Author Topic: Current Perception of Romanovs and Monarchy in Russia  (Read 44300 times)

Offline tea_rose

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Current Perception of Romanovs and Monarchy in Russia
« on: March 17, 2004, 06:54:59 PM »
  I wondered if any of the authors or scholars who post here have any information as to the status or interest in the Romanovs and imperial history in present day Russia?  I know that there is close to no chance of a restoration-but after nearly a century of very negative propaganda and sparse infomation about the Romanovs-I wondered what was the response to the literal flood of information after glasnost and the fall of the Soviet Union?   There was a little bit of information in Remnick's "Lenin's Tomb" about this sudden thaw of censorship-but this book chiefly talked about the revelations about the Stalinist era/Bukharin, etc.

I wonder if there is as much interest in the Russian educated population in the Romanovs as I see here (I love this site and come everyday to read the discussions.). Does anyone have any insights on this?    

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Current Perception of Romanovs and Monarchy in Russia
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 10:43:39 PM »
This is a curious question. I do know several Russians. Here, in S.F, in London & also in Russia itself.
In Russia, they are the younger folk. Not the least bit interested, one way or the other about the Romanovs.  [it is a pretty common name there, so if one asks, the usual answer is "which ones?" They seemed a bit curious as to what all the fuss was about- the funeral, but that seems to have been about it. Mind you, these are non-academics, more interested in the latest music & fashion. As well as how to get out of Russia & make it to "the WEST".
In London, The one's I know are a bit more mature, but still rather indifferent. The attitude seems "who cares? They-the former Imperial Family are European & there is no throne- so what?"
However, in S.F.  I know some older folk- I mean OLDER- who are for the most part candle-lighting, incense buring ikon hanging believers.  As there are 2 Russian churches, depends on which one they follow.
My family itself is Russian & Greek. While they were exstremely devoted to the Greek royal family, I had to discover the Romanovs on my own.

My 2 cents worth...
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 05:51:23 PM »
Well, to add something, i totally agree with you Robert. My russian language teacher came from Ekaterinburg and donīt understand at all my interest. She is 30 years old and says that people bornt after the revolution, and specially in the 50s-60s, is quite indifferent to the Romanovs(as well as to religion), they simply are not part of their lifes or education. On the contrary, one of my best russian friends is absolutely pro-monarchy and religious, and call the first kind of russians "new russians"....

Offline tea_rose

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 06:03:38 PM »
  I am not surprised. I was born in 1963-but I am the only one I know who has this intense interest in 19th century royalty/World War I era. But-I don't live in an intellectual area (southeast Ga, USA)-so I am used to being the "egghead/eccentric." (LOL!)

But-since this is "their history" and a history that they have been isolated from for such a long while due to soviet restrictions, I thought there might be some new interest in Russia. We have been able to read the books all of these years by the exiles that they did not have access to. So-I thought there might be an attraction there. Of  course, we are also benefiting from the information release. So many letters and diaries are now available to the West for the first time due to the opening of archives.

I would be very interested to hear any other opinions on this....    

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 06:49:56 PM »
Years ago, while a student in Wash.D.C., I used to "hang out" at the Soviet embassy [long story]. I had a couple of friends there that got me interested in the whole Romanov story. They were pretty open about what they knew, then. Even gave me pictures of some sites, this long before fax or even email !! Pretty decent fellows, considering  "way back then".

Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Janet_Ashton

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 01:16:26 PM »
Well, to add something, i totally agree with you Robert. My russian language teacher came from Ekaterinburg and donīt understand at all my interest. She is 30 years old and says that people bornt after the revolution, and specially in the 50s-60s, is quite indifferent to the Romanovs(as well as to religion), they simply are not part of their lifes or education. ....

This has been my experience too. The first time I went to Russia (aged 25) no-one could believe that someone my age was interested in such things!
- This is probably a reflection on the views of the people I know, though, because more recently I HAVE seen monarchist processions in Russia which feature people of all ages from small children to elderly folk.

I'd also differentiate a (usually benevolent and harmless) interest in the Romanovs as people from interest in them as political symbols, because while I've personally seen little of the former, I've seen plenty of evidence of the latter among right-wingers. The ruins of the Lower palace at Peterhof, actually, have the name of the foul anti-semitic newspaper "Russkoe voskresenie" sprayed on them - presumably by people who barely even know the names of the individuals in the family which lived there.

Janet

Offline sckkr

• Do not allow others to set your limits
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 07:44:39 PM »
Well I feel that the 70 odd years of that failed experiment the world came to know as communism put pay to any Romanov interest Russia. But I do wonder if the good citizens know that tourism  would probably  quadruple if the imperial scene was to come back online. I,m speaking as we have a royal family in UK and it does bring in quite a profitable revenue. The bottom line is what has anybody got to lose the president would rule and the Tsar would reign. Anyway its all academic but maybe worth thinking about your thoughts please
Regards Stuart

AlexP

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 07:02:12 AM »
First of all, greetings to everyone.  I am new on this Board.  I am very pleased to be here.

This Board is almost like a family home to me.  I grew up in the Russian emigration (actually I am still in it), born and raised in Paris to exiled nobility, spent years in New York, and now live in Shanghai in the shadows of the church built by Archbishop St. John Maximovitch.   My wife also comes from one of the great houses of Russia whose name is very often cited in these pages.  My skins gets goosebumps when I read about all of these great "personnages", the sons and daugthers of which I have known personally.  Please keep up the good work!

