Author Topic: Pronounciation  (Read 221839 times)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: Pronounciation
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2006, 12:37:12 AM »
But perhaps, being an English-speaker who is learning Russian, and the way things are pronounced, I might be able to help you...

Tatiana in Russian is pronounced more with the 'ti' being very short, if I am correct, and it would be "TA-ty'Ana" It's hard to write the sound, but hopefully you get what I mean. I don't know really how I ought to explain it...Anastasia has a more short sound on the 'si' and it's less of a 'z' sound I think. I may not be right with Anastasia's name, but I'm pretty sure on Tatiana's name.

Hope I was not incorrect in anything, and that I explained it well enough.

Your explaining is quite correct. :) Do you learn Russian? How long?

Offline Sainte-Claire1875

• Boyar
  • Ksenia Aleksandrovna, sister of Nicholas II
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2006, 09:41:56 PM »

Your explaining is quite correct. :) Do you learn Russian? How long?

Thank you. I tried my best ro explain the sounds, but it's not at all easy. I've only been learning Russian for the past year, and I'm not learning the easy way at all--I'm more or less teaching my self with translations and reading things online and in books. I have a couple books in Russian, and I learned most of the Russian alphabet by reading the Russian version of names, mostly the names of the IF. Basically I'm learning by my passion for the Russian language, which to me is the most beautiful language I've ever heard, though many people think that's strange that I think that, but it's true. I love languages anyway, and it's one of my passions... :D
'The Russian Revolution took almost everything from me but the Bolsheviks left me with one privilage--to be a private person.'--Grand Duchess Xenia Aleksandrovna.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2006, 12:31:35 AM »
Rebecca, you are really a tough person if you love Russian language! ;) I myself quite understand all the difficulties of my native language...that's why I love English! ;D

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2006, 09:04:48 PM »
Rebecca, you are really a tough person if you love Russian language! ;) I myself quite understand all the difficulties of my native language...that's why I love English! ;D

Lol. Well, I'm strong enough in certain situations and that, but I don't consider myself tough at all...I am very petite, to say the least, and very 'lady-like' in my actions and my manner--more like a Victorian lady in that way. But there is something about your language which stirs something deep within me, every time I hear Russian...It moves so beautifully to me, and everyone thinks that's odd.

I've found it somewhat easy to learn for me, though language usually does come that way for me. But it's been especially easy for me to learn, despite the difficult way I am learning it. (I'll be getting a computer program eventually to learn it legitimately!) I think English is complicated, because the rules and all of that. Many people think English is harder to learn....Interesting you think of it as easier than Russian?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sainte-Claire1875 »
'The Russian Revolution took almost everything from me but the Bolsheviks left me with one privilage--to be a private person.'--Grand Duchess Xenia Aleksandrovna.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2006, 12:20:24 AM »
I don't think English is easier! :) In fact all languages are difficult. But I find English very interesting, simpler that Russian sometimes and complicated awfully when one begin mixing up all these Past Perfect, Past Perfect Cont., and so on!! ;D I mean tenses of course as in Russian we have only 3 tenses!... :) I am going to improve my Emglsih as I quite understand that I am far from perfect  :(
And I wish you good luck in learning Russian :)

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2006, 07:15:15 PM »
Thank you for the good luck! I know what you mean with everything with English--it can be quite confusing, although having it be my first language, naturally it's not like learning a second language...

And I think your English is very good--I wouldn't have known that you weren't a native speaker by your posts. They're very convincing!! ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sainte-Claire1875 »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2006, 04:29:50 AM »

And I think your English is very good--I wouldn't have known that you weren't a native speaker by your posts. They're very convincing!! ;)

Thank you! :)

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2006, 01:03:58 PM »
You're welcome! :)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2006, 11:38:08 PM »
I know this was already answered, but I'm still confused over it. It seems I've been pronouncing "Livadia" wrong for three years! I want to say Live-uh-dee-a. Yet in a documentry I saw, it was pronounced, Liv-ahh-dia. It may have just been his accent, but I'm probably wrong. Exactly how is it pronounced? It seemed the previous answer could have gone both ways.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2006, 04:21:54 AM »
I know this was already answered, but I'm still confused over it. It seems I've been pronouncing "Livadia" wrong for three years! I want to say Live-uh-dee-a. Yet in a documentry I saw, it was pronounced, Liv-ahh-dia. It may have just been his accent, but I'm probably wrong. Exactly how is it pronounced? It seemed the previous answer could have gone both ways.

In Russian that sounds just as your second variant "Liv-ahh-dia". :)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2007, 11:52:48 PM »
Thanks! Everyone is a great help!

Demidova...

Demi-doe-va?

Or...

Demi-dah-va?

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2007, 01:47:58 AM »
Thanks! Everyone is a great help!

Demidova...

Demi-doe-va?

Or...

Demi-dah-va?

"Deemi-dah-va" is correct.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:50:15 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Johnny

• Graf
  • Never mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2007, 07:39:15 PM »
I don't think English is easier! :) In fact all languages are difficult. But I find English very interesting, simpler that Russian sometimes and complicated awfully when one begin mixing up all these Past Perfect, Past Perfect Cont., and so on!! ;D I mean tenses of course as in Russian we have only 3 tenses!... :) I am going to improve my Emglsih as I quite understand that I am far from perfect  :(
And I wish you good luck in learning Russian :)
Svetabel,

It's strange that most Russian speakers and all Russian textbooks say and believe that there are only 3 tenses in Russian. It is really not true.
Never forget the two big killers, that is the perfective and non-perfective aspects in Russian. They compensate for the relatively simple tense system of the Slavic languages. You may have only one past form for the two aspects, but the perfective put in the past becomes the English Past Perfect, and the non-perfective in the past becomes  Past Perfect Cont. The same goes for the Future tenses. Russian also expresses conditional and subjunctive by using the partical "by". It even gets more complicated in imperative and so on. There is almost no tense or aspect nuances in other Indo-European language that cannot be expressed one way or the other in Russian.
I find the so called only 3-tense-simple-Slavic-language system a lot harder to manage than the supposedly complicated tense system in English, Italian, Spanish or German and so on...
By the way, of the above mentioned languages I like the Spanish tense system the best, since it seems to be the one which has kept best the tense nuances of the original Indo-European language.
Татьяна: Кто ты - мой ангел ли хранитель?

Offline Taksa

• Boyar
  • "Это было прямо феерично!.."
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2007, 01:23:48 PM »
Demi-dah-va?

why Demi-daH-va? why not just Demi-da-va??

anyway I have no problems because of being Russian. ;D
"Тоска ужасная, так долго ехать, so happy to see you soon, my darling love. Felix" - 17.10.1915

Offline viv rosendahl

• east,west, home is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2007, 11:13:17 AM »
A little overdue perhaps, but
Dagmar is pronounced "Dowmar" in Danish, stressing the first syllable!
Dag-mar/Dach-mar is the German pronunciation.

As for Romanov: When I was in Russia, I heard it
pronounced as RoMAnov. However I'll probably
continue saying ROmanov like most non-Russians
seem to do!

Viv