Author Topic: Duke Philippe Emanuel de Vendome, and his family  (Read 40142 times)

Offline Princess Jil

• View Profile
Duke Philippe Emanuel de Vendome, and his family
« on: March 19, 2008, 04:38:49 AM »
I would like some info on this sisters.  It would be nice to also see some photos of them.  Thanks.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Duke Philippe Emanuel de Vendome, and his family
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:52:10 PM »
I'm sorry I don't have much infos in their lives, but on the page Worldroots, that interesting genealogical site, you find some very nice and beautiful pictures of them. If you don't find them, I'll post them later.
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 02:39:14 PM »
Yes this is interesting as there is not much on this " Belgian" side of the Orleans family. Genevieve marquise de Chaponay sold a fabulous necklace of turquoise and diamonds inherited from G Dss Stephanie of Baden to V+ A museum in London. Louise's son Pr Gaetano became a British subject and emigrated to Zimbabwe and i suppose his family is up to their necks in the troubles there.

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »
I would like some info on this sisters.  It would be nice to also see some photos of them.  Thanks.

There is one pic of M.Louise and another of Sophie on Mardam's site.
Just scroll down to the bottom.
Sadly, no pic of Genevieve

http://www.royaltyguide.nl/families/bourbon/bborleans2.htm

Offline Eric VdV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 05:41:51 PM »
Princess Marie-Louise married in a love match Prince Filippo of Bourbon-Two Sicilies in 1916, when she was still too young according to her mother Princess Henriette. Unfortunately the marriage already colapsed soon after, even when the next year their only son Prince Gaëtano was born. Prince Filippo was more interested in games and arts. Divorce an annulment of the marriage were pronounced in 1925. Later on, Princess Marie-Louise remarried Walter Kingsland from the States. As her father Prince Emmanuel, Duke of Vendôme was very firm on marriages to commoners, he didn't want to meet his son-in-law nor his daughter, the same case when his son Prince Charles-Philippe married the American Marguerite Watson.

Princess Sophie was mentally retarded. Her maternal grandmother Princess Marie of Belgium, Countess of Flanders, cared more for her as her mother who couldn't cope with the situation of giving birth to a mentally retarded child. Unfortunately, there were rumours to marry her off, but plans were never concluded. Princess Sophie died suddenly from a failing heart muscle.

Princess Geneviève married a noble Frenchman Marquis Antoine de Chaponay, who was a widower of Diane de Cossé-Brissac. They had two children, Henryane, who never married and is still alive and was a friend of her second cousin Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg. The son Pierre-Emmanuel entered in the military school of Pensacola in Florida and disappeared together with 30 student colleagues in a hydro plane flying over the Golf of Mexico during the Second World War.

Recommendation book which is very good, but only in French: "Henriette, Duchesse de Vendôme" by Dominique Paoli.
In the book pictures of the three princesses as of their brother Prince Charles-Philippe, Duke of Nemours.

Eric VdV

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 06:32:57 AM »
many thanks for giving us this new information Eric.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:41:09 AM »
Here are some pictures from the Worldroot-site. Sometimes these pictures are also to find on ebay, but not now, I had just taken a look.

Princess Marie Louise, another picture:

Very little Marie with sibling:

Genevieve:

I think with her brother?

A pity that the last is very small.

The infos about them were very interesting, I did not know anything about their lives before...A pity that one of them was mentally retarded. I would not guess it from the picture, she looks very nice there. Also a pity that her mother was not the right person to manage it and that she died so early, because of a heart decease. She's a lovely girl from the pictures. Interesting is also that their grandmother was Sisis sister, married to d'Alencon family.
Does anybody know more about the son of Genevieve, as she seems to have been the only of them leaving descendants until today....Any pictures of him?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:45:40 AM by britt.25 »
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Eric VdV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 06:36:32 PM »
Very little Marie with sibling:

Genevieve:

I think with her brother?

