Author Topic: Pronounciation  (Read 224031 times)

Offline Caleb

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Pronounciation
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2005, 07:00:20 PM »
I thought "Ivan" was Russian for John, at least that's what I've read.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2005, 02:00:16 AM »
They both are. Ioann is more old-fashioned, Orthodox style that's all, more or less straight from the Greek pronunciation. Ivan is a bit more 'Russified' if you like. For example, St John of Kronstadt is Svyaty Ioann Kronshtadskiy.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2005, 12:13:45 PM »
Is it true that the correct pronunciation of Anastasia's name isn't Anastasia, as is usual today but that it was Anastazia, like that?

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2005, 12:36:38 PM »
My understanding is that in Russian, it's pronounced ah-nah-stah-SEE-yuh.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

julia.montague

« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2005, 12:51:38 PM »
Is it true that the correct pronunciation of Anastasia's name isn't Anastasia, as is usual today but that it was Anastazia, like that?

It's not like Anastaisha (I hate this pronounciation of this beautiful name)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2005, 01:19:36 PM »
I thought that was wrong, although I have always pronounced it this way-I will try to pronounce it right. My sister always pronounced it this way, and so she is right. ;) ;)

lovy

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2006, 02:12:58 AM »
I think the right pronounciations for Tatiana is: "Tat-ee-ahni." And I think Anastasia's pronounciation is: "An-a-stas-i."

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2006, 02:51:48 AM »
No, the ending "ni" and "si" are not correct. The endings are "naa" and "siya". ;)

marina

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2006, 06:34:00 AM »
In russian, pronunciation changes according to the tonic accent : o can become a, e becomes i, ...  The last vowel of a name or word is a little bit different if it's not emphasized, you almost can't hear it. So the last /a/ in Tatiana and Anastasia and in every name finished by /a/ is a mix between /i/ and /a/.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by marina »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2006, 07:23:57 AM »
When I say "Tatiana" in Russian I hear "a" in the ending. When we begin declining a word, f.e name "Tatiana" of course you can hear "e", "oy", "i" and so on. I understand that our Russian language is quite difficult but when we speak "TatianA" we hear "a". :)

marina

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2006, 09:31:14 AM »
I understand that our Russian language is quite difficult but when we speak "TatianA" we hear "a". :)

Definitely!!!!

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2006, 09:31:55 AM »
I think the right pronounciations for Tatiana is: "Tat-ee-ahni." And I think Anastasia's pronounciation is: "An-a-stas-i."

No, the 'i' ending puts the name in the genitive, I believe. ;)

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2006, 01:51:11 PM »
Ritka is correct.  Perhaps Lovy heard these pronunciations in a video where a Priest is commemorating them at a memorial service.  

Offline Sainte-Claire1875

• Boyar
  • Ksenia Aleksandrovna, sister of Nicholas II
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2006, 05:32:53 PM »
With the 'i' or 'ie' endings, those are more of a French variant, as European royals were fleuent in French, as it was the court language. This explains why many people who knew the IF and wrote about them called Anastasia "Anastasie".

As far as the Russian pronunciation, Svetabel ought to know, so you can trust what Svetabel has to say. But perhaps, being an English-speaker who is learning Russian, and the way things are pronounced, I might be able to help you...

Tatiana in Russian is pronounced more with the 'ti' being very short, if I am correct, and it would be "TA-ty'Ana" It's hard to write the sound, but hopefully you get what I mean. I don't know really how I ought to explain it...Anastasia has a more short sound on the 'si' and it's less of a 'z' sound I think. I may not be right with Anastasia's name, but I'm pretty sure on Tatiana's name.

Olga's name, if you're interested, is pronounced in Russian more like Ol-GA. The 'L' is very short, almost not even there, kind of like you're saying fast, and the G has a more pronounced sound.

Hope I was not incorrect in anything, and that I explained it well enough.
'The Russian Revolution took almost everything from me but the Bolsheviks left me with one privilage--to be a private person.'--Grand Duchess Xenia Aleksandrovna.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2006, 06:31:42 PM »
The 'l' in Olga is palatised making it soft. Think on the 'ny' in canyon and change it to an L and you'll come close to the correct sound. The 'Si' in Anastasia is stressed.