The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
September 20, 2014, 02:59:56 PM
461998 Posts in 8955 Topics by 14514 Members
Latest Member: hisbuff
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about Russian History
| |-+  Imperial Succession and the Throne (Moderators: LisaDavidson, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Sumner Moore Kirby
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Sumner Moore Kirby  (Read 7800 times)
« on: November 14, 2004, 10:40:33 AM »
Robert_Hall Offline
Velikye Knyaz
a site. Posts: 6652

View Profile

Despite growing up in a Civil War battlefield town, I am pretty dumb on US history. But, I do know the name Sumner Moore, but not WHY ? Who was he and his descendant Sumner Moore Kirby, first husband of G. D. Leonida, mother of G. D.  Maria V. "curatrix" of the Romanov throne? And, why did he die in a Nazi concentration camp ? [he was American, I presume].
Best,
Robert

Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.
Reply #1
« on: November 14, 2004, 11:55:22 AM »
LisaDavidson Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

57. SUMNER MOORE KIRBY.
My American Protestant Grandfather was arrested by the Vichy on Dday,1944 and then sent to Camp Noe,then to Buchenwald,and on to a subcamp name of "LEAU" to his death? I would appreciate any help.My grandfather's name was He was the son of Fred Morgan Kirby,partner of F.W.Woolworth.He was arrested and eventually murdered and even though there may be many reasons WHY,I still have not procured the one document which tells me WHY he was arrested in the first place,or WHY he was beaten to death by guard within camp Leau.
Cassandra Kirby-Conahay Freund
CKCF1@aol.com

The above was posted on a "Holocaust Forgotten" website. But, the answer to your question, Bobby, is that at present it's unknown why Sumner Moore Kirby was killed by the Nazis. I didn't know he had grand children, I always thought Helen Kirby was his only child.

WASPS tend to use surnames as first names, so it would be interesting to see which ones Sumner Moore is named after.
Reply #2
« on: December 27, 2004, 12:50:31 AM »
cassandra Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 2

View Profile

I have been researching my g'father's murder for 13 years now .I grew up with the knowledge that my family fortune had shifted dramatically when my g'father died at LEAU,subcamp of Buchenwald.His bother absconded with all he could and left very little for his two daughters ....my mother Gloria and her half sister Helena.
If I can be of any help to you please do get in touch.This is all very important to me.
CKCF1@aol.com
Reply #3
« on: December 27, 2004, 11:45:29 PM »
LisaDavidson Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Cassandra - It would be wonderful to hear more about your grandfather. I have private messaged you about this, but whatever you'd like to share with us would I am sure be appreciated.
Reply #4
« on: December 08, 2005, 08:10:12 AM »
conahay Offline

View Profile

My grandfather Sumner Moore Kirby was named after his father's best friend and business partner, Sumner Woolworth. I know of no connection to the Sumner Moore mentioned. Sumner lived in Nice, France and was arrested by the French authorities in 1944 along with several other foreign residents, including Americans and Britons. He was held at No and deported to Germany where he was held at Leau until his death on April 7, 1945. He had daughters with his first wife Doris (Gloria) and with his third wife Leonida (Helene). He had divorced Leonida, who subsequently married Vladimir, a pretender to the headship of the Russian imperial family.  
Richard Sumner Conahay
Reply #5
« on: December 09, 2005, 12:45:24 AM »
Macedonsky Offline
Boyar

View Profile WWW

My grandfather Sumner Moore Kirby had daughters with his first wife Doris (Gloria) and with his third wife Leonida (Helene).

What is the precise spelling of the second daughter's name: HelenE or HelenA Louise?

Also Cassandra said that SMK died on April 11 - what is the correct date?

Finally, any ideas about connections between families of SMK's second and third wifes, both of Bagration descent?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by macedonsky » Logged
Reply #6
« on: December 09, 2005, 12:25:19 PM »
conahay Offline

View Profile

Helene. Elena is Spanish.
April 7 or April 11, hard to be sure as some reports say one date others the other.
He apparently had a penchant for Bagration women.
Reply #7
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:31:52 PM »
Prince_Christopher Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Does anyone know the name of Mr. Kirby's second wife, who was also from the Bagration family?

Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero
Reply #8
« on: May 28, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »
Macedonsky Offline
Boyar

View Profile WWW

Does anyone know the name of Mr. Kirby's second wife, who was also from the Bagration family?
Valentine Wagner:
http://macedonsky.narod.ru/agnates/smkirby.html
Reply #9
« on: May 28, 2006, 11:26:04 AM »
Prince_Christopher Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Thanks, Macedonsky!

Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: