Author Topic: Bombs in the Ipatiev House  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Bombs in the Ipatiev House
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:33:41 AM »
Last Act of a Tragedy has the Ipatiev House On-duty Guard's Diary, the daily record of events.

May 27 Alexandra reports Nagorny and Sednev were "taken away"

May 28, apparently along with ten other people Nagorny and Sednev turned over: Guard's report diary: "Turned over 12 persons found in the House of Special Purpose". - This means that Nagorny was not IN prison the 27, but rather under house arrest until the 28.

June 1: the cook Kharitonov reports something on top of the wardrobe in the room that Nagorny and Sednev used to share.  The guard on duty "When I got there it turned out that eight armed bombs were on top of the wardrobe Kharitonov had mentioned ... The bombs were disarmed in the guard room. ...  I informed Comrade Avdeyev, commandant of the House about it and he in turn informed Comrade Belobobrovdov, chairman of the regional soviet."  Now we know why they were shot.

This mention of bombs being found is new to me.  I've not yet read a lot of the books others frequently refer to here at the forum.  Is there any more info on this discussed elsewhere by any authors or scholars?

Terry

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Bombs in the Ipatiev House
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 06:02:23 AM »
This seems highly suspect. I've never ever seen any such information.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:48:54 AM »
This is the only source I know of that reproduces the guards' daybook to such an extent.

To my knowledge, Last Act of a Tragedy is a reliable -- if obscure -- source. It was published in Yekaterinburg in 1996 and is virtually impossible to get ahold of anymore. It's similar in format to Fall of the Romanovs in that it contains many reproductions of documents with minimal commentary.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 09:42:39 AM »
Last Act, as Sarushka pointed out, was published in 1996, mostly as a vehicle to release previously unknown documents relating to the IF in Tobolsk and Ekaterinburg,  Everything in the book is a reproduction of the original period documents which had been kept secret during Soviet times and were finally able to be published after the fall of Communism. 

Dmitri may think it "suspect" but, whether it is a factual report by the guard or something placed deliberately IN the log by the guard as some pretext or another (and there will probably never be any way to prove which conclusively), the fact remains that it IS indeed in the original Duty Guard log book for the "House of Special Purpose."

Sadly, it IS an obscure book, but only because it was only available in Ekaterinburg.  We are so blessed that Bob got a copy when he was there meeting with Avdonin. It is an important resource in shedding new light onto the subject. 

It sits on the corner of my desk right at hand with my Sokolov and Spiridovitch as the primary and fundemental sources.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 09:47:11 AM by Forum Admin »

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »
One wonders how on earth "bombs" were  brought inside the Ipatiev House by any of the Romanovs or their party as their luggage was completely searched when entering and much of it locked away without access. Whatever the documentation it does seem highly suspect at best. If there had been bombs they would no doubt have been used in an attempt to get out of the Ipatiev House. Perhaps the cook was planning to make a Bomb Alaska for the family as a treat? ... joke!!! I would treat such material extremely cautiously. It seems rather weird if there has been bombs found that the execution did not happen much earlier as a result. I would treat such information with great caution as documents can be falsified or entries made into real documents to push any sort of agenda. The so-called letters that kept the family up half the night about a possible escape were forumulated by the Bolsheviks and then used as reasons to exterminate the Romanovs. Given that situation I would think that the so-called Bombs never existed. There's really no way of accurately knowing but it does seem bizarre at the very best.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 12:02:49 PM »
actually, from the rest of the description of them, I think they were more "hand-grenades" in todays terms, than traditional "bombs".  Perhaps they were planted there, we can never know.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »
Yes it does seem that they were planted. I could hardly imagine them being the "medicines" that Alexandra referred to.