Author Topic: Fabergé’s Beautiful Creations (w/photos)  (Read 94868 times)

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Fabergé’s Beautiful Creations (w/photos)
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
From Art Daily:

VMFA Appoints Geza von Habsburg as Guest Curator of Faberge Collection

RICHMOND, VA.- The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts has appointed Dr. Geza von Habsburg as guest curator of its Lillian Thomas Pratt Collection of Russian Imperial Jewels by Peter Carl Fabergé.

Von Habsburg is an internationally known author and authority on Fabergé. He has been curator and organizer for a number of Fabergé exhibitions in the United States and abroad, among them "Fabergé, Jeweler to the Tsars" (1986-87) at Kunsthalle der Hypo-Kulturstiftung in Munich, Germany, and "Fabergé in America," which was shown at VMFA and four other U.S. cities (1996-97).

He was chief curator of the exhibition "Fabergé, Imperial Court Jeweler," which was shown in St. Petersburg, Paris and London (1993-94). He has also written or co-written nine books on Fabergé and related topics, among them "Fabergé: Imperial Craftsman and His World," published in 2000.

"We are delighted to have Dr. von Habsburg in this key position at VMFA," says VMFA Director Alex Nyerges. "Our Fabergé collection is one of the most important in the world, and someone of his authority and expertise as guest curator will add greatly to our understanding of the work of this significant artist."

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts' Pratt collection includes the largest public assemblage of Fabergé imperial Easter eggs outside Russia. The full Pratt collection numbers approximately 150 creations from the Fabergé workshops.

As guest curator at VMFA, von Habsburg will examine and catalog the collection in anticipation of a major exhibition and accompanying publication. The exhibition, "Fabergé Revealed," will be on view at VMFA beginning July 9, 2011, in the new special exhibition galleries of the James W. and Frances G. McGlothlin Wing, opening in May. The exhibition will be shown only in Richmond.

For the first time, the exhibition will present the entire VMFA collection of Fabergé works and associated items alongside a number of key loans from prominent international collectors.

A publication will catalog the entire VMFA Fabergé collection and will include a series of essays by von Habsburg and other international scholars. Following the closing of "Fabergé Revealed," von Habsburg will oversee the reinstallation of the collection in an enlarged and redesigned permanent gallery.

Von Habsburg is the grandson of King Frederick Augustus III of Saxony and the great-great-grandson of Emperor Franz-Joseph of Austria. Born in Budapest in 1940, he attended universities in Fribourg and Berne, Switzerland; Munich, Germany; and Florence, Italy. He earned a doctoral degree from the University of Fribourg in 1965. He is curatorial director of the London-based Fabergé Company.

VMFA's Lillian Thomas Pratt Collection of Russian Imperial Jewels by Peter Carl Fabergé was formed between 1933 and 1946 by Lillian Thomas Pratt of Fredericksburg, Va., the wife of General Motors executive John Lee Pratt. In 1947 she bequeathed several hundred pieces of Russian art, many from the Fabergé workshops, to VMFA.

Fabergé, born the son of a jeweler in St. Petersburg in 1846, was named goldsmith and jeweler to the Russian court in the mid-1880s. In 1885, Czar Alexander III proposed to Fabergé the creation of an elaborate Easter egg to be presented to the czarina. Such special eggs became an Easter tradition throughout Alexander's reign and that of his son and successor, Nicholas II. Fifty imperial eggs are known to have been fashioned before the fall of the house of Romanov in 1917. Five, all from Nicholas' reign, are in the Pratt collection. They are the Revolving Miniatures Egg (1896), the Pelican Egg (1897), the Peter the Great Egg (1903), the Czarevitch Egg (1912) and the Red Cross Egg (1915).

Fabergé fled Russia in 1918, after his firm was closed by the Bolsheviks. He died in Lausanne, Switzerland, in 1920.

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 11:00:57 PM »
In 1989 I went to San Diego, CA to see 26 of the Faberge eggs.  What really amazed me was the small size of many of them.  Quite a lot of them are the size of an actual hens egg.

I did wish that the curator had displayed them with more attention to detail, as they were very dusty.

http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/big15th.html

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2010, 06:16:38 AM »
Attn.  Reply # 46:  I saw the same exhibition twice, Douglas, travelling to California with a family member on two different occasions especially for that.  Yes, it does amaze people that the eggs can be so small, but you will notice that as they progress through the years, they become increasingly larger and larger.  To me the wonder is the "Rose Trellis Egg." Unexpectedly small!  I was, for a goodly time, less than 10 inches from it, gazing intently, and I STILL had trouble making out the opening lines. However, my favorite of all the Faberge eggs remains the "Catherine the Great Egg."  The richness of presentation is quite unbelievable!  Regards,  AP
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:38:22 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 02:07:18 PM »

This egg, the Catherine The Great Egg of 1914,  is 4 1/2 inches high.  It truely is a wonder.

