Author Topic: Pronounciation  (Read 224199 times)

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Pronounciation
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2005, 05:28:19 PM »
That's a good question, and one I've asked myself many times ever since I watched "Russia: Land of the Tsars" on the History channel a while back, where they pronounced it ro-MAH-nov. I tend to want to pronounce it RO-manov, but the other way kind of just rolls off the tongue, so I might change the way I pronounce it. I'll be curious to see how it is in Russia.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2005, 08:24:28 AM »
According to the handy guide in the back of THE LAST DIARY OF TSARITSA ALEXANDRA, in Russian, the stress falls in the middle of the word:
roMANov

If there's any other name you're curious about, I'm happy to look it up -- they've got answers for anybody Alix mentioned in her diary beginning in January 1918.

FYI: the cook's name is pronounced khariTONov.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Elizabeth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2005, 02:08:22 PM »
Well, then, I've pronounced it WRONG for the past 30+ years (and here I thought my Russian history professor was pronouncing it that way  - the right way! - because he was from the New England area).   ;D

Seriously, it took me until I started taking Russian history classes in college that I knew how to pronounce the majority of the names that I had been seeing/reading for years -

Pobedonostev - Poe - bed - oh - no - stev - and Witte - Vit - tah  (the "w" is pronounced as a "V") - were the trickiest.  Also, Stolypin - Stoll - ee - pin.

AND, I didn't realize I was pronouncing Rasputin's name wrong (you would think THAT wouldn't be a hard one).  until I heard Robert Massie pronounce it.  (I was pronouncing it "Ras - pew - tin")

The way I remember it now is to just think of Vladimir Putin (Poo - tin) and put the "Ras" in front of it.

E-

Offline Tsaritsa

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2005, 03:51:22 PM »
I've pronounced it wrong for nearly as many years, Elizabeth.  So don't feel bad.

Thank goodness I got Rasputin correct.   8)
"Somehow it's always easier to talk brave than be brave."  Hannibal Heyes

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2005, 10:41:24 PM »
In many cases, the stress does fall in the middle of the word, but there are a number of exceptions, such as IvaNOV, GorbaCHEV (sounds like GorbaCHOV), PoPOV, YAkovlev, STOrozhev, etc. Another name that is commonly mispronounced is Anastasia’s. Not « A-na-STAY-zhya » (which drives me nuts!) but A-na-sta-SI-a (sound like A-nas-sta-SSY-ah). It takes a while to get used to say « AnasstaSSYah NikoLAevna RoMAnova », or « AlyekSANdra FYOdorovna RoMAnova », but it definitely sounds more Russian!

Daniel Briere

Offline RussiaSunbeam1918

• Knyaz
  • "You've got to hide your love away." -The Beatles
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2005, 08:34:53 PM »
So how would Nickolaevitch be? on the "LA" also? :-/

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2005, 08:38:19 PM »
I have to say that my ignorance will overcome me here and I think that "Ana-STAY-zha" and "RO-man-ov" sound better to me. ;D

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2005, 10:35:01 PM »
So how would Nickolaevitch be? on the "LA" also? :-/

Nee-ko-lay-ee-vech I think, for Nikolaevich

Offline Elizabeth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2005, 07:53:56 AM »
Actually, I think it's Nick - oh - lie - oh - vich.  For Nicholas, it would have been Alex - and - row - vich.   :D

E-

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2005, 09:03:15 AM »
"Neeko (soft on the long e) - lie - uh (very soft) - vich"

Offline RussiaSunbeam1918

• Knyaz
  • "You've got to hide your love away." -The Beatles
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2005, 10:13:36 AM »
Thanx! :D

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2005, 10:21:51 PM »
Yes, stress for Nikolaevich (or Nikolaevna) is on LA (Ni-ko-LA-ye-vich). I should add that, except on very formal occasions, many masculine patronimics tend to be abbreviated when spoken, with the “ev” (or “ov”) almost muted. Thus NikoLAevich usually sounds more like “NikoLA’yich”. It isn’t the case for the feminine patronimic though (Ni-ko-LA-ye-vna).
Daniel Briere

Offline katja

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2005, 06:39:36 AM »
Hi! :) I come from Poland ( invite all to us  :) ) and Polish language is similar to Russian, so it's rather easy for me :D  to pronounce these words. And I must say, that they sound very tunefully and softly. :)

AlexP

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2005, 07:11:45 AM »
Hi! :) I come from Poland ( invite all to us  :) ) and Polish language is similar to Russian, so it's rather easy for me :D  to pronounce these words. And I must say, that they sound very tunefully and softly. :)

Dear Katja,

My very Russian grandmother always used to that the Polish language was the language of the Gods because it was so soft and pleasant.

Welcome.

With all of the best from Shanghai,

A.A.

AlexP

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2005, 07:11:53 AM »

Dear Katja,

My very Russian grandmother always used to that the Polish language was the language of the Gods because it was so soft and pleasant.

Welcome.

With all of the best from Shanghai,

A.A.