Author Topic: Fabergé’s Beautiful Creations (w/photos)  (Read 77530 times)

Alixz

Re: Fabergé’s Beautiful Creations (w/photos)
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
The last time I saw many of the eggs in that collection was when they were in the lobby of the Forbes Magazine offices in New York City.

AP - remember my joke about the Orange Tree Egg?

They are now so clean and so much more beautiful than when I saw them.  I am glad that they are being so well taken care of!

I can see how the "Resurrection Egg" could be the surprise inside that casket that it now resides with.  What a beautiful combination that gift would make for Easter which was the most celebrated religious holiday and the most holy in the Orthodox Faith.

Does anyone have a translation of that clip in English?  I recognized some words, but I am hopeless with spoken Russian.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »
Here is an updated description of the upcoming exhibition "Faberge Revealed" at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. There is to be an exhibition catalog published as well.

http://wotbn.net/vmfa-to-host-argest-collection-of-faberge-in-the-u-s/

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »
Re Reply # 61:  Sounds very good!  I have seen several exhibitions of Faberge's craftsmanship hosted by the VMFA in Richmond