Author Topic: Hohenzollern Jewels  (Read 109244 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Hohenzollern Jewels
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 08:56:30 PM »
I think this is the anniversary emerald & diamond tiara. You can also see her lovely brooch and necklaces. If the tiara is the emerald one, I would suppose the one necklace and brooch consist of emeralds as well. You can also see the numerous pearls she wears near her waist.

I think this may be the aquamarine tiara

The trefoil tiara Wilhelm designed

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:59:00 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »
This could be the diamond tiara (3rd tiara mentioned in my post)

aquamarine tiara & set

Whopper of a brooch (either emerald or sapphire it appears)

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 01:58:13 AM »
I wonder how her collection compared to Vickys? Vicky inherited all Queen Elizabeths jewels too.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »
Cartierwent to Holland in 1920 and bought from Wilhelm (who had a cash flow problem )some of the Hohenzollern pearls..

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »
thanks Grandduchess for the info and pictures. If the NY Times claim that Augusta's jewel collection was second only to Alexandra's, it would have been larger and more grand than what seems documented. Is that correct? Any ideas of what is missing and where they went?
HerrKaiser

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 08:48:34 PM »
As the Kaiserin is a less-known figure than Empress Alexandra, and even at that the whereabouts of many Romanov jewels is unknown, it's not surprising that many of Dona's pieces's whereabouts, even their provenance, are unclear or unknown. Most of the ones that are known are because they stayed in the royal 'limelight' through her daughter Victoria Louise and VL's descendants.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 12:26:39 AM »
Have any Books been written about these jewels? Or the jewels included in a Book of any kind?

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 05:17:28 AM »
A large collection of Frederick the Great's bejewelled suff boxes are in the Gilbert Collection  and was exhibited until last week at Somerset House. I believe it is now being moved to V and A museum 

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2008, 09:29:18 AM »
As the Kaiserin is a less-known figure than Empress Alexandra, and even at that the whereabouts of many Romanov jewels is unknown, it's not surprising that many of Dona's pieces's whereabouts, even their provenance, are unclear or unknown. Most of the ones that are known are because they stayed in the royal 'limelight' through her daughter Victoria Louise and VL's descendants.

Yes, agree, that makes sense. Relative, however, to the claim made in the NY Times, what scope are we talking about in terms of important pieces--tiaras, major necklaces, earings, broches, bracelets--historically speaking of what is known to have existed? Were there hundreds of pieces, scores? The list above is about 6 notable items; the windsor threads show at least 20. Just trying to get a feeling of quantity. thanks!
HerrKaiser

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2008, 11:58:21 AM »

Yes, agree, that makes sense. Relative, however, to the claim made in the NY Times, what scope are we talking about in terms of important pieces--tiaras, major necklaces, earings, broches, bracelets--historically speaking of what is known to have existed? Were there hundreds of pieces, scores? The list above is about 6 notable items; the windsor threads show at least 20. Just trying to get a feeling of quantity. thanks!
The " little Sancy" diamond which has for long been part of the family jewls has recently been on display in Brussels in a great historic gems exhibition...it is still owned by the head of the family or a associated trust..

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »
The Sancy Diamond is a whopping 40 carats and has been in the Hohenzollern collection since Frederick I. This diamond was one of a pair, the other having 55 carats and the larger is on permanent display at the Louvre.

Does anyone know how Augusta worn this gem?
HerrKaiser

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »
I suppose getting a feel for the collection would need clarification--are we still referring to only Augusta Victoria's jewelry or the Hohenzollern jewels (Crown and personal) in total?

I only supplied the information I had at hand--I'm sure there are much better jewel experts than I who could supply more and who have contributed greatly to the accumulation of information on the Windsor jewels. It's to be expected though that there will be more on the latter since the jewels are still commonly seen today--look how some of the jewels belonging to Queens Victoria, Alexandra and Mary have fallen off the radar and they didn't even suffer a revolution! Just the progression of various inheritances, sales, donations to charity and items just stuck away in the vaults. Most of the items I listed above had 'current whereabouts unknown' and sometimes even the provenance of the items.

Based on some of her photos, not just the ones I've posted, Dona seems to have had quite a large quantity (and quality) of brooches, necklaces and earrings. I don't think that she had a good number of tiaras (though just the 5 or so listed would seem pretty good to most of us!) and I don't think she had the opportunity ala Queens Alexandra & Mary or Empresses Marie and Alexandra to show them off. The Hohenzollerns didn't have coronations and I don't think they had the equivalent of the Opening of Parliament which enabled the British Queens to dress themselves in their finest.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 04:09:22 AM »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 08:40:26 AM »
Thanks for the link.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »
I am not sure about the private jewels held by the family. It seems to me that most have been dispersed through sale and inheritance, wedding gifts and simple financial need. [as has been mentioned] However, Lord Twining has  several  nice pictures in his  Crown Jewels of Europe, sadly, in black and white.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.