Author Topic: Helen Rappaport- Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs  (Read 112531 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: Helen Rappaport- Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 05:11:45 PM »
I think that it's meant to be 2009 because generally the UK books will come out first and then they are released in the US about 6 months later, not the other way around, although I wish it was the reverse! ;-)

Offline helenrappaport

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 12:32:31 PM »
My apologies for getting the date wrong - yes, my US publisher had been saying around January 2009 but he is so thrilled with the book that he may well now bring it forward.  Personally I would like it to be out in in the US in time for the 90th anniversary, as in the UK.  For anyone UK- based I will be doing quite a few literary festivals this year, and possibly a US tour if the book takes off there.  So I hope to meet some of you! All best, and thank you so much for your supportive comments and interest. I have a truly wonderful response to the mss from both my publishers. Helen

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »
... possibly a US tour if the book takes off there.  So I hope to meet some of you!

Where would you be touring, Helen? That would be great.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
For those who may be interested, Ms Rappaport has an article in the current [Jan.08] issue of HISTORY TODAY [UK] about Ekaterinburg.  She mentions that the American Hotel is still there, but no longer as a hotel.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »
For those who may be interested, Ms Rappaport has an article in the current [Jan.08] issue of HISTORY TODAY [UK] about Ekaterinburg.  She mentions that the American Hotel is still there, but no longer as a hotel.

Is it possible to get this online?

Offline helenrappaport

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 10:17:50 AM »
You can read my article in History Today as a pay per view - only free I'm afraid if you are a subscriber

http://www.historytoday.com/MainArticle.aspx?m=32448&amid=30252130

I have quite a few reference photos of Ekaterinburg - including the Amerikanskaya, Church on the Blood, Voznesensky Cathedral and Ganina Yama that I will be happy to post after the book is out - that's if I can figure out how to do it!

Offline JBenjamin82

• View Profile
    • My MySpace
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »
I look forward to reading your book, Helen.  :)

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »
I am also looking forward to reading your book.

Amelia

Offline helenrappaport

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
For all those who kindly expressed an interest in my book Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs.  This is to let you know that sadly I have been prevailed upon by my US publisher St Martin's Press to change the title!  Word has come back from yes - sales and marketing - the ultimate arbiters of taste in such matters - that they are worried that the US reading public will not be able to get their heads or their tongues round the name 'Ekaterinburg' and that this might affect sales.  So could I please come up with something more commercial!  Oh well, one has to comply sadly in the present perilous publishing market.  So the new US title is: 'The Romanov Tragedy: Last Days in Ekaterinburg'.  I was determined to hang on to Ekaterinburg in the sub title at least.

I can happily reassure those of you in the UK that the title remains the same for British and Commonwealth Consumption.  Publication 5th June.  I will be appearing at Hay on Wye, Dartington, Edinburgh and hopefully Cheltenham literature festivals this summer. As for US appearances - that is in the lap of the gods and US readers not being thrown by this peculiar place name in the title!  Publication some time between Jan and April 2009.   All best, Helen

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 02:19:26 PM »
How silly. Anyone who would buy the book would know exactly what and where Ekaterinburg means! I will buy the UK edition.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »
I also think I will purchase the UK edition.
I'm sorry for the trouble the editors have given you.
I do agree with Robert, anyone researching the Romanovs would know the importance of Ekaterinburg.

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 09:15:43 PM »
Congrats Helen.  What a great accomplishment, sorry it's tinged by the publishers qualms over the title.  Don't give that a second thought, I'm sure the book will stand on it's own despite the minor change in title.  Looking forward to reading your scholarship.  Thank you for your work.

T

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 01:40:28 AM »
Helen, I will be first in the queue for the Cheltenham Literature Fest. its my home town!!
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 08:33:03 AM »
Word has come back from yes - sales and marketing - the ultimate arbiters of taste in such matters - that they are worried that the US reading public will not be able to get their heads or their tongues round the name 'Ekaterinburg' and that this might affect sales.  So could I please come up with something more commercial!  Oh well, one has to comply sadly in the present perilous publishing market. 

As silly as it sounds, I have a suspicion that the marketing people may be right! Americans are a funny bunch ;-). Regardless of the title, I am sure the book will be a treat. Thanks, Helen, good luck and keep us posted!

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 08:44:06 PM »
The new title is the best one for the US market. It's true that everyone who would buy a Romanov book knows what Ekaterinburg means, it  the city name alone may be taken in passing by the casual public for a travel book or a novel instead of what it is. The title is perfect and the book should do well.  I'm excited! I'm only sorry it's going to take so long to get to the US!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:46:47 PM by Annie »