Author Topic: Max II Josef  (Read 5103 times)

Offline VN

• View Profile
Max II Josef
« on: December 28, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
I'd like to know why King Max II Josef wore an earing.  I saw paintings of him wearing  an earing either on the left ear or the right ear,
so he must have had 2 piercings.

Offline Mischa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Max II Josef
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:56:12 PM »
I think you are talking about Max I Josef. I remember seeing paintings of him with a big, golden ring in his ear (like a pirate). At time of Max II (1811-1864) earrings for man were quite out of fashion.

Offline VN

• View Profile
Re: Max I Josef
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:40:09 PM »
Yes I meant Max I. Joseph!!! I think I was reading to much that day about Max and his Brother Karl II (!!) August ;D.
Maybe the FA could change that mistake in the topic.

You are right, Max I. Joseph always appears in his portraits more like a pirate not a monarch, at least on those I have seen. 

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »
I couldn't find the painting you are talking about! Can you post a link?  :)

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 05:53:04 AM »
I couldn't find the painting you are talking about! Can you post a link?  :)

There is no link to a picture. I saw 2 portraits in the Stadtmuseum in Zweibrücken a few days ago and a portrait of him on television on a documentation in 2006 "200 years Kingdom of Bavaria."

I don't have any books about him and his family, only about his aunt Caroline of Hessen-Darmstadt (Große Landgräfin). His Father Friedrich Michael of Zweibrücken was a brother of Caroline.

Well anyway, maybe someone could help to solve the mystery about the earring!!

Offline Mischa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:20:18 PM »
At ebay Germany someone sells a catalogue about the Wittelsbachs exibition in 1980. I thhink the cover shows Max I with a earring.

http://cgi.ebay.de/KRONE-UND-VERFASSUNG-Koenig-Max-I-Katalog-1980_W0QQitemZ200188890247QQihZ010QQcategoryZ7705QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 06:22:22 AM »
I have tried to find some sources about the fashion of the earring. I know that it was fashionable in England during the reign of Elizabeth I. However I remember reading years ago that in France it was popular during this period that Max I Joseph came to youth and Adulthood in.

The below paragraph states that:
The sympathy with France and with French ideas of enlightenment which characterized his reign was at once manifested." so he would have been very aware of French fashion.