Author Topic: A Romanov Fantasy: Life at the Court of Anna Anderson  (Read 11837 times)

OlgaNRomanovaFan

Re: New Anastasia book ... and an old curiosity
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2007, 05:56:08 AM »
I love new AA books... but honestly, this one was basically "The Quest For Anastasia" by John Klier reworded, which was already "Anastasia" by Peter Kurth and "The Romanovs" by Massie put into one book, so in other words, it is absolutely nothing new. I was hoping to read a book with new info about Franziska Schanzkowska, but I think Frances Welch must have written this to make money and nothing more. Just look at her references. She didn't even read that many books on the subject to write this book!

I agree, it was just a re-hashing of old information on her and contrary to the press and blurb there is no insight into how AA pulled all this off. Despite it's bias Peter Kurth's book is still the most comprehensive out there, Frances Welch is just repeating AA's life story again.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 05:19:12 PM »
I started reading this book a couple of days ago and I'm about half way through. It's not a bad read, and other than several mistakes in identifying the photos (she id'ed Olga as Anastasia, etc.) and a few shady sources, it seems that the author did a pretty good job researching. I learned onyl a couple of new things so far, but since I haven't finished reading it yet, I can't really give the final verdict.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2007, 06:57:22 PM »
Helen,

I look forward to your summation.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2007, 03:12:50 PM »
Helen, I would be interested in your final verdict. I just now got it and am more than halfway through. I became very interested when I found out that one very big AA admirer was so upset by the book he wrote a letter to the New York Times. I am actually pretty disappointed because I haven't found any new info so far (though it does have references of things I never knew the source of before) The only real difference does seem to be (like you said) that it doesn't tell the story from the POV that she was or may be AN.  Unfortunatley, it still doesn't, from what I've seen so far, explain the other side or offer many reasonable opposing counterpoints for things that happened. (Sorry but I think my site does a better job of this, and I think I've found more 'new' info) I'll report in with my final review when I finish it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:17:31 PM by Annie »

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2007, 10:11:11 AM »
I have read more of it. She brings out a lot more in depth of Gleb and the Leeds than other books have. I like how she draws a parallel between the AA story and Gleb's ficticious book, "The Baron's Fancy", in which it's obvious he bases the story and characters on AA and Romanov relatives. His mixture of fact and fantasy makes me feel even stronger than ever that he was doing that in real life, and knew it.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2007, 03:06:28 PM »
BTW, I did finish reading it. There wasn't too much new information there, and due to some simple mistakes, I wouldn't take all the information in it as gospel. It was interesting to read, and it was original in a sense that no one really wrote a non-fiction story of Anna Anderson - not as Anastasia but as an Anastasia impostor - and that's the value of this book.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2007, 07:36:27 PM »
BTW, I did finish reading it. There wasn't too much new information there, and due to some simple mistakes, I wouldn't take all the information in it as gospel. It was interesting to read, and it was original in a sense that no one really wrote a non-fiction story of Anna Anderson - not as Anastasia but as an Anastasia impostor - and that's the value of this book.

I'm not quite done, but so far I agree.

What were some of the mistakes, besides the pictures, that you noticed? I see she's still quoting the 'children of the second marriage' thing about FS which was incorrect in Klier and Mingay's book and set of Bear's 'half sister' rumor. Any more?

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2008, 11:13:57 PM »
Well, I finally read this book. It is more readable than some others about the AA case being short and very fast paced, and it defintely has more to say about Botkin. I have never been particularly interested in AA's case, but I got the same impression from this book that I have from others about alot of things pertaining to AA, but I agreed with the authors conclusions, particularly about Botkin. It is interesting to read, but probably not something you are going to learn a whole lot from.