Author Topic: Current Perception of Romanovs and Monarchy in Russia  (Read 42818 times)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Current Perception of Romanovs and Monarchy in Russia
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 12:20:31 PM »
Interesting debate. I think if anyone has a right to the throne under the old family laws at least, which since they were never changed, at least ought to be respected, is Grand Duchess Maria, and her son, Grand Duke George. They have the closest legitimate ( according to the succession and marriage laws) relation in blood. I am just saying that to me that is a fact. But while I think this is true, it is also true that many things would have to happen in Russia before they could have a monarchy if ever.

TheAce1918

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2006, 10:17:05 AM »
I never trusted polls.  Plus I think the public opinion 'internationally' is half.  With so many people in the world.  Estimates  Estimates  Estimates

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2006, 12:53:30 PM »
Indeed, I agree. There are many ways to feel about the Romanov's murder, and perhaps these are too complex to be sumned up in a poll, even if that poll is accurate. To me, the findings of that poll are an extreme that not too many people feel.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2006, 01:04:54 PM »
Dear Burger Queen,

If one reads all these posts, one finds an extraordinary already concensus that most find polls are inadequate. I agree.

Svetabel's post is perhaps the most reliable, since it comes within Russia itself.

Thanks for posting though, it allows us to better understand what was, and what is.  ;)

Tatiana+
TatianaA

marina

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »
No problem, guys! I agree. But after all, there are more nostalgia of communism than nostalgia of imperial times in Russia, but this is an another discussion.

TheAce1918

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2006, 10:22:46 PM »
No problem, guys! I agree. But after all, there are more nostalgia of communism than nostalgia of imperial times in Russia.

True!  True!

ferngully

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2006, 03:33:28 AM »
i think thats absolutely true, as far as i know, lenin is still on display in russia. they debated burying him but left him for people to see
selina                    xxxxxxxxxxx

marina

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 06:59:22 PM »
Yes, I heard about that. I wonder if it will be really done... But if Lenin will be buried, it will not be thanks to a retraction of what he did, I think...
Stalin is buried just behind the mausoleum.

TheAce1918

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2006, 06:02:28 PM »
I heard that the Lenin in the tomb was a wax figure, either that or his body is really beginning to age ;D What gets me is that tomb is still on display in Moscow, and if I remember it still has at least a guard or two.  Then [related topic ;)] I read in the paper a while back that communism was still very popular in Russia.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TheAce1918 »

marina

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2006, 07:23:41 PM »
When I went to Moscow, the mausoleum was closed but I saw on TV Lenin's "corpse" and it was... In brief, don't take your young children to there! You're right, it's begining to ages!
 I think it's very interesting to know what exactly motivate this nostalgia of communism. In university, you learn that communism was bad.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2006, 06:25:47 PM »
It seems sometimes that there is nostalgia for many eras gone by, that perhaps were not as great when they were actually here, such as communism and things like that. Nostalgia rather corrupts memory, and makes it not very realistic. Longing in nostalgia for things is not the same as actually wanting the thing nor seeing it clearly as it was.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2006, 12:25:51 AM »
No problem, guys! I agree. But after all, there are more nostalgia of communism than nostalgia of imperial times in Russia, but this is an another discussion.

In general the nostalgia of communizm is a hobby of the most old people who lived under such regime all their lives.

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2006, 07:20:08 AM »
So true Svetabel ¡¡¡

I was in St. Petersburg two years ago, and i am agree with you, that there was a true fuss around the Romanovs.

Even on the containing walls of ST. Peter and Paul fortress i saw an exibition of Dagmar´s photographs. Around and in the shops of palaces and museums there was plenty of items of them.

In the other hand noone of the guides we had ,knowed anything about them, even their name, excepting about the Empress Catherine the Great, the rest of the Romanovs were unknowed for them. After so many years of the fall of the Romanovs, i supose that this unknowing of their country´s history is quite normal.

I presume that they are concious of the interest of the tourists towards them, and that their own interest in the majority of the cases is monetary.

I insist that in my opinion they don´t know the Romanov´s. Visiting the AP, I show our guide (Ekaterina) some picks of The GRand Duchesses, she was impressed about their beauty, when i related her their tragic destiny, she seemed very touched. Ekaterina was an expert about Catherine the Great because her job, (she was surprised when i insisted in visiting AP), she was 24 years old, and of course she never had information about the last Tzar and his family.

Of course this is my personal impression.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2006, 08:39:50 AM »
That is interesting that they know so much about Catherine the Great yet little about the Last Romanovs. Of course Catherine the Great was very important in the histiry of Russia, but knowing so much about one and so little about the other seems strange to me anyway.

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2006, 11:23:05 AM »
I think that it is because Catherine´s Palace in Tsarakoe Tselo is one of the most visited Palace in St. Petersburg, and so the guides have to know a little about her if they want to explain the tourists the story of the Palace. Also, an important part of the treasures in the Ermitage were bring to Russia during her rule.
As i said in my last post, my guide was surprised about my knowings, and interest in Romanovs ( and i am not an expert ), and so when i insisted in visiting Alexander Palace. Alexander Palace is just near Catherine´s Palace, and the majoritie of the tourists only visited this one. Visiting AP, i asked several woman who were there, where was the placement of Alexandra´s balcony...of course my guide translated the question, i was impressed that no one of her knowed. Finally when i was finishing my visit, one of them, told me to accompanied her and showed me the place where the balcony was. She was quite kind.

They speak too quite a lot of Peter de Great, as "creator" of the city of St. Petersburg. And they explained quite good the asesination of Rasputin by Felix Yussupov, when you visit the Yussupov Palace.

But, about Alexander III, and Nicholas, they don´t know a lot.

I think that the Romanovs where perhaps a kind of tabu during the communism era, for me this is the explanation.

Anyway this is my impression, perhaps i am wrong. I was only 6 days in St. Petersburg, and excepting the guides, i didn´t speak with other russian people, so.......