Author Topic: Shorter Than Alexei?  (Read 26667 times)

Olishka~ Pincess

Re: Shorter Than Alexei?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 04:27:52 PM »
I think Tatiana was 5'10, Maria was 5'7, and Alexei was 5'8.
I disagree with you BeautyQueen I highly doubt, Alexei was 5ft 8in tall. We are not sure how tall he was during the execution but we can infer that he was 5ft 4-5 in possibly. Tatiana was not 5ft 10in I think she was around 5ft 8in.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 04:54:23 PM by Elizabeth~Princess »

Offline lunarspacer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 05:00:28 PM »
I disagree with you BeautyQueen I highly doubt, Alexei was 5ft 8in tall. We are not sure how tall he was during the execution but we can infer that he was 5ft 4-5 in possibly. Tatiana was not 5ft 10in I think she was around 5ft 8in.
At the shortest, Tatiana would be 5'8'', though I've always thought she was 5'10''. Your assumptions are reasonable, Elizabeth, since in order to be the tallest she'd have to be taller than the Empress and Marie, who were 5'7'' (I believe). I also agree that Alexei was probably not 5'8''. I'd think he was somewhere between 5'5'' and 5'7''.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »
Your right Lunar I agree with you. I am not exactly sure how tall Alexei is, but I know he is not 5ft 10in but I agree with you, he at least has to be between 5ft 5in- 6in.

BeautyQueen

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
Your all quite correct.

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 06:05:01 PM »
If you actually look at the heights of the girls remains you can get a good estimate. Since we know Olga was 5'5 and Tatiana was about 3 inches taller that would make her around 5'8. Maria's remains say she was about 5'7. Anastasia was about 2-3 inches shorter than Olga in the winter of 1917 which would make her about 5'2.

I still doubt Alexei was almost 6 ft tall. I don't remember seeing any pictures in 1916 or 1917 that show him taller than Olga. If you have any proof at all to support your theory then show it.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline NAOTMAA Fan

• Boyar
  • I love NAOTMAA ....and Holly ...most ardently
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »
Anastasia was about 2-3 inches shorter than Olga who was 5'5. That would make Anastasia about 5'2-53. I remember reading somewhere she was 5'2 but I can't find the source at the moment.
I highly doubt Alexei was 5'7. If he had grown taller than Nicholas that wouldn't be saying much considering he was very short. Pictures taken in Tobolsk show him still rather small and definitely shorter than Tatiana who was 5'7.

I would agree most ardently with this. Maybe give an inch, but you can see from photos that around 5'7-8 is a probable height for Tatiana. And I've read too that Olga was 5'5. Considering all this Anastasia is obviously shorter than Alexei...we've come to that conclusion...Also I beleive Marie was 5'6 on basis of the fact that she shares the same height as a rifle in a photograph taken during the months of confinement at the Alexander Palace. I looked up the standard height of a rifle in WWI and it was 5'6. Now about Alexei's height, I really do doubt with the highest amount of incredulity that Alexei reached 5'8. Nicholas II was said to be 5'4/5 and in the photograph taken in Tobolsk during the winter of 1917, you can see that Alexei is more or less the same height as his father, maybe even the slightest bit less. In regards to everyone else, this is but my own opinion.

OTMA in March 1917:

Tatiana compared in height to her father in winter of 1916:

Maria and the Guard's rifle:

Alexei and Nicholas (imagine them standing straight, you must admit they would be about the same height)

Olga and Anastasia in Tobolsk 1917:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 06:53:22 PM by NAOTMAA Fan »
"...I am in Tatiana's room...Olga and Tatiana are here. I am sitting and digging in my nose with my left hand... Olga wanted to slap me but I ran away from her swinish hand..."
-Anastasia Nicholaievna Romanova, May 8th, 1913

BeautyQueen

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2007, 07:17:05 PM »
The picture of Alexei and Nicholas shows they WERE the same height in 1917.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2007, 07:23:25 PM »
Yes exactly, Alexei and Nicholas were the same height in 1917 after all.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2007, 09:46:38 PM »
The boy had grown a lot, and was at least as tall as Nicholas, by some accounts, taller. I think the idea of Alexei still being small came from some of the drawings you see of them. The statues that show the family, I think in Ekaterinburg (?) and some other art show Alexei as practically a babe in arms as Nicholas carries him. In the Holy Martyr pics (which I like a lot!) he is portrayed as the smallest member of the family, as they seem to have been painted in tallest to smallest based on age. Once people imagine him so small, it's hard to think of him as the long, lanky, growning adolescent he was at the time of their murders.

http://www.freewebs.com/alyoshasunbeam/zpictureforbio8.png
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 09:50:37 PM by Annie »

BeautyQueen

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 11:49:56 AM »
I believe he was around his father's height. Maybe even taller.

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 04:13:14 PM »
Obviously, he wasn't 5'7.
Like I said...
He was about as tall as Nicholas in 1917. Maybe an inch or so shorter, judging by the picture.
And you have to remember that icons aren't meant to be historically accurate. They're painted in a certain way to create an effect on the person who views them.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 04:16:22 PM »

And you have to remember that icons aren't meant to be historically accurate. They're painted in a certain way to create an effect on the person who views them.

I do agree and take that into consideration. I was just saying some peoples' image of the size of the family may have been influenced by such art.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 04:33:31 PM »
I agree with you Holly, I don't think Alexei is that tall I always thought it was around 5ft 5 inches. It is true that Nicholas was 5ft 7in. I think Alexei was close to his height. This is only my opinion. I know this, will continue to be controversy. There are all kinds of different estimates on Alexei's height based on people's opinions.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:37:08 PM by Elizabeth~Princess »

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 09:30:32 PM »
How much can someone grow in a year? If you look at that picture of him and Olga from summer 1917, standing by the lake, as far as I recall, he looks shorter than Olga. In the picture of him sawing wood with the Tsar, he is in the foreground, and the Tsar seems to be on slightly more of an angle than Alexei.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 07:54:29 AM »
How much can someone grow in a year?

It's possible -- albiet unusual and uncomfortable -- for an adolescent boy to grow up to 6 inches in a few months.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King