Now as to the question of the monarchy in Russia and the views of the Russians, this is a very generalized question, a fluid one, but a valid one.  It is true to say that the less educated in some cases only think of superficial Westernized values -- shopping and Coca Cola.  Nonetheless, I can assure you all personally that if there is one element in Russian society today that is decidedly promonarchist, it is the Church, even with all of its prior close to the KGB.  The Church canonized the Imperial Family, not so much by its own wishes, but by the grace of God and by the fact that the Orthodox hierarchs would have probably been lynched by the Russian people if they hadn't.  It was  not a step that they wished to take -- it was a step that was forced up them by the collective will of the Orthodox faithful in Russia.  And that step has taken them even farther on their journey towards the Romanovs.

Support for the Romanovs and any restoration of the monarchy is decidedly stronger in Petersburg and Moscow than in other places.  Surprisingly enough, I found it very palpable in the City of Omsk, and quite palpable in Ekaterinburg.  It was also noticeable in Suzdal. The Patriarch himself is quite fond of the Grand Duchess and her son and hosts them on a regular basis in Moscow.  He was also personally responsible for having a Russian passport and Russian citizenship extended to both of them (which they have accepted).
And the Church has become a power to be reckoned with, and thus its positions are quite seriously noted.  The Church actually sponsored a conference, a sort of spiritual rehabiliation, on the Grand Duke Sergie Miihkailovitch last year in Moscow. (I was personally horrified).

Russia is in a very fluid state, as it has been for the last ten years.  If there is one thing that one should note about "modern" Russia, it is is decided tendency to restore classical and traditional values.  No one can say with certainty down what path the country will proceed in 10 years.  What I can say with certainty, however, is that the promonarchist elements are decidedly in control of the Church now, and that should be taken as a harbinger of things to come.

Alexandre P.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AlexP »

marina

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 05:32:34 PM »
I read a poll which impressed me: the 18 july 1998, 53% of russian people considered IF's murder as a "MILITARY AND POLITICAL NECESSITY". I don't know if there are russian people here to confirm it but I can't believe this is true.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by marina »

james_h

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 08:48:06 PM »
Such a poll is fundamentaly flawed as it is way to simplistic to reveal much at all.

There must be three(probably more) frames of mind to arrive at that opinion.
IE. Pro Romanov, Anti Romanov, Indifferent.
Pro- Monarchy, Anti- Monarchy, Indifferent
Pro- Monarchy-Anti Romanov, Anti-Monarchy-Pro Romanov1, Indifferent
Although they all may have the same result, their jusification is more important and unchronicled. Thus the poll give a simplistic and flawed perception etc....

1. Although one can be ideologically opposed to monarchy it must be theoretically possible to parlay that belief if the individual monarch has enough chuztpah. Or if the Royal Family has enough chuztpah...so inspite of being against a monarchy from an ideological perspective. because of it's inherrant, nepotistic  ineffectiveness, you may not necessarilly be against its current representative? Do I make sense?

In summing up......IF's murder "MILITARY AND POLITICAL NECESSITY" = Pointless poll.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 12:31:28 AM »
Such a poll is fundamentaly flawed as it is way to simplistic to reveal much at all.

In summing up......IF's murder "MILITARY AND POLITICAL NECESSITY" = Pointless poll.

The other concerns I have that may be added:

Who conducted the "poll"?

How the question was asked?

When was the "poll" conducted?

In which location: country or city or street corner was it allegedly conducted?

What was the sample?

What were the demographics of the group   etc.?

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 12:48:29 AM »
I read a poll which impressed me: the 18 july 1998, 53% of russian people considered IF's murder as a "MILITARY AND POLITICAL NECESSITY". I don't know if there are russian people here to confirm it but I can't believe this is true.

And where did you find that poll?  :-/ Actually here in Russia with all the hysteria and fuss around the last Romanovs the results of such a poll sound  unbelievable.

marina

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 06:21:49 AM »
I also ask myself question about the credibility of the organism which did the poll... Here is my source... in french: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/clavier.cierzniak/civi/elite_russe/cours_civi/19_nicolas2.htm    
Click on 17 juillet 1998. We only know that the poll has been made by a newspaper from St Petersburg.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by marina »

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 08:22:01 AM »
It most likely was not conducted in valid way, otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense. :-?

Offline Mazukov

• Boyar
  • Time it was, what a time it was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 06:07:16 AM »
Suggested by another member  

I would tend to think, from what I’ve read about the history of the Russian Monarchy. And given the history of the Russian people. they the people perhaps got fed up with the opulence of the monarchy when they the people had little to fill there stomachs. to look at the monarchy is really to look at the people of Russia. I’m talking about a people who have been repressed for so long both under the monarchy and then the communist. what we see now is Russia breaking out of her shell.

We in the west the so called free thinkers, where we are allowed to think freely about all matters. in Russia the people didn't have this luxury, until now that is. The Russian people by trait though hard working and repressed have always shown innovation when they have been given a chance to think freely without repression. I think that we will start to see a reemergence of Russia. both for her wealth in energy but in her ability to have people thinking freely.

as to why no monarchy even now after the fall of the soviets. i feel that the monarchy had been so trampled on during the soviet time in power that the pure roots of having a monarchy within Russia "even just a constitutional one" is repulsive to most Russians. also given the fact that what is left of the russian monarchy to me is a house very devided.