Author Topic: Family life of Imperial Russia?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline terijbrown

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Family life of Imperial Russia?
« on: November 16, 2004, 01:39:46 PM »
Hi all,

I am a freelance writer and I am working on a quick turnaround piece on the life of a child in Imperial Russia. I would love some links to get my research started. (this is a historical fiction sort of thing for a children's mag) Specifically, I need info on family life of upper class families. What kind of toys did they play with, what sort of food did they eat, how were they educated. I know this is pretty broad, but I am stabbing in the dark here on a very tight deadline.  
Thanks
Teri Brown

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Family life of Imperial Russia?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:52:53 PM »
You should really start with the standard text, "The Family in Imperial Russia: New Lines of Historical Research," edited by David L. Ransel (University of Illinois Press, 1978). Andrew Wachtel of Northwestern University has also written a very good scholarly work about childhood as depicted in nineteenth-century Russian literature.

Otherwise, I would recommend going back to the primary literature, i.e., Russian literature, with its many vivid, justly famous portrayals of childhood. See Leo Tolstoy's brilliant novels, "Childhood," "Boyhood," and "Youth," and the family chapters of "War and Peace," as well as Goncharov's "Oblomov" (specifically the chapter, "Oblomov's Dream").  There is also S.T. Aksakov's semi-autobiographical classic, "The Family Chronicle" - although as far as I recall that deals with a Russian family in the late eighteenth, early nineteenth-century. If you are going back as far as the 1820s and 30s, then the opening chapters of Aleksandr Pushkin's "Eugene Onegin" are also worthy of a peek.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Elisabeth »
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline terijbrown

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Family life of Imperial Russia?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 02:35:12 PM »
Thanks for the help... this has to be done very quickly:) Maybe I will take a quick trip to the library.
Teri