Author Topic: Helen Rappaport- Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs  (Read 112545 times)

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Rappaport- Ekaterinburg: The Last Days of the Romanovs
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 11:12:46 AM »
Just to confirm that the book is now 'out' in the UK ~ my copy arrived today. Nice to see this forum mentioned in the acknowledgements.
Looking forward to a good read..........

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »
Ooh, can you feel my envy? I ordered mine through Amazon.uk, so I'm waiting for overseas postage. Looks like it's in stock already though, so maybe it'll ship before the original June 4 estimate!

How does it look -- any new photographs?
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 06:51:14 PM »
It is out now in the UK? Odd, I was just at Hatchard's and Waterstones and they did not have it yet [at least on the shelves]. No matter, I pe-ordered it from Amazon UK and it will be waiting for me when I return to San Francisco.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline halen

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »
I'm thinking of getting the book from Amazon Uk. as I'm not great with patience and I do want to read this latest version of the Imperial Family's last days. I do hope those who have it already will give us their reviews.

Louise
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

When he shall die
Take him and cut him out into stars
And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,

Offline helenrappaport

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »
Dear Friends

I thought you might be interested to know that here in the UK Jonathan Dimbleby's Russia - transmitted on BBC2 last night included a visit to Ekaterinburg and Ganina Yama.  The reporting is rather inaccurate, but if you want to take a look you need to do so in the next 5 days - Ekaternburg sequence is at  about 13 minutes into the programme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b00c0gy9.shtml?src=ip_potpw

I'm really touched by the interest in my book expressed here. I still don't have a US publication date but am out here in UK on Thursday though some of you seem to have already got your copies.  For those interested, here is the very first online review, by leading British novelist Susan Hill, on her book blog on Saturday May 31:

http://blog.susan-hill.com/blog/_archives/2008/5/31/3722614.html

Meanwhile for anyone in the UK, I will be appearing at Dartington lit fest 17 July; Edinburgh on 13 August and Cheltenham on 16 October.

Thank you so much for your interest in my book.  I hope it does not disappoint. Helen

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 01:41:33 PM »
I linked to the Dimbleby programme over on the TV thread. Unfortunately it seems it is only us "Brits" who can access it. Helen, your book is winging its way to me as we speak and I look forward to seeing you at the Cheltenham Festival.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »
Unfortunately it seems it is only us "Brits" who can access it.

Yes, that seems to be the case... :-(

Helen, your book is winging its way to me as we speak and I look forward to seeing you at the Cheltenham Festival.

I hope Helen eventually makes it to the US!

Offline Raegan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »
I ordered my copy through Amazon UK because I am NOT going to wait until 2009 to read this book! I am traveling to Detroit this month, and I now have something to read on my flight! I am so excited about this book! By the way, Ms. Rappaport, did you ever find out if you are going to travel across the US for any book signings? If so, Helen_A and I would love to attend one. If you find out a schedule, please let us know. 

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »
IIf so, Helen_A and I would love to attend one. If you find out a schedule, please let us know. 

Yes, absolutely!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
I'm thinking of getting the book from Amazon Uk. as I'm not great with patience and I do want to read this latest version of the Imperial Family's last days. I do hope those who have it already will give us their reviews.

Louise

Absolutely. My copy shipped today, so I hope to be able to offer my opinions within the week. :)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 06:33:19 PM »

Aloha all!

Well I've followed the crowd and also ordered this eagerly-awaited book from Amazon.UK - which I've never done before!  I also received notification that it shipped - altho' I am expecting it to take awhile to reach me
all the way in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

I can't wait to read this - seems like a wonderful read from a knowledgeable author.   :)

Maybe Ms. Rappaport would like to make a trip to Hawai'i for those of us Romanov fans here (I'm sure there are others, I just don't know them!) -- well, it's a thought!   ;D

Malama Pono,
Janet
Janet R.

Offline halen

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 08:58:17 AM »
Just to confirm that the book is now 'out' in the UK ~ my copy arrived today. Nice to see this forum mentioned in the acknowledgements.
Looking forward to a good read..........

Hi, s.v. markov. Have you had a chance to read your book? If you have, would it be  possible for you to give the board your opinion on the book?

Thanks muchly,

Louise
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

When he shall die
Take him and cut him out into stars
And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,

Offline helenrappaport

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2008, 05:19:51 AM »
Janet - how nice to know that someone all the way over in the Pacific is keen to read my book!  I'd love to make a visit but don't think my publishers would stump up the money.!  But I might just possibly get to Australia if the book does well.  All best wishes, Helen

Offline Sian_Turner

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2008, 09:48:40 AM »
Dear Helen

This is just to say that I spent four hours last night reading you new book and thought it represents a great deal of hard work on your part.  I found it very readable and appreciate that it is a very different take on the last days of the imperial family.  I particularly liked your very realistic presentation of the family and the way that you have analysed the psychologial and emotional dynamic between the girls and Alexandra.  I found your proposition that Lenin was more involved in the decision an interesting one and well supported.

However, I'm afraid I will have to agree to disagree with your acceptance that the entire family died that night.  As all here on this board know I'm an un-believer when it comes to this.  One slight nit pick - you say that Marie and Alexey were cremated and buried separately from the rest of the group because they were the two smallest.  I was under the impression that Marie was one of the tallest and definately the sturdiest amongst the girls - surely if it's the two smallest then this would be Alexei and Anastasia, but this is a real nit pick, please don't be offended.

But this does not prevent me enjoying and appreciating a well-written and pacey account.  What came through to me, more than anything else, was the family's isolation and sense of fatalistic acceptance (especially by Nicholas) and the frenetic attempts by the Ekaterinburg Bolsheviks to get Moscow's approval.  I could also sense the incredible frustration on Sir Thomas Preston's part in his attempts to alert the British Government to the family's situation.

Best wishes and congratulations on the publication.  Sian

Offline historylover

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Writer and Editor
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2008, 07:10:48 AM »
Hello Helen,

I am another Aussie very interested in reading your book.  I know that there are plenty of Russophiles here, and
I'm sure that it's going to create a lot of interest.

It does sound very harrowing, however, so I'll have to brace myself.  When I've read it (I will order it from OS) I hope to review it
on my blog.

Best,
Lisa
www.bookaddiction.blogspot.com