Author Topic: Why are the most beauthiful books so hard to get?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
Why are the most beauthiful books so hard to get?
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »
What a pity, I'm searching for a book about Princess Vera, more a catalogue from Russia. Searching, searching. And finally I could find a bookshop who can order this book for me, the book, is 8 times the price, someone pays this catologue in Russia.

I wish I had a Russian friend who could ship this (and other books) in the future. Ofcourse I pay everything, books including shipping.

But what a pity!

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
Re: Why are the most beauthiful books so hard to get?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:56:39 PM »
I take it you mean Gilbert's Royal Bookshop?

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 02:15:06 PM »
I take it you mean Gilbert's Royal Bookshop?

Yes, the book is over the top! I'm a honest person, already 3 years member of this board, i have a good reputation. It would be a great deal if someone from Russia could buy that book, ships it and for return I would pay this person the costs. Thats for me, cheaper, and the other person gets his/her money.

But I know: its only possible if there are 2 persons, the one willing to help the other. Trust
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 02:19:00 PM by Teddy »

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 07:39:39 PM »
It's true that some of the prices there are over the top, but I imagine the price of shipping it from Russia might be equally ridiculous. I know it varies depending on where you live, but it would cost me around $100 alone!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:24:07 PM »
 :o

Shipping from Russia should NOT be that expensive. I've ordered books through books.ru, ozon.ru, and made trades with AP members in Russia and never paid more than $20 in shipping.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:34:22 PM »
Occasionally you can find albums carried by Gilbert's Royal Books less expensively at the Hermitage Museum website:

http://hermitagemuseum.org/shop/html_En/categories/01__01Books.html
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:05:39 PM »
Teddy, you are in the Netherlands, are you not? Why don't you just take a flight to St.Petersburg [or Moscow, for that matter] and buy them yourself.  I have done this from London 4 times.  The flights are short and not  too costly. Certainly a lot less costly than the prices you are bemoaning, which I agree are extreme in many cases. But if you are trying to buy from a US or Canadian seller,  they indeed DO have to pay for shipping, which you absorb in their prices PLUS the cost of shipping  these volumes BACK accross the Atlantic to you. I have also bought books in Russia and have had them shipped for me, rather than carry them, and the prices were not all that bad.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 08:20:56 AM »
Boy my hand luggage was very heavy with marvellous books I bought in Russia. Sadly most are not available outside the country. You will know what I mean Robert.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »
Not for everyone is it so simple to get an airplane en buy some books! I wish I had the money to get there.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 12:59:53 PM by Teddy »

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:52:18 PM »
My hope, is that one of the Russians on this site, with the same love of late Imperial Russia/Romanovs, had the most sincere heart to help me, with the search of these books, that I have in mind.