Author Topic: Greek Royal Orders & Regalia  (Read 25014 times)

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
Greek Royal Orders & Regalia
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:42:59 AM »
Anybody know what happened to it?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:20:17 AM by Svetabel »
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.
1 Peter 2:17

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Greek Royal Orders & Regalia
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:12:36 AM »
I do not recall there ever having been any crowns in the greek monarch from the time of George I to Constantine. There are no pictures of any of the monarchs wearing any crowns.

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 11:02:05 AM »
I do not recall there ever having been any crowns in the greek monarch from the time of George I to Constantine. There are no pictures of any of the monarchs wearing any crowns.

The Greek regalia were those created by King Otho and returned to the Royal Family in the 1950s by the Head of the House of Wittelsbach (Bavaria).
I would assume they are in safe keeping.

Regards

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 11:22:54 PM »
No Greek Monarch of the Royal Dynasty used or wore the Regalia pictured because King Otto took them with him when he was deposed.
King George was once asked if he had or wanted any regalia and appropriately his comment was that the only things he broughht with him were the Ionian Islands.
The original items of Regalia, the crown sceptre and rod, were gifted to the Greeks by the Bavarian Royal Family in the fifties as our learned friend Iskerderbey explained.
Below you will find a link to the very good unofficial Greek Royal Family website showing photo's of the ceremony of return.
Foremost in the pictures is His Majesty King Paul.

The Greek Kings, since  His Majesty George 1st werre never crowned, they all swore an oath to uphold the Greek Constituition and serve the Greek nation and its people, this was done in front of the whole Greek Parliament and officials of State, including the Church Hierarchs
I have heard and believe that the Orthodox Church also anointed them, but have never seen any photograpgs or documented evidence of this.
If any one has a photo, please post.

I wonder who may be keeping safe the Regalia Iskenderbey?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:20:40 AM by Svetabel »
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:32:56 PM »
does anyone have any pictures of the greek orders?  Specifically does or did HRH Prince Phillip have the Order of George I, or any other Greek Orders?  Is there anyone alive who still does?  Does HM King Constantine still bestow any in exile ?

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:24:25 PM »
The current republican regime awards an altered version of the Order of the Phoenix and the Order of the Redeemer. The other monarchical orders such as Order of George I are not awarded and have been officially abolished. Of course King Constantine still can award them. Their worth though away from a country is perhaps questionable.

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:27:44 AM »
His Majesty King Konstantine has  graciously posted on his web site the Royal Orders that were granted by his  Family.
The site is in Greek at the present, I will see what can be done about translating them into English!

God save His Majesty King Konstantine!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:21:37 AM by Svetabel »
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 04:14:02 AM »
Thanks, I didn't see that!
All orders are very symbolic and beautiful in their design.
They are able to have not only Orthodoxy but Greek nationhood represented in their design and colours.
Also, the Greek Royal Family and its Kings are represented in just about all of the awards.
Interesting to note that it is specifically mentioned that the granting of these orders did not elevate its recipient to the nobility.
I can imagine that their granting would have been quite sought after and that even today their symbolic and financial value would be quite high!

G S t K.
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 01:26:14 AM »
Is there a published list that shows who (still living) holds the Order of King George I ?  As well as any other (PreRepublican) greek orders??

ANyone know which orders King Constantine's sons hold?

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 03:30:01 AM »
Does HRH Prince Philip hold any of the orders? I ask only as he was originally Prince Philip of Greece of course.
Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 05:10:48 PM »
I just noticed for the first time after watching the documentary Pavlos No Ordinary King (awesome !btw) that HM King Pavlos wore on a couple of his uniforms what looked to me a duplication of orders so i started thinking that they might have been the same order but Different classes (just awarded at different times) worn on bar across his chest on his Various uniforms.  When i went back to find some pictures of them to see if i could blow them up to get a better picture i noticed that HM King George II and Constantine II also wear (what to me looks like some of the same orders just different grade badges).  I know they are not all the same just one or two.

Anyone know if someone was granted a lower grade of say The Redeemer  , and then upon becoming the Sovereign of the Order would they still wear the lower grade badge on the bar with their others?  You can't really tell from these pictures but the delazlo is a good picture and the book that comes with the new documentary has some pretty good close ups and they do look similar ..?

ok apparently i will have to go back and post from another laptop, i can't figure out how to post from my new mac :(

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 06:14:35 AM »
you also have to admit and ADMIRE HM Queen Sofia for proudly wearing her Greek Order for Karmarlis's state Visit to Spain in (84 I think) to plainly remind him what he owed her Parents.

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/rcf1208/media/Sophia1_zpsqi2tpdgz.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 06:20:48 AM »
I just noticed for the first time after watching the documentary Pavlos No Ordinary King (awesome !btw) that HM King Pavlos wore on a couple of his uniforms what looked to me a duplication of orders so i started thinking that they might have been the same order but Different classes (just awarded at different times) worn on bar across his chest on his Various uniforms.  When i went back to find some pictures of them to see if i could blow them up to get a better picture i noticed that HM King George II and Constantine II also wear (what to me looks like some of the same orders just different grade badges).  I know they are not all the same just one or two.

Anyone know if someone was granted a lower grade of say The Redeemer  , and then upon becoming the Sovereign of the Order would they still wear the lower grade badge on the bar with their others?  You can't really tell from these pictures but the delazlo is a good picture and the book that comes with the new documentary has some pretty good close ups and they do look similar ..?

ok apparently i will have to go back and post from another laptop, i can't figure out how to post from my new mac :(

But here is an example of what i'm talking about with HM King Pavlos

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/rcf1208/media/Pa_zpsufnpe4ug.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2