdication paperwork are in the State Archive of the Russian Federation

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 07:05:25 PM »
Thanks for all of your trouble. What a shame the carriages were lost. Trust the damage to have been caused, like so much else, during the German invasion. 

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:34:51 PM »
A few years ago, The Hermitage sent a grand exhibit of treasures to Las Vegas. They had the "abdication carriage" in the exhibit. It was just the interior, not the actual train car. So some of it was saved or salvaged.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:06:46 PM »
or perhaps recreated Robert?

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 09:08:14 PM »
I just thought I wonder how close the recreation of the carriage they used in Nicholas and Alexandra with Michael Jayston as Nicholas II for the abdication scene was?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 09:50:27 PM »
They said it was the origanal fittings and fixtures, It really was a lot smaller than one would have imagined. I still have the catalogue here somewhere.
 The N&A train was a movie set, of course, so liberties had to be taken to accomodate filming.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 02:37:25 AM »
Yes of course Robert. I must admit I enjoyed those scenes very much. I loved the scene with Irene Worth as the Dowager Empress and Michael Jayston as Nicholas II. I know the timing was all very wrong but the dramatic elements were terrific. What a shame she did not feature more in the film as she was truly a great actress.