Attn.  Reply # 46:  I saw the same exhibition twice, Douglas, travelling to California with a family member on two different occasions especially for that.  Yes, it does amaze people that the eggs can be so small, but you will notice that as they progress through the years, they become increasingly larger and larger.  To me the wonder is the "Rose Trellis Egg." Unexpectedly small!  I was, for a goodly time, less than 10 inches from it, gazing intently, and I STILL had trouble making out the opening lines. However, my favorite of all the Faberge eggs remains the "Catherine the Great Egg."  The richness of presentation is quite unbelievable!  Regards,  AP
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:08:58 PM by Douglas »

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »
Thanks, Douglas!  It is amazing! Even more so in "real life."  However, the small sedan chair that you show is not the original "surprise" that came with this egg.  The Dowager Emprerss Marie F. describes the "surprise" as a miniature figure of Catherine II in a sedan chair, being carried by two "Court Arabs." When the sedan chair was wound, the little assembly mechanically walked along, carrying the Empress Catherine  II.  There DOES exist an almost exact mechanical example of the three figures and chair, but inspection has shown that it is larger and will NOT fit into the cavity of this egg.  Best regards,  AP
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:56:31 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline ArchitectCS

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 12:07:37 PM »

Here are some Fabergé pieces in the Cleveland Museum.  I took the pictures myself, so I apologize for some of the quality.

Overall shot of one display:

Picture frame (sorry, I can't remember who the picture is of, but I'm sure some of the Romanov buffs know).

Two shots of the Kremlin Clock.  I believe this used to be in Nicholas II's bathroom in the Alexander Palace.

Overall of the other display case:

Some Romanov portraits:

Some Fabergé puppies

The 1915 Red Cross Egg

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
Re  Reply #50:  The photo of the couple in the frame is of the Grand Duke (and Grand Duchess )Sergei Alexandrovich as Governor-General of Moscow.  While I could be mistaken about the location (I have seen a number of exhibitions of Faberge over the years!), there is a near duplicate (slight modification to the ornamentation at the top of the frame:  Imperial Crown surmounting the arms showing St. George, the Moscow armorial) in the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA, USA.     AP
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:33:00 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Constantinople

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2010, 09:25:39 AM »
I saw an exhibit at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and was amazed by the level of craftsmanship.  My favourite is the Shtandart egg

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2011, 04:41:32 PM »
   For those who have an interest in interesting pieces of Faberge, please note that a Special Exhibition (of Faberge) will be held at the Summer Opening of Buckingham Palace, 23 July - 3rd October.  Among the pieces will be one with an association of names that most of the posters here on the APTMF will recognize.
   Quoting from the item's description given for the Exhibition (given and shown on the "Glittering Royal Events Message Board's, "Royal Jewels of the World"/Exhibition Microsite Link") :   "Inkwell / before 1896 / Anders Nevalainen / Presented to Princess Elizabeth and Lt. Phillip Mountbatten /  On the occasion of their wedding on 20 November, 1947, the Queen (then Princess Elizabeth) and the Duke of Edinburgh received two presents of works by Faberge including this rock crystal inkwell from Baroness Sophie Buxhoeveden.  She had been Tsariana Alexandra's favourite Lady in Waiting.  After her escape from Russia, she eventually came to live in London, in a Grace and Favour apartment at Kensington Palace, serving unoffically as the Dowager Marchioness of Milford Haven's Lady in Waiting. The lid of the inkwell is set with a Catherine the Great rouble enamelled in red with gadrooned silver mounts."  
   The Royal Collection's inventory number ifor this item is : RCIN 49631.     AP.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:51:36 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »
Amongst the exhibits are going to be several more additions bought by the Queen and Prince Charles showing the collection is still growing!

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »
Yes, you are quite correct.  If it is not THE largest ("private") collection of Faberge in the world, it is certainly ONE of the larger.  Regards,  AP.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:53:43 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Fabergé’s Beautiful Creations (w/photos)
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2011, 12:48:48 AM »
There's a wonderfull exhibition at present on Fabergé items and eggs at the Salone di Raffaello of the Pinacoteca of the Vatican Museum.

http://mv.vatican.va/2_IT/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Mostre_06_faberge.html

Je Maintiendrai

Offline lilianna

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2011, 07:26:07 AM »
    Re Post # 57:   Thank you, "lilianna," for the film clip.  It is VERY interesting (and for me, the FIRST time) to see at 02:24, the "Renaissance (Casket) Egg"  AND  its supposedly long-lost "surprise" ("The Resurrection Egg") united in display as such! This discovery was earlier made by one of the Forbes' sons and since they owned BOTH the items at that time, it was easy to demonstrate his hypothesis.
    I understand that the "Resurrection Egg"  fits EXACTLY within the "Renaissance Egg, with no movement.  While there are no pearls on the "Renaissance Egg" per se, I understand that the surprise was mentioned in records as having pearl decoration, which it does!  
    Since I presently do not know the extent of any potential universal agreement among the Faberge experts around the world, I have not heard of any discussion/decision to "de-classify" the "Resurrection Egg" as a "stand-alone" egg in its own right, thereby diminishing the individual "Imperial Egg" count by one. Regardless, it is a wonderful work of art, and when placed within the translucent casket-egg, I understand that the Risen Figure is almost "mystically" visible!                         Regards,  AP.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:49:30 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2011, 12:35:26 AM »
The triangular frame pictured here looks like one that was on Nicholas's desk in the Old study