Author Topic: MONARCHY - The Royal Family at Work  (Read 31983 times)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
MONARCHY - The Royal Family at Work
« on: November 05, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »
This documentary series will be transmitted on BBC1 before Christmas.

After the unfortunate debacle resulting in the departure of the Controller of BBC1 due to an independent production company's trail which was edited to make it look as if the queen walked off in a huff while having her portrait painted, they have decided the material should be re-edited in-house and the documentaries series which covers all senior members of the royal family, including interviews, will be screened in December.

I have opened a new thread, as I am sure this forthcoming documentary series will engender considerable interest on the Forum.

tsaria

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: MONARCHY - The Royal Family at Work
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 06:09:25 PM »
Yes it is good that the recorded material will no longer be wasted as it must have been tedious for The Queen and others being followed during the filming. Personally I think there have been too many of these sorts of programs recently.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 06:26:44 PM »
I hope that we in the US will also be able to see it.  I would enjoy seeing it, so much has been written about the making of it.

Arleen

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 06:38:01 PM »
No doubt it will be picked up by some network if they think they can make money out of it. Many of these programs are released on DVD such as The Queen at 80, The Castle and so on ... probably you will have more chance of viewing it that way and also without the hindrance of horrible commercials.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:21:50 AM »
This documentary was made with 'full approval of the Palace'.   In view of the fact the the Queen has not vetoed the transmission of this series after the dreadful, and deliberate, editing of the one sequence, we know of, (the entire series has been re-edited) proves that the Monarchy views the transmission of this documentary as of mutual benefit.   The Queen and her family fiercely preserve their privacy, but she knows that to allow the production of programmes such as these, do more to heighten the value of the 'working' profile of the Royal Family than could be achieved by any other means.

tsaria   

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 11:53:42 AM »
This documentary was made with 'full approval of the Palace'.   In view of the fact the the Queen has not vetoed the transmission of this series after the dreadful, and deliberate, editing of the one sequence, we know of, (the entire series has been re-edited) proves that the Monarchy views the transmission of this documentary as of mutual benefit.   The Queen and her family fiercely preserve their privacy, but she knows that to allow the production of programmes such as these, do more to heighten the value of the 'working' profile of the Royal Family than could be achieved by any other means.

tsaria   

And I think that is a very good thing.

It would appear that in recent years a concerted effort has been made to try to show the human side of the Queen and her husband and I personally don't feel that it harms at all or in any way diminishes the respect that many people feel for her. 

In addition, it is so easy to forget that she she continues to fulfil her duties and obligations at an age when one's working life is but a dim and distant memory for most ordinary citizens.

I quite enjoyed the series about Windsor Castle which offered us tantalising glimpses of the Queen's life; I shall await this series with interest........
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 02:24:14 PM »
The Queen is quite a remarkable woman and constitutional monarch. She is highly respected for what she does on a day to day basis. I often think people forget the stability she brings to the lives of so many simply having been in her position for so long. Things change all around us but The Queen remains an island of stability. That's important in the psyche of people no matter how much they may choose to deny it. She assists others to adapt to change gradually. It is not surprising she is much loved and respected. She is also cautious in her statements and has lived a good life. It is not surprising that many would like to see her reign for many, many years to come.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 07:38:15 AM »
Did anyone watch this last night?  I did, but would be interested to hear what others think about this programme........
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 08:17:49 AM »
I watched this programme last night and it was really interesting. I haven't watched many programmes about our royal family before, but this was really good. This first episode was mainly about the Queen's state visit to the USA and to be honest, I found out more about the White House and how that operates than the Queen. I'm sure it said that for when the Queen was visiting a part of Virginia, which lasted about 45 minutes, the local people had to spend 2 months preparing for it!
The first thing they showed on the documentary was the photographs taken by the American photographer (who's name has escaped me) for publicity for the state visit (the edited scenes that called all that controversy).
One thing that annoyed me was the way a lot of the American people interviewed (even George W. Bush and the people organising the event) were calling her majesty 'The Queen of England' rather than 'The Queen of Great Britain' which I think would have been more correct. Surely they should have got the facts right.

This is a bit off topic, but I noticed on the documentary how they mensioned that our monarchy is important because there isn't many anymore. Why is there a lot of fuss made over the British monarchy compared to other countries like the Netherlands and Denmark (?) who still have a monarchy?

Offline Ex-Princess Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 09:15:40 AM »
I enjoyed the programme too and I agree with you, I also found out more about the White House than the Queen. But I found that very interesting.
I was surprised about the amount of support for the Queen from Americas young people, I hope they all feel that way.

As for your annoyance at the Queens title, I must admit I do tend to refer to HM as The Queen of England even though I know the correct title is The Queen of Great Britain, it rolls off the tongue easier. I wonder if she is offended if someone calls her The Queen of England.

As for your third point about monarchies of Netherlands and Denmark etc, I have a question. Do these monarchies go on state visits to America?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 10:11:15 AM »
Technically, she is Queen of the UNITED KINGDOM of Great Britain  and Northern Ireland, but that is a bit of a mouthfull. Have given up, long ago, on trying to correct people here over that.
 I think the reason so many [by no means all] Americans are fascinated with the British monarchy, especially the Queen, is we relate so closely to Britain, speciially England. Common language and heritage for  most of us.
 Other monarchs do come for state and official visits, but they do not recieve the media coverage that HM does. Unless one lives in Wash. D.C. perhaps. They would be covered more likely by whatever nationality's media they represent.  We had the King of Sweden here a few years back, but you would have had to buy the Wisconsin Swedish Newspaper to see anything about it!
 { I loved the comment "....our president can't even speak English"}
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 01:01:18 AM »
I enjoyed the programme too and I agree with you, I also found out more about the White House than the Queen. But I found that very interesting.
I was surprised about the amount of support for the Queen from Americas young people, I hope they all feel that way.

As for your annoyance at the Queens title, I must admit I do tend to refer to HM as The Queen of England even though I know the correct title is The Queen of Great Britain, it rolls off the tongue easier. I wonder if she is offended if someone calls her The Queen of England.

As for your third point about monarchies of Netherlands and Denmark etc, I have a question. Do these monarchies go on state visits to America?

To your third point,awfully informed,all befriended nations make State Visits to and fro,so did the Dutch and Danish Monarchs to the US,last under Reagan and Bush.sr.For your info dear,the Netherlands till not soo long ago,untill China took over,was the single largest investor in the US,so sure,reason enough to do State Visit business.

George jr.was here a few years ago,and had the courtesy of leaving HM The Queen waiting for over half an hour,Queen Beatrix in my case,thousands of unforgiving eyes pointed at him,but that's O/T.

Ah yes Robert,"Halve her age,and can't even speak english",thought it hilarious!Really looking forward to the next episodes.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 04:32:06 AM »
I hope I get to see this it sounds great. I always like to hear other viewpoints about Titles of Royals. Just on a side note the reason over here they say Queen of England is the same reason on visits to Europe and London I was labeled as from America. I would say I'm from the United States or U.S.  but on nationality I'm American but America is easier to say..... Queen of England is a left over from Colonial days I would bet! 

Why are We so fascinated with British Monarchy?   My first Tour of England was on a July 4th, the English Tour Company hung a huge banner saying "Happy Birthday love MuM " recognizing our Independence Day. ;)  I guess that says it all! 

alixaannencova

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 05:51:12 AM »
I am sorry but I actually found the first episode rather boring.There was nothing that we don not already know really! It was all very glossy and going by the first episode, it seemed to me to be more about how and what Americans and courtiers feel about the monarchy rather than about the monarchy itself! And Laura Bush referring to 'Their Majesties' made me cringe!!!!!

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 09:55:59 AM »
Well, one does not expect [nor get] much class from the present administration.
 By the way, The present Bush is NOT a junior, he is George W, His father was George H. Correctly it should be  Bush 2 & Bush 1, respectively.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.