Author Topic: Helen Rappaport- Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs  (Read 114429 times)

Offline Jim Wilhelm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Rappaport- Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »
Thanks for your thoughtful reply Helen. I did enjoy reading your book. I really did !

Sincerely,

Jim Wilhelm
Albuquerque, NM USA

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2008, 05:31:18 PM »

Aloha all!

First of all I have to say---

Helen I send you a big "mahalo" for such a wonderful read - I have been consciously taking awhile to read it and not devour it in one night - so a chapter or two a day is all I've allowed
myself!  I just finished it this morning and I must say that I enjoyed it so very, very much - while this material has been covered certainly by others - your account is so engrossing and I particularly enjoyed your
characterizations of the various members of the IF. 

I almost cried at "Girls In White Dresses" - and indeed I will never hear that song again without thinking of OTMA - what a perfectly appropriate title for their section!

I have placed your book carefully in my "to keep" Romanov library - if you ever do come to the lovely Hawaiian islands - particularly Kaua'i - you will find at least one big fan who would love to pick your brain!  I mean that in a nice way!

Lovely, lovely book Helen - mahalo nui loa for a wonderful resource for all of us Romanov buffs out here - even in Hawai'i!

Malama Pono,
Janet

Janet R.

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2008, 09:37:41 AM »
I am about halfway through Ekaterinburg  and, along with most others on this thread, am finding it a very enjoyable read.  In particular, I largely share Ms. Rappaport's viewpoint of Nicholas' and Alexandra's personalities, the particularly toxic political mix they inadvertently brewed, and the implications for Russian history.

However, I have seen several mentions of an upcoming American release.  If there is still time, a few editorial errors could perhaps be caught.

I have twice found the Alexander Palace referred to as the Alexandra  Palace.  And Friedrich III's widow was not the Dowager Empress of Prussia.  As there was never an Emperor of Prussia, there could have been no dowager.  (There was a King  of Prussia who was also the German Emperor -- as disctinct from "Emperor of Germany", a title which was avoided in order to convey the notion that the role was one of political leadership of the united peoples of Germany, not one of feudal suzerainity over the lands of all the constituent German principalities.  This was along the lines of Louis XVI being "demoted" from King of France to King of the French after the initial stages of the French Revolution.)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
I am about half way through too, and would like to add a couple more to the above.

I believe that Alexandra's baptismal name was "Alix Victoria...", not "Victoria Alix...." (p 58). Also, on page 88, it states that the Russian 17th century prophecy said that "the Romanov dynasty would begin and end with an Alexey". However, I think that the prophecy actually said that the dynasty would begin and end with a Mikhail. Mikhail Romanov was the first Romanov Tsar (his son Alexey was the second), and some believe that Mikhail, Nicholas's youngest brother - not his son Alexey- was the last Romanov tsar. Of course this latter is still open to debate..

Hope this helps.

I don't want to say too much more since I haven't finished the book yet, but I want to add that I do like the format and don't find it distracting as the review had claimed. I enjoyed learning the detailed history of the city of Ekaterinburg, which definitely set the stage for the dark events which followed.

I will post more of my feedback when I finish reading the book.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:07:35 AM by Helen_A »

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
I am about half way through too, and would like to add a couple more to the above.

I believe that Alexandra's baptismal name was "Alix Victoria...", not "Victoria Alix...." (p 58).

Their names were something of a moveable feast in this family. Both Buxhoeveden (who was close to A's sister) and the published correspondence of her mother (vetted by Princess Helena and edited by the family's pastor) give "Victoria Alix...." as the form, which makes sense, given that she was named for the five daughters of Queen Victoria, and that name originally planned (until Vicky took offence) was "Alix Helena Louise Beatrice" - in order of age. I have seen her referred to in primary evidence as "Princess Alix Victoria", but there was no necessary correslations between the order of baptismal names and the name by which someone was known (viz. her cousins Princesses Marie Louise and Helena Victoria of Schleswig Holstein, neither of whom had these names in that order at baptism).
See her nephew Lord Mountbatten for another example of disputed name ordering: according to Mountbatten himself, he was christened Albert Victor Nicholas Louis Francis and known later as Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas; but the Times court circular entry on his christening gives Albert Victor Nicholas Francis Louis. He was called as a child Prince Louis Francis Battenberg; his brother - christened Louis Victor George Henry Serge - was called Prince George Louis....and so it goes on.
In short, I don't think we can be categorical about WHAT her name order actually was.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »
Also, on page 88, it states that the Russian 17th century prophecy said that "the Romanov dynasty would begin and end with an Alexey".
I would say Empire started and ended with one Mikhail. Also, first Romanov was conorated in Ipatiyev monastery, last seven were killed in Ipatiyev House.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2008, 07:48:08 PM »
Both Buxhoeveden (who was close to A's sister) and the published correspondence of her mother (vetted by Princess Helena and edited by the family's pastor) give "Victoria Alix...." as the form, which makes sense, given that she was named for the five daughters of Queen Victoria...l

I didn't know that, everything I ever read referred to her as "Alix Victoria...". Thanks.

Offline helenrappaport

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2008, 04:25:17 AM »
My thanks for the recent posts and apologies - I have been very busy doing author talks etc. I will respond as soon as I have a bit of time.  Thank you very much to all of you for your continuing interest and support. There will be an opportunity for some minor tweaks for the US edition. all best, Helen

Offline sgc

• "Everyone can master a grief but he that has it."
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
I can confirm that the UK publication date is indeed 5 June 2008 - timed to come out in advance of the 90th anniversary; USA may be around Jan 2008 or earlier I hope.  I'm waiting to hear on any foreign translation rights. Best, Helen

Hi,

New on the board and just thought I'd mention my purchasing the book on Amazon two weeks ago. Arrived via mail from the UK yesterday, after which yours truly immediately started reading it.

Am looking forward to enjoying what you've written, Helen!

Offline helenrappaport

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »
Answers to queries:

1.   Alexandra Palace – apologies for this slip, which will be corrected, though I must admit to being surprised that neither I, my editor, or my proof reader picked it up. That's the human eye for you. The confusion of Alexander/Alexandra Palace was a constant bete noire in the writing of this book because here in England we once famously had an Alexandra Palace, which was burnt down in the 1930s.
2.   Alexandra’s names. My thanks to Janet for a perfectly rational explanation – the swapping around of baptismal names happened all the time with royals who were given a whole strong of them.. Most famously, Queen Victoria was baptised Alexandrina Victoria but hated the name and dropped it the minute she became queen in 1837, but do books refer to her as ‘Alexandrina’. No of course not. One has to allow for what is known as ‘elegant variation’ in such matters.
3.   Victoria, Princess Royal: my slip, she was only Crown Princess and later Queen of Prussia. After she was widowed she was known as the Kaiserin Friederich or Empress Friedrich – in reference to her dead husband’s title. I’ll  amend accordingly.
4.   Romanov prophecy – still working on that one.

Greetings and best wishes, from a horrible, wet, cold England.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2008, 12:30:45 PM »

3.   Victoria, Princess Royal: my slip, she was only Crown Princess and later Queen of Prussia. After she was widowed she was known as the Kaiserin Friederich or Empress Friedrich – in reference to her dead husband’s title. I’ll  amend accordingly.

She was the Princess Royal in Britain though, wasn't she? That's what Princess Anne is called, isn't that the title for the oldest daughter of a ruling monarch?

Offline StevenL

• Boyar
  • Don't believe everything you think.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »
Helen,

Kaiserin Friedrich was indeed Princess Royal, so I think that is not necessarily an item in need of correcting.
Steven

Offline halen

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »

She was the Princess Royal in Britain though, wasn't she? That's what Princess Anne is called, isn't that the title for the oldest daughter of a ruling monarch?

Annie, you are correct. The title Princess Royal is conferred on the eldest daughter of the reigning sovereign. Princess Victorian was given the title in 1841, about a year after her birth.

Louise

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

When he shall die
Take him and cut him out into stars
And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,

Offline dbart

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2008, 07:40:43 PM »
Just finished Helen Rappaport's, Ekaterinberg, and found in interesting with some facts that I had not yet come across.  She has used some liberties in interpretation, but the text is based on historical fact and she certainly has used a wide variety of resources for the material.  I enjoyed the book, but it is a tough read at times because of the bleakness of the material.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2008, 12:47:06 PM »
... but do books refer to her as ‘Alexandrina’. No of course not.

There is definitely more than one biography I remember reading that referred to Victoria as "Alexandrina" when she was a child and switched to "Victoria" when she got older. The fact that her real first name was "Alexandrina" and not "Victoria" is mentioned in pretty much every Victoria biography, so it's relatively common knowledge...  I was always under the impression that even though sometimes members of the royal family may go by a nickname, or something other than their baptismal first name (like "David" for the Duke of Windsor), their legal first names are still their first names and not interchangable with their middle names (just like for the rest of us)... But it sounds like that's not really the case.