Author Topic: Pronounciation  (Read 219709 times)

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
Re: Pronounciation
« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2010, 09:44:46 PM »
I've never been sure of how to pronunciate these two nicknames:
Shvibzik
Alyoshka

Not sure myself on the first though i've always said Sh-ivz-bick and i could be wrong. i think the other is Al-yo-sh-ka once again could be wrong!
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!

Offline Beautiful_Anastasia

• Boyar
  • I love Chris Massoglia!!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Blackrock Panthers
« Reply #271 on: August 04, 2010, 05:21:36 AM »
I heard the first pronounced in a movie once. "Oh, my poor little Shvybzik!" and he said it like [Shvih-bzikk]
Emily x

Offline Dust_of_History

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 04, 2010, 06:37:27 AM »
Maybe "Shvybzik" has its origins in the German word "beschwipst" [beshvipst] which means "jolly" or "tipsy" in English. :-) But I'm not sure.

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #273 on: August 06, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »
While we're here, how is Tsarskoe Selo pronounced?
I've always pronounced it Sar-co Seal-o... I could be wrong though!

It's more like ['tsarskaj sʲɪel'o:], ['tsa:rskaə sʲɪe'lo:] or ['ʦarskɐje sʲɪ'ɫɔ].

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2010, 03:47:53 PM »
Wow, it's never so bad that there isn't something good to derive from it: In tonight's news segment about Russia's nightmarish project of building a floating nuclear power plant and towing it to the Arctic Sea off Siberia, I did learn that the stretch of water where it was launched, Невa / the Neva, is pronounced /nʲe'va/ with stress on the second syllable!  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:55:31 PM by Fyodor Petrovich »

Offline perfecciona

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 23, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I apologize if this has been asked before how to say Yusupova. I was in the forum, in the Yusupov topic, and reading about Princess Tatiana Alexandrovna Yusupova. I cannot say Yusupova properly. Is it just Yusupov with an 'a' sound at the end?

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #276 on: August 23, 2010, 11:23:26 AM »
I apologize if this has been asked before how to say Yusupova. I was in the forum, in the Yusupov topic, and reading about Princess Tatiana Alexandrovna Yusupova. I cannot say Yusupova properly. Is it just Yusupov with an 'a' sound at the end?
I think it's [ju 'su pɐ və], so stress on the second syllable.         

Offline perfecciona

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 23, 2010, 01:24:39 PM »
I think it's [ju 'su pɐ və], so stress on the second syllable.         

Thank you.

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #278 on: November 01, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »
In the German Duden dictionary of pronunciation I finally found the correct Russian pronunciation of Tsarskoe Selo confirmed: ['ʦarskɐjɐ sʲɪ'lɔ]. In English orthography it would be something like /TSARskuyuh seeLAW/.

Offline Tina Laroche

• Graf
  • Give My Love To All Who Remember Me ~ Olga N.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2010, 08:37:12 AM »
Originally by Forum Admin, I'm just quoting him:

This has been discussed many times before.  The proper Russian pronunciation is "Sars-kaya Syelo"  But here is a very soft "t" sound with the first S, and the "kaya" "a" sounds are not hard like "ah" but soft, almost a cross between "a" and "o", and the "ye" in Syelo is very soft when properly pronounced, and the final "o" is also very soft, like the O in Oscar..  Its kind of hard for English speakers to get right unless they have heard a Russian pronounce it for them.

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #280 on: November 07, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
Originally by Forum Admin, I'm just quoting him:
This has been discussed many times before.  The proper Russian pronunciation is "Sars-kaya Syelo"...[..]

Tina Pavlovna, such a roundabout explanation can perhaps elucidate the pronunciation in IPA I gave above, but it says nothing about stress (so vital in Russian) and is no real substitute for a proper rendering in IPA.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:06:23 AM by Фёдор Петрович »

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #281 on: November 07, 2010, 10:47:46 PM »
Sometimes I wish there were audio files saying things correctly...I know I have been mispronouncing names for 40 years plus!
As Фёдор Петрович  says, where the stress is vital etc.

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
I realize this does not really have anything to do with the Imperial Family directly, but I am wondering how to pronounce the name of the society conversation excersise Queen Victoria did with Alix when she was a young girl and teen, the cercle. Also, something else that is not directly related: Margarethe von Fabrice, Alix's lady-in-waiting. If anyone could clear this up for me I'd appreciate it greatly!
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2012, 11:59:19 AM »
I think the "cercle" is just pronounced like the ordinary "circle" :)

As for Princess Alix's companion:
unlike the English name Margaret (Mar-gret) in the German version you pronounce the second "a" as well. The last three letters are not pronounced like the English "the" but like the first two letters of "TExt" : Mar - ga (british "a" like in MARgret - not the american one) - re (sharp "e" like the first "e" in "Ethel") - te ("TExt").

The "v" in von is like the "f" in fall

Fa (british "a") -bree-ce ("ce" like "s" - but a sharp s like in Sam)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:03:46 PM by Thomas_Hesse »
Meine Kaiserin

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #284 on: June 29, 2012, 04:25:25 PM »
Thank you so much! I appreciate the detailed instructions a lot!
Another German surname I was wondering how to pronouce correctly is Rademacher, and also von Blumenthal. Though of course now I do know how to say von!
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck