Author Topic: MONARCHY - The Royal Family at Work  (Read 31984 times)

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: MONARCHY - The Royal Family at Work
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2007, 02:10:59 AM »
Please be advised that I do not believe that any episodes of the documentary have been broadcast in hte USA.  Correct me if I am wrong.

TampaBay

Not that I can find, We shall just get to hear about the episodes I guess....

alixaannencova

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 04:45:25 PM »
A much better and interesting episode this evening!! I thought the Queen rather prickly about the details of the her order! And the lift scene at the state banquet was wonderdfully domestic with the muttering about 'what a life one leads!!!'
 T'was also really nice to see the 'centre' room full of the RF before a balcony scene too!! I still wonder who it was who said off camera 'I had an operation!!!' I must confess that I think I am becoming a fiendish nosey parker with the advancement of my dotage! 

Offline Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 03:53:12 AM »
As I didn't really know that much about our monarchy before this programme, I have to say its changing my opinion about it all in a good way. The Queen, even though she was dressed in all her regalia (is that the right word?) just came across as an ordinary person, interested in what others had to say and concerned for people and her country. I particularly liked the part where she leant over the balcony looking to see if someone was coming to sort out a lift for one of the guests. To be it just looked like something your mother or nana would do, not a Queen!  ;)
I thought this episode was much more interesting than the last. I didn't realise so many people worked at Buckingham Palace!

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 08:07:37 AM »
The glimpses that we have of the Queen's character in this programme are vastly intriguing.

Bearing in mind that most programmes of this nature are invariably composed of 'staged' situations, it is the truly unstaged ones that have the greatest interest, for instance the episode with the lift at BP breaking down, thus preventing the President of Ghana's wife from being able to make it downstairs to the State Banquet.

To see the Queen bustling about, with Philip attempting to resolve the problem, coupled with the Queen's throw away comment 'what a life one leads', all in full evening dress, tiara and orders, was simply priceless.

The Queen comes across as feisty, occasionally brusque, certainly a woman who brooks no nonsense.  To see her perusing last year's exhibition of her dresses in the Ball Supper Room was fascinating, as it appeared that she was almost as curious about the exhibits as I was when I saw them.  Her comment 'what a lot of embroidery one wore' as she inspected one of her exquisite evening gowns of yesteryear was yet another example of how dry she can be.  She subsequently joked that only one of her numerous closets at BP had been emptied in order to furnish this Exhibition (and believe me the gowns were too numerous to recall!)........

I still think that BP is a great barracks of a palace, with a very institutional feel.  Seeing some of the activity that takes place there, it is small wonder that this is the general feel of the place.  However, the Ball Room dressed for the State Banquet was a very impressive sight, and justifies the reputation that the English Monarchy has for fomal entertaining.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 09:10:13 AM »
Hi,

This sounds a very interesting documentary indeed.......

We are not getting it in Canada though!!  Does anybody know when we will be receiving it?  Has anyone got privy info on this?
After all, Canada is a country of which Elizabeth II is Queen;  if the Americans are viewing this, then what happened to Canada????

Larry

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2007, 10:46:42 AM »
Are we Americans able to view this programme?  I have yet to see it listed anywhere, and believe me, I'm dying to see it.  Can we purchase the series on DVD does anyone know?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »
Not yet, Chris. It is showing now on BBC. Maybe next year PBS will have it, then sell the dvds. I am not terribly impressed. Just another fawing, reverential tribute. Nothing really substantial, in my opinion. If you are that desperate, ask a UK friend to record it on dvd and send it to you. IF you have an all region player, you can be the first on your block to see it!
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »
Hi,

Sorry if I jumped the gun on this but a friend of mine in NYC said he had viewed the first episode.  It turns out he was sent it over the internet by an English friend.....
So, I mistakenly thought that it was on American TV...

I guess, if as Robert says it's not anything novel, that I won't hold my breath waiting to view it...

Larry

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2007, 09:56:39 PM »
Are we Americans able to view this programme?  I have yet to see it listed anywhere, and believe me, I'm dying to see it.  Can we purchase the series on DVD does anyone know?

This hasn't been here but if you have BBC America, they've shown a couple royal documentaries lately. One was on this year's Garter Ceremony and Royal Ascot and one had, at least partly (I didn't watch this particular episode) on Prince Philip being the oldest Ranger (?) in Royal Windsor Park. So they're a bit different from the usual docs we see here (ie a sideview of the monarchy not just something to do with Diana or William and Harry).
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »
I am not terribly impressed. Just another fawing, reverential tribute. Nothing really substantial, in my opinion.

That is a fair point, after all the progrmamme is designed to be PR exercise.  In no respect is it a cutting edge examination of the role of the monarchy.

To be honest, I think that the Queen is getting the positive coverage that she deserves and I suspect that this reflects the general respect and good will that people feel for her in this country...........
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Suzie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2007, 11:38:08 AM »
I love seeing something on the Queen after all the unending Diana stuff of the past year. I think it is funny how here in the US we frequently referer to her as "The Queen" as though there was only one and she was still ours. Frankly I wouldn't mind it if she was.
Suzie

Offline Emperor of the Dominions

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »
I love seeing something on the Queen after all the unending Diana stuff of the past year. I think it is funny how here in the US we frequently referer to her as "The Queen" as though there was only one and she was still ours. Frankly I wouldn't mind it if she was.
Suzie

An interesting point Suzie. British Government papers that were released earlier this year showed that in 1956, Her Majesty was offered the throne of France to become 'Queen of France'. H.M. Government declined, saying the British people would never accept a move to share their monarch. Of course the United States made it's choice many years ago.

R.I.
God save the Queen !

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 05:53:45 PM »
Well, they already share her with quite a lot of people at opposite ends of the earth! I think that these were really just discussions in which ideas were raised that would have been unacceptable to most people on both sides of the channel. Maybe she and the Comte de Paris could have reigned in alternate years.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2007, 06:22:48 PM »
I think that reference was about  HM becoming head of the newly forming European Community, much like she is Head of the Commonwealth.  It may have been a stop-gap to De Gaul.
 Of course the Queen has and deserves an enormous amount of respect and devotion.  Which is a great deal more than can be said for any other of that tribe.
 I would like to see a distinct  documentary explaining the legitimate  role of the monarchy, as a real part of the government of the UK. All these programmes show is the theatre, not the real function of the monarchy.  Contrary to popular opinion, the monarch is not just a "figurehead" and is more than a symbol.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Emperor of the Dominions

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2007, 08:29:32 PM »
See this BBC link about 'Queen Elizabeth of France'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/document/document_20070115.shtml

and this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/16/nfra16.xml

"The British people would never accept a move to share their monarch" - I meant to include The Commonweath also. Queen Elizabeth has a well known love of The Commonwealth and its peoples.

I suspect this is getting off-topic now.

R.I.

God save the Queen !