Author Topic: Good biographies of Alix?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Blanch

• View Profile
Good biographies of Alix?
« on: January 14, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »
I've been looking for an advisable Alix's biography for a while now, but I can't find anything in Spanish. Could someone tell me the best books about the life of Alexandra? I mean in English, of course. I've lost hope about finding something in my language.

Thanks in advance.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Good biographies of Alix?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:54:31 PM »
A good starting point is Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert Massie. There are countless others.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:21:23 AM »
IMO, the best biography of Alexandra currently available is Greg King's The Last Empress. It's almost 15 years old and perpetuates a few myths, but it's still the most accurate overall. It includes plenty of footnotes so you can trace all the information back to the original sources.

I don't care for Carolly Erickson's book much at all -- it's too sensationalistic for me.

You might also enjoy The Last Diary of Tsaritsa Alexandra.

The Complete Wartime Correspondence is an excellent resource for Alexandra's letters, but it's VERY hard to find, and very expensive.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:38:47 AM »
King's is not bad. The others are quite good. Massie gives you a very good grounding about Alexandra and Nicholas. It is rather hard to understand her without an understanding of him and the period. Massie tells you about the country she was marrying into and much more. His research is extremely good.

Offline Blanch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 09:04:56 AM »
I already have Massie's "Nicholas and Alexandra", and I liked it, but I was looking for a book more focused on Alexandra and not so much on politics. I agree that a general vision of the country and its situation is necessary to understand her, just the same as Nicholas  but I want to know more about personal issues and her personality.

I'll for King's book in Spanish, but I'm sure it's not easy to find...

Thanks for the help.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 06:07:07 PM »
you're very welcome .. happy reading