Author Topic: Why was my post deleted?  (Read 18485 times)

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
Why was my post deleted?
« on: February 25, 2008, 07:25:45 PM »
I read the thread about Eurohistory and I posted my comment yet it was deleted. It was not offensive nor I took sides with anyone.. but It was my opinion, then someone deleted it.. Did my comment go against someone's interest?.. that will be the only reason that I can come up with....

Could the person who deleted my posting explain why it was deleted???..
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Why was my post deleted?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:54:02 PM »
I hadn't even been aware of the thread until you posted this. I went and took a look and yikes!

All I could guess is that perhaps a moderator or the FA tried to clean up any offensive post--sometimes when this happens, responses to a deleted post (or one referencing it) get deleted as well, regardless of their tone, so as not to confuse people or leave the lingering rancor. I've deleted posts like this and tried to tell people when I did so that they didn't think that they had done anything to offend.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »
No, it was a few selected posts which were deleted... I think Lisa Davidson deleted them so maybe we should ask her.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »
It seems the whole thread is gone and a post by Bob asking for no more discussion of the book and the issues around it for the sake of his sanity.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:53:29 AM »
Also, the Author's Obligations thread seems to have been deleted too. I was wondering why... Are we or are we not allowed to discuss Fate of the Romanovs? Yesterday we were told we could, but since the thread was deleted it seems that it's not the case once again? Please advise....

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 09:04:48 AM »
Ok, Helen, all personal snarkery aside, your new avatar cracks me up. Well played!

Simon
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:05:53 AM »
Ok, Helen, all personal snarkery aside, your new avatar cracks me up. Well played!

Thanks, it was just for you!

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 09:19:07 AM »
Hi,

I seem to be going backwards here!
Last night I had 167 posts and today I have 164......

I don't think I have ever posted anything vulgar or profane and am wondering what gives???

Also, I was not involved with the 4 day marathon over Eurohistory, so why should I be penalized?

Any moderator wish to answer this before I vacate this message board permanently????

Larry

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 09:21:43 AM »
There seems to a lot of deleting going on....
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
Hi,

I seem to be going backwards here!
Last night I had 167 posts and today I have 164......

I don't think I have ever posted anything vulgar or profane and am wondering what gives???

Also, I was not involved with the 4 day marathon over Eurohistory, so why should I be penalized?

Any moderator wish to answer this before I vacate this message board permanently????

Larry

Aside from the one thread I deleted at Bob's request, and several posts of personal attacks by other posters directed at a Mod, I have no idea what has been deleted.  There is one thread that I posted in before bed last night, that was gone this morning Tx time, and I'm not happy that it was deleted without my knowledge or permission.

That said, sometimes if an entire thread is deleted, the perfectly good posts go out along with the offending ones Larry, otherwise the thread might no longer make any logical sense.

Second, WHY in the world would you think you are somehow "penalized" for your post count decreasing.  This is no "contest" for most posts, there are no prizes trust me, so who cares if you have 167 or 164 honestly?  Lord, people get so bloody worked up over their post count numbers I may just turn the darn thing off totally...I just left it up there for grins for you users, but if people are going to get so worked up about it that they're going to leave over their post count, its gone totally...

Lighten up.

Offline Puppylove

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »
Also, the Author's Obligations thread seems to have been deleted too. I was wondering why... Are we or are we not allowed to discuss Fate of the Romanovs? Yesterday we were told we could, but since the thread was deleted it seems that it's not the case once again? Please advise....

Holy smokes, you're right, the author's obligations thread was vaporized! I went from Boyar all the way down to 48 posts! We were all working really hard to keep that on track with honest discussion. No mods were under attack there, in fact no one was under attack after receiving the ok to continue discussing FOTR in context and without personal vendettas.  Please may we have it back? At 26 pages it had surely generated interest, most of it legitimate.

Thanks, Jenn
"The censor's sword pierces deeply into the heart of free expression." Earl Warren

"...and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 09:50:30 AM »
There seems to a lot of deleting going on....

Yes, and that is exactly my point..  I did not know Lisa Davison had deleted my post…. Why?.. Is there any book she wants Eurohistory to publish??... so, she’s  looking after her “boss”?... So one is not allowed to post  one’s opinions if they “harm” one of the moderators interest???..... Is that it???..... I don’t know, but that is the only reason I can come up with until she tells me why she deleted my post… And this has nothing to do with Eurohistory, it has to do with my right to express my opinion…..  my post was deleted last friday, before the complete thread had been deleted.. and it was not offensive I just said "And to think he could have given the money back since the beggining, at least he could have saved his reputation as a person, not to talk about the one as a bussines man"... That was it...

Can anyone tell me why was my post deleted????
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 09:55:22 AM »
Valmont, you post was deleted because we were trying to stay out of being dragged into something THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS FORUM ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

Lisa D., to the best of my knowledge and belief has NO financial interest in a book being published or not and certainly NOT an employee of Arturo.

Posts like yours, to be blunt, were part of the reason why Bob and I were threatened with legal action, which we will NOT become involved in, and which is WHY the Eurohistory discussion IS AT AN END PERIOD. Full Stop.
Further posts about it will be deleted on sight. No further warning.

Yes, I have no idea what happened to Author's Obligations, and am very angry at whoever deleted it against Bob and my wishes and decision. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:58:57 AM by Forum Admin »

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:02:10 AM »
Forum Admin,

Lighten up! yourself!!!!!!  How insulting...

Today, I have tried to post 3 different times and have seen these go into the ether of "where?"....
I suspect this will do the same and you will wonder why you have one less member - or not...  You don't care really, that's obvious...

Goodbye,
Larry

Alixz

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 10:08:52 AM »
FA - personally, I am glad that the discussion of the previously named book publisher has gone away.  I admit that I posted once on it and then regretted my interference in something that was truly none of my business.

Although I do have an opinion and obviously so do many others, sometimes "discretion is the better part of valour".

As for the number of posts, I have said before that I don't care to be raised in rank just because I have the time to type a lot.  Makes no difference to me.  I hardly ever look at the numbers.

Larry - don't go.  This whole forum could be gone if Bob and Rob are sued.  And the forum is still their sandbox and we only get to play here by their consent and by their rules.