Author Topic: A New Rasputin Biography by Margarita Nelipa  (Read 88913 times)

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
Re: A New Rasputin Biography by Margarita Nelipa
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:07 AM »
Out of personal respects for Margarita I don't want to discuss Gilbert anymore. I have my serious problems to get her book, because Gilbert don't accept any order from me.
But I personally thinks that her book will be great and I hope a Forum Member can help me to get this book.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:21:02 AM by Teddy »

Offline Dominic_Albanese

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 07:07:55 PM »
Paul Gilbert at Gilbert's Royal Books is now taking orders for the new Rasputin book.  Details can be found at: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/grb/grbpg30.html

I ordered mine today, I'll let you know when it arrives.

(not so) patiently waiting!!

dca

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
My book: The Murder of Grigorii Rasputin: A Conspiracy that Brought Down the Russian Empire is available for purchase from "Librairie Galignani" in Paris.

Paul Gilbert of Gilbert's Royal Book in Canada, is also accepting orders. Please see: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/grb/grbpg30.html

Thank you to all forum members who have expressed interest in my new book.

Best regards,

Margarita Nelipa 

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Dominic_Albanese

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 07:52:03 PM »
I just got notice that the book was mailed to me yesterday!  Can't wait!

dca

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »
I just got notice that the book was mailed to me yesterday!  Can't wait!

dca

Dear Dominic,

Great to hear! I know that you have been waiting very patiently for a very long time. Hope that all your expectations will be met favorably!

Best regards,

Margarita

Alixz

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 03:47:49 AM »
The only problem I find with Paul Gilbert's site is that his shipping is exorbitant.  I have found the same exact books elsewhere for one third the shipping costs.  Everything that Paul sells is listed as "heavy".  I find that hard to believe and usually get the book from somewhere else where the shipping is more reasonable.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 04:21:12 AM »
The only problem I find with Paul Gilbert's site is that his shipping is exorbitant.  I have found the same exact books elsewhere for one third the shipping costs.  Everything that Paul sells is listed as "heavy".  I find that hard to believe and usually get the book from somewhere else where the shipping is more reasonable.

I totally agree with you. A few weeks ago I ordered 2 small books, and the shipping costs were EUR 50,-. Thats a very high amount of money for these books.
I cancelled the order by Van Hoogstraten and a day later I got an e-mail from Gilbert Royal Books why I had cancelled my order. I told why. He replied that it cost him time and money to get my books ready. And because I had cancelled he will refuse every order from Van Hoogstraten and "every order" from me.
I was shocked by this answer. I can't order anymore by Gilbert and friends and family don't use paypall or credit cards or don't want to do business after my story.

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 04:58:03 AM »
prices @ Gilbert Royal Books are crazy!

Alixz

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »
I cancelled a book order from Paul once and he emailed me to ask why. I told him that the s/h was much too high.  I think it was $15 USD for a paperback book.  I believe that Amazon had the same book and the s/h was $3.50 USD.

He told me that shipping and time are expensive just as his told you.

However, he still takes my orders, but now will not let me cancel.  He told me that all orders are final.  So I am very careful of what I get from him and also I always check to be sure that I can't get the book somewhere else for less.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
I agree. GRB's shipping rates always make me gulp. However, we're straying off-topic.

(Should this thread be moved to the Books forum?)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Alixz

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 10:48:29 AM »
Yes - ala magic - it is now there!

Poof ! - :-)

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 07:28:45 PM »
This thread was created by me in good faith to announce my book. It was not created so that some posters can argue about Paul Gilbert's postal rates or discuss past private issues that have absolutely no relevance to this thread.

For the record, the $20 p/h charges to Canada or the U.S. for a book that weighs over 1 kg, in my estimation is more than reasonable. See: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/grb/grbpg30.html

Please do not forget that my book is also available "off shelf" from "Librairie Galignani" in Paris.

Since the moderators have not seen fit to delete those recent innapropriate posts I must ask that those posters to kindly cease and desist.

If you decide to purchase and read what I have worked on for three solid years concerning Rasputin's murder and the underlying conspiracy that brought down Imperial Russia, and have any questions about the contents of my book, then I shall be very pleased to respond.

Thank you,

Margarita
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:41:23 PM by Belochka »

Alixz

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 08:29:54 AM »
Margarita,

Please accept my apologies.  It never occurred to me that you would be offended by the direction that this thread has taken.  However, because the book will be available from Paul Gilbert, then I do believe that everyone who wants to buy it should be aware that Paul does charge very high shipping rates.  Remember that Paul is in Canada and close to the US and his Canadian customers, not as far away as you are which would make shipping much higher to you and those "down under".

I don't know what you mean by off the shelf, but if it means what it does here in the US, then there are very few of us in North America who will be travelling to France to buy the book "off the shelf" from "Librairie Galignani" in Paris.

I don't see the comments as inappropriate, simply as additional information that buyers of your book might want to be aware of.

No one here has maligned your book or its contents in any way.  No one has maligned Paul Gilbert either, it is a fact that his shipping amounts are very high compared to other outlets.

I, for one, am still looking forward to reading what took you three years to research and write.  Knowing the scope of your knowledge and the access that you have to source materials, I am sure that this book will be well worth reading.

However, if the cost of receiving the book is not in keeping with cost of the book and/or the weight of the volume, then I might have to pass and so will many others who feel that high shipping and handling just makes the final cost of the book too much for us to handle.  Remember that a book with (for example) a cover price of $35 and a shipping price of $15 now becomes a book that costs $50 and that can be out of the question for students and others who are on tight budgets. I actually don't think that Paul has any book listed where he hasn't posted that "heavy" shipping charges may be added.

I can't count the number of times that I have passed on a book that Paul was selling because of the shipping costs.  Even his sale items, which look so good at first glance, can become very expensive when the shipping is added.  That is why I said that I will often look for the book elsewhere to find that while Paul is charging $15 USD for shipping another source may be charging $3.95 for the same exact volume.  I would wish that your book would be available from multiple outlets (and not just in France) so that we could all make informed purchases.

Again, Margarita, please be assured that we are not veering off topic in an attempt to "high jack" your thread.  And also, we are all very excited about your work and are looking forward to seeing and reading the results.

Please accept my apologies and know that we are truly excited about your work.  

Alixz

Note: 1kg equals about 2 1/2 pounds.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:48:31 AM by Alixz »

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 10:26:24 AM »
First, there is nothing wrong with discussing the cost of shipping of ANY book, as it can and will impact the reasonable person's decision to purchase.  For example, If I want a book who's price is $20 US, and it turns out that it costs me $50 to have it shipped, the total price is $70 and I would probably decide not to order as now the price has more than tripled.

For the record. I went to the UK Royal Mail website to see for myself how much the actual mailing costs of a book from the UK to North America. A book of 1 kg sent by their Surface Mail costs 7 pounds UK or about $10.50 at today's current rate of exchange. If the book goes up to say 1.5 kg, the cost is 10.30 pounds or $15.00.  You can easily go here to determine in advance how much any particular weight book will cost you:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400037&mediaId=400393

You may use this information to decide for yourselves if the shipping rates from the UK to North America any dealer charges you are reasonable or not as you may see fit.  This should render the discussion moot now.

FA

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
Margarita,

Please accept my apologies.  It never occurred to me that you would be offended by the direction that this thread has taken.
...  And also, we are all very excited about your work and are looking forward to seeing and reading the results.

Alixz

Alixz,

Your apology is accepted. Thank you for noting my concerns. I sincerely hope that you shall decide to purchase a copy of my book and let me know what your impressions are.

Best regards,

Margarita