The infos about them were very interesting, I did not know anything about their lives before...A pity that one of them was mentally retarded. I would not guess it from the picture, she looks very nice there. Also a pity that her mother was not the right person to manage it and that she died so early, because of a heart decease. She's a lovely girl from the pictures. Interesting is also that their grandmother was Sisis sister, married to d'Alencon family.
Does anybody know more about the son of Genevieve, as she seems to have been the only of them leaving descendants until today....Any pictures of him?

The sibling together with Princess Marie-Louise is Princess Sophie.

Yes, it is Princess Geneviève with her brother Prince Charles-Philippe, Duke of Nemours.

The only remaining descendant of Princess Geneviève is her daughter Henryanne de Chaponay, who is still alive, but never married. Her brother died without issue at the age of 18. So, the only descendants of Prince Emmanuel & Princess Henriette, Dukes of Vendôme are the two sons and their children of their grandson Prince Gaëtano of Bourbon-Two Sicilies.

Eric VdV

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 08:01:59 AM »
Prince Gaetano became a British citizen after the war and emigrated with his wife Olivia Yarrow and two sons to Rhodesia and died there in 1984 ( Olivia 1987). Sons Adrian b 1948 and Gregory b 1950 married local girls although i believe Greg Bourbon has remarried an Australian girl in 1987, Carrie Thomley. Adrian has a son and daughter by Linda Idensohn, Philip b 1977, Michelle b 1979. Greg and his first wife Maureen Powell had two sons Christian b 1974 (  married Brigette Dick 1997 ) and Raymond b 1978. As far as I know they are farmers and are still in Zimbabwe...?

Offline Princess Jil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Thank you everyone for the photos and info.  I have one postcard of the three sisters with their mother.  I will post it later. 

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:11:17 PM »
the same case when his son Prince Charles-Philippe married the American Marguerite Watson.

When rumors first came up, Henriette vehemently denied to the press that there was an imminent marriage or an elopement.

In 1921, the rumors of Sophie's engagement were to the Prince Regent of Serbia, later King Alexander I of Yugoslavia. He wound up marrying her distant cousin (via the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen strain) Marie of Romania. She died at Chateau Tourround, near Evian in Savoy and was buried at Dreux.

Marie Louise's marriage was celebrated 'quietly' (though it garnered some press in the US) at St Richard's Roman Catholic Church in New York. The bride's parents were absent due to the 'illness' of the Duke.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:46:10 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:24:21 AM »
Are there any pictures of Louise and Philippe's second spouses ?

Thanks in advance

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 02:16:22 PM »
any info on Walter Kingsland and how he got her to the alter in NY?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 05:47:55 PM »
I think they moved in some of the same circles. Time magazine described him as being 'of New York and Paris' and he and his first wife went to a lot of events in Europe were there were royal guests. The couples goings were noted quite frequently in American & British papers. This held true for his parents as well with his mother being described as 'so well known in Paris' and his parents had an apartment on the Bois de Bologne. Walter lived with his widowed father in Paris at the time of his engagement. His cousin Marian eventually married into the German nobility.

One correction, they were married at St Richard's in Chichester, Sussex--not in NYC. Marie Louise had a cottage in Chichester where they spent their wedding night before honeymooning in London. The wedding was enveloped in secrecy and security and you had to show a triangular ticket to gain admittance--even the groom! ML wore mauve orchids on her fur coat and the church was adorned with the same flower. There was no music during the ceremony but the wedding ring was a French royal heirloom.

Marguerite Watson (of New York and Newport) was married to ML's brother in the register's office at Covent Garden. His parents's objection to the marriage was noted and there were just 3 witnesses. The couple took separate taxis to their reception. The bride was in navy and thin and pale since she was still recovering from an appendectomy. Marguerite's maternal grandparents were the Baron & Baroness von Ketteler of Stuttgart with her grandfather fighting with Napoleon in the Russian campagin and receiving the Legion of Honor. Her maternal great-grandmother was the Countess von Schwerin. Her cousin, a later Baron von Ketteler served in diplomatic posts for Germany and was assassinated during the Boxer Uprising where he was Military Attache. Another cousin, Baron von Meyer, married a Princess of Lippe-Detmold.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:14:07 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 05:42:06 AM »
thank you for that. I presume hee was a wealthy man . Any more info on her family in Zimbabwe?