Author Topic: Windsor Jewels Pt 7  (Read 199671 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Windsor Jewels Pt 7
« Reply #435 on: August 17, 2012, 09:22:51 AM »
Yes. But that was "borrowed" from the Queen and not given to her. A lot of Diana's jewels in the early days were made clear to be "on loan" from the Queen. That included the diamond necklace on first trip to Australia, the diamond watch from the Queen collection etc...

Offline Stefan22

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 18, 2012, 12:07:02 PM »
Yes. But that was "borrowed" from the Queen and not given to her. A lot of Diana's jewels in the early days were made clear to be "on loan" from the Queen. That included the diamond necklace on first trip to Australia, the diamond watch from the Queen collection etc...

But we don't know if the Bocuheron Hoeycomb tiara, the 5 row Freville diamond necklace and lots of the brooches Camilla wears where given to her. Probably they are also lieftime loans from the Queen. and apparently the Teck Cresecent tiara is also on loan to her but she hasn't worn it yet.
Stefan

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 18, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
I think the Queen Mother returned the royal pieces to the crown, but the Greville collection and the Boucheron tiara were her own property. Maybe she will them to Charles.

Offline Stefan22

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 19, 2012, 01:35:52 AM »
I think the Queen Mother returned the royal pieces to the crown, but the Greville collection and the Boucheron tiara were her own property. Maybe she will them to Charles.

It was said after her death that her entire Estate went the Queen because the Sovereign is exemtoed from paying death taxes.
Stefan

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 19, 2012, 01:58:11 AM »

It was said after her death that her entire Estate went the Queen because the Sovereign is exemtoed from paying death taxes.

She did in fact make bequests to her grand- and great-grandchildren, apparently, though no details of these were released.  She may have willed some of the pieces with non-royal provenance to him therefore (though he would have had to pay inheritance tax on them) - but if she did so it must have been in the knowledge that they would go to Camilla, whose marriage to Charles she strongly opposed and which did not take place until after her death. 

It will be interesting to see if the royal will secrecy will continue at the present Queen's death - there seems to be a growing feeling that these arrangements, which don't exactly have the weight of ancient custom, are no longer appropriate for a modern royal family.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 19, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »
Well...I also believe it is possible as Mrs. Ronnie Greville's past is as interesting as Camilla's own, and as they were not from any royal family, she could have willed it to Charles, her favorite grandson. That makes Camilla's collection quite substantial. Apart from the "borrowed"tiaras from the Queen. She also had the jewels from the time she was Camilla Parker-Bowels (like the large Aquamarine choker) and those gifts from Charles (the diamond snake necklace worn with that Versace gown and those jewels that used to be in her great grandmother (Mrs. Alice Keppel) 's collection).

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 03, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
I went this morning to see the queen's diamonds at Buck pal.  Since I had an early slot, and had been to BP before, I disdained the audio guides and ignored most of the state rooms and tore through until I got to the exhibition, which was relatively clear and I could drool over the bling as much as I wanted.  Here are some impressions:
- Apropos of earlier discussions, Queen Victoria's crown which Martyn reported on earlier (#363) is so tiny I think the Queen would actually look ridiculous in it were she to wear it, even if she had the balancing skills of a Luo tribeswoman to carry it on her head without it falling off. 
- I was surprised at the light and delicate look of the Delhi Durbar tiara which in photos always looks - at least on Queen Mary - as if it weighed as much as a tank.  Part of the impression of lightness might be due to the fact that Queen Mary seems to have worn it with the frame very upright, like a wall, while for Camilla it seems to have been angled gently outwards.  Although the Cambridge emeralds were removed and it certainly doesn't need them back, there is a slightly unfinished look to the prongs where the emeralds previously were, which look as if they needed some small diamonds just to top them off - surely there must be a few lying around which could be used?
- The diamonds the Queen was given on her 21st birthday in South Africa are whoppers.  Photos simply don't convey their size.  No wonder she gasped when she received them - I never understood why before, they look relatively small in pictures.
- The Delhi Durbar necklace I have seen before, but as usual the effect it has upon me is to make me feel like I need to go and lie down in a darkened room and recover my composure, such a wave of greed overwhelms me causing me to wish to smash the case and run away with it.
- The Williamson rose diamond is beautiful, but somehow the diamond flower itself seems rather too big for a brooch and a bit stiff.  Not that I would turn it down if it were offered to me.
As usual, I wished for more, but was delighted to have the chance to be close up and personal with what was there. 

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 03, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »
How lucky you were to have seen those gems up close in person! 

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 03, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
One of the best collection in the world.

Offline darius

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 08, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2212885/Downton-Tiara-We-reveal-extraordinary-history.html

Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife´s Myrtle tiara makes a TV appearance!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #445 on: October 08, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
Fascinating! I'm so glad I read the article before I saw the new episodes of Downton Abbey. (I don't worry about spoilers since I figure enough is going to leak out here in the US before they actually air to worry about it.) I will definitely be paying even closer attention to the tiara when the episodes air here early next year.

This is definitely the type of tiara that one wishes could have been kept in the family (though this was a direct wedding gift to Louise rather than a piece that 'left' the family) for future wear. It is historic and lovely but also light and modern-looking. It would be the kind of tiara one could see the Duchess of Cambridge wearing.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 09, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
Thanks for the info. I am a fan of both royalty & Downton Abbey. Glad there is something royal crossover into the program. The new upstairs downstairs had Ribbentrop & the Duke of Kent (sadly no duchess, a shame because Marina was such a star) as guest appearances. Downtown Abbey could have a visit from the Duchess of York or Gloucester or even Queen Mary as guests.

Very sad that the Fifes have to part with the jewels. I think they still have the big tiara that Louise of Fife worn (as seen in the tiara exhibition at the V&A in 2002). 

Offline Emperor of the Dominions

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 11, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »
Is someone able to help and identify the diamond necklace and earrings the Queen is wearing during the Korean State Banquet?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dloq5COMWiM

Many thanks

R.I.
God save the Queen !

Offline RoyalWatcher

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 11, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
It would be my pleasure. HM is wearing the Diamond Chandelier Drop Demi-Parure. You can find more information about it and all of her other accessories at this amazing blog:

http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/2013/11/state-visit-from-south-korea-state.html

Regards,

=Annie=

Offline Emperor of the Dominions

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 13, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
The necklace which was given to the Queen as a wedding present by the Nizam of Hyderabad was recently worn by HRH Catherine of Cambridge. Unfortunately I can't seem to upload the image, can anyone else help?

God save the Queen !