Author Topic: Re: Anastasia Claimant - Anna Anderson a.k.a Franziska Schanzkowska Part 7  (Read 180999 times)

Alixz

Re: Anastasia Claimant - Anna Anderson a.k.a Franziska Schanzkowska Part 7
« Reply #345 on: June 26, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »
The best books to begin with, if you are interested in claimants, are Anastasia - The Riddle of Anna Anderson by Kurth and Anastasia - The Lost Princess by Lovell.

However, keep in mind that both books, though they come across as biographies, are not and should be treated as the fiction they are.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2009, 03:45:24 PM »
I think what Angelle meant when she said who the claimants really were, was not that they were the Romanovs but that she was interested in their real identities as people, like AA being Franziska Schanzkowska. A good book that mentions the claimants although it's not wholly devoted to them is Robert K. Massie's last book on the Romanovs' deaths, I can't recall the title. There is a book about Vasily Filatov's claim to be Tsarvitch Alexei, too. Also, At the Court of Anna Anderson, is the most recent book on AA, published in 2007. There's a VERY interesting chapter on what motivated the claimants to be claimants in Wendy Slater's book the Many Deaths of Tsar Nicholas II, it's more academic and only occupies one chapter of the book, but it is enlightening.

Alixz

« Reply #347 on: June 27, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »
I think you mean - Romanovs - The Final Chapter  By Massie.

I see what you mean now.  I misunderstood her question.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:42:07 PM by Alixz »

Offline Angelle

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 28, 2009, 02:00:52 PM »
Thanks Alix and Imperial Angel, I will definately look up (or attempt to!) your suggestions! I don't think I did make myself clear...I did believe there were survivors, but I know from DNA and other scientific investigations this is not the case and I accept it (although, as I said I was heart broken!). As Imperial Angel said I am interested in who they really were and why they claimed to be someone they weren't...I have a thoery with AA that being Anastasia was better then being Franziska, from what I've read she had a really tough time of it and was probably mentally ill.
 Years ago my dad told me that one of the Anastasia claimants was probably a servent in the Royal court (he'd read a book about her) but he couldn't remember her name...was this Eugenia Smith does anyone think?

Offline EPHMOC

• :)
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Anastasia Claimant - Anna Anderson a.k.a Franziska Schanzkowska Part 7
« Reply #349 on: October 22, 2009, 04:25:36 PM »
Does you know the day when Franziska escaped from Poland?
FS had never been in Poland ;)

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 25, 2009, 12:03:38 AM »
Thanks Alix and Imperial Angel, I will definately look up (or attempt to!) your suggestions! I don't think I did make myself clear...I did believe there were survivors, but I know from DNA and other scientific investigations this is not the case and I accept it (although, as I said I was heart broken!). As Imperial Angel said I am interested in who they really were and why they claimed to be someone they weren't...I have a thoery with AA that being Anastasia was better then being Franziska, from what I've read she had a really tough time of it and was probably mentally ill.
 Years ago my dad told me that one of the Anastasia claimants was probably a servent in the Royal court (he'd read a book about her) but he couldn't remember her name...was this Eugenia Smith does anyone think?

One topic that's never been covered to my knowledge is how many of the stories of Ekaterinburg surviviors mentions the survivor going to Romania. I believe Eugenia Smith was a Romanian, she was not a servant at the Imperial Court.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »
I first heard of this back in the late 70's, on a show called In Search Of, which was hosted by Leonard Nimoy (who of course played Spock on Classic Star Trek).  I recently found that episode on YouTube and watched it.  They interviewed people on both sides of the fence.  At that time, AA was still alive, and living in Viriginia, and they talked to her and her husband, John Manahan.  Actually, John seemed to do most of the talking.  At one point, when AA is asked about the ongoing attempts to prove or disprove her claim, she said "I spit on them!"

Of course, back in the 1970's, there was still some doubt.  By the time the DNA tests debunked her claim, both Anna and John Manahan were dead (she died in 1984, he died in 1990).  I sometimes wonder about John, did he really believe AA was Anastasia, or was he a willing part of the con.  I guess we'll never really know.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 16, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »
Just my opinion, but it seems to me that John Manahan was very eccentric. And I think by then FS believed her own con.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #353 on: April 17, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »
The best books to begin with, if you are interested in claimants, are Anastasia - The Riddle of Anna Anderson by Kurth and Anastasia - The Lost Princess by Lovell.

However, keep in mind that both books, though they come across as biographies, are not and should be treated as the fiction they are.

From what I understand,  Lovell taped his interviews and his book was suppose to have been taken from these interviews.  It was here on AP I learned that Lovell took great liberties with his information.  Kurth did not take such liberties.   Kurth's  book is not fiction but filled with facts after a great deal of research, added to this he knew AA.  Kurth's conclusion was:  AA was GD Anastasia.  Many of us did not believe AA was GD Anastasia.  As far as I was concern, all of us  have the right to their opinions.  Years later  after the discovery of the main grave and the smaller graves, plus DNA tests,  Wilson and Penny are writing their own book.

I, too, am  looking forward to  their  book about AA  since  it was promised to us some ago  here on AP by Wilson.

AGRBear

"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 17, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »
And I think by then FS believed her own con.

Yeah, I guess that after more than fifty years, FS could have come to believe she was Anastasia.  She might have so convinced her self that she could have passed a lie detector test.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
Greg and Penny's publisher demanded a total re-write from a different perspective.  All will be answered when the book is published late this year or early next.  I read the last "final" draft before the new rewrite and I can promise you that it all will be clear and makes total sense.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #356 on: April 18, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »

One topic that's never been covered to my knowledge is how many of the stories of Ekaterinburg surviviors mentions the survivor going to Romania. I believe Eugenia Smith was a Romanian, she was not a servant at the Imperial Court.

One of the reasons AA, Smith and others talked about escaping Russia through Rumania was because that was a popular route. 

It was the same route most of my ancestors entered Russia as they moved one step ahead of Napoleon's army and the way they escaped a hundred years later as the Bolsheviks took control of Russia.

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »
Greg wrote me last night and gave me permission to tell you guys that their FS as AA book will be published next January.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 21, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I look forward to reading it when it comes out.

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 21, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Great news!  Definitely a "must read" - I think the story of how this woman perpetuated this myth throughout her lifetime and beyond is just as fascinating as if she really had
been GD Anastasia!

Can't wait - January is a long way off darn it!

Janet R.
Janet R.