Author Topic: Helen Rappaport- Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs  (Read 114401 times)

Offline StevenL

• Boyar
  • Don't believe everything you think.
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Rappaport- Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »
a better buy you could not make.

Agreed.
After thirty+ years of Romanov-reading and Romanov book-collecting, I thought I was "Romanoved-out" for good-- kaput.
Then came FOTR, which to my surprise and delight thoroughly re-awakened my interest, but I figured that pleasant moment
was surely my "last Hurrah," a nice, unexpected flash-in-the-pan for me as far as this whole story was concerned. Well, imagine my
surprise that Helen has actually come up with a totally fresh approach to what I thought was for me a sincerely tired old story.
Her powers of descriptiveness and her ability to bring to life the mood and scenes from Ekaterinburg of July 1918 are unmatched
in Romanov literature. A Romanov library without this perspective is woefully incomplete.

Offline bazjames

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2008, 01:01:50 PM »
I have just finished reading Helen Rappaports book and found it an enthralling read. So easy to read and almost feel you are there at the time.Excellent could not put it down.

Whilst "The Fate of the Romanovs" is of course the "read" on this subject and Wendy Slaters "The Many Deaths of Tsar Nicholas 11"an unmissable read Helen Rappaports book certainly gives one an intimate experience.

I repeat an excellent book and highly recommended.

Barry

Offline helenrappaport

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2008, 01:13:51 PM »
Thank you so much to all who have posted such enthusiastic and appreciative comments.  I really value your feedback and am touched by your willingness, for those living in North America, to pay over the top for the UK version. xx

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »
Well.... i´ve just finish Helen Rappaport´s book, if i had to resume it in one word, the word is EXCELENT.

As not usually english speaker (i am writing from Madrid) i thought it was going to be difficult, but i have read it easily.

I have feel differents feelings reading it, sadness, surprise, curiosity, angoise ( i have specially been touched about Olga´s suffering) ,a fascinating book recommended for all who are interested in Russian History.

Congratularions Helen for such a touching book.

Best regards from Spain

Isabel

Offline halen

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »
Thank you so much to all who have posted such enthusiastic and appreciative comments.  I really value your feedback and am touched by your willingness, for those living in North America, to pay over the top for the UK version. xx

It is worth every penny and then some.

Louise
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

When he shall die
Take him and cut him out into stars
And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,

Lalee

« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2008, 04:59:55 AM »
Considering all your wonderful and positive reviews, I think I will get this book now! =]

Offline markjhnstn

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2008, 07:21:27 AM »
I have ordered this from amazon. Hope to get it tomorrow. I know what I'll be doing on my days off sunday and monday (hopefully!)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2008, 10:16:06 AM »
Looks like the book is now available in the US used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0091921155/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1214579534&sr=1-1

I started reading it.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »
Here is a review of the book published Telegraph in London

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/06/28/bohug128.xml

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2008, 09:32:24 AM »
Interesting. I was not bothered by the structure as the reviewer was, though I see his point. On the contrary I enjoyed zooming in and out, as it were.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2008, 10:06:57 AM »
I didn't have any problems with the structure of the book either. I found the book very informative regarding the atmosphere in the city of Ekaterinburg itself which was not experienced or witnessed by the Imperial family.

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »
I have to agree with the other members and also did not have a problems with the structure. First book i've read which did make my blood run cold as it brought so much to life
Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Offline Jim Wilhelm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2008, 11:10:28 AM »
Hello:

I'm one of those Americans who paid "over the top" for the book ordered directly from the UK. I'm out of the doghouse now and all is forgiven. I've finished the book and I have no regrets about having purchased it. I would like to ask Helen R. a couple of questions about it however.

First, it is stated in the book as a matter of fact that GD Maria was found in a "compromising position" with one of the guards. The source of the information is not cited. Where does this come from? Is there any reason to believe this is anything other than more Bolshevik disinformation?

Secondly, toward the end of the book, the author seems to be suggesting that the reign of Nicholas II laid the foundations for such events as the genocide of the Jews during WWII (the holocaust), the genocide in Africa, etc. It left me unconvinced of that. Helen R...would you be so kind as to share with us your reasons for drawing that conclusion? Thank you so much.

I enjoyed reading the book. Helen R. writes in a gripping, no-nonsense style that will surely hold the reader's attention. I would certainly recommend the book to any Romanov history buff.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Jim Wilhelm
Albuquerque, NM USA

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2008, 11:36:09 AM »
I am also curious- jst one question.  Ms. Rappaort, you mention that the Amerikanskaya  hotel still stands, but is not a hotel any longer. What is it's function now?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline helenrappaport

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2008, 02:24:39 AM »
Although I don’t agree with quite a few of the conclusions in FOTR I do concur that something happened between Maria and the young guard Skorokhodov sufficient to incur the shock and disapproval of her parents and Olga. But I am not suggesting anything sexual as they do. But PLEASE can we not all dive back into something that has been discussed ad nauseam on other threads. My expression  ‘compromising situation’ was the best  I could find to suggest that Maria had had some kind of private moment with Strekhotin sufficient to shock her parents – but I’m thinking in terms of 1900s attitudes and what would shock then and not what would  now. I am not suggesting anything overtly sexual.  It could have been something fairly innocent – a kiss on the cheek to wish her happy birthday, a brief moment in a corner? – in the garden? – sharing  a piece of cake? The evidence comes from Stekotin’s testimony and Yurovsky’s 1922 statement.

As for Jim’s second point please, please don’t misquote me!  This is the second time this has happened – a reviewer jumped on what I said and twisted it in in exactly the same way a Scottish newspaper. What I ACTUALLY said in the epilogue was this:

‘The cold-blooded murder of the Romanov children and with it an attempt at the systematic liquidation of the entire dynasty had been the ultimate litmus test of the amorality of Bolshevik policy. Some historians have seen it as being a turning point in the history of the twentieth century, laying the foundations for far greater acts of organized genocide later, during the Holocaust, in Africa and in Yugoslavia.’

1.  I do not mention Rwanda.
2. I only say that some historians view the Romanov murders in this way
3.  I clearly do not say it is necessarily what I think! I was merely trying to illustrate how the murders, historically, have been perceived by some historians.

In answer to Robert’s question yes the Amerikanskaya is still there, though rather tatty (as all the 19thC buildings still standing in Ekaterinburg are) dusty, and in need of a coat of paint.  There’s a plaque commemorating Chekhov’s visit by the front door.  But  I would not describe it in quite the grand terms K&W did in their book – it’s a two storey, quite run of the mill building with a rusty old cast iron portico – far from opulent I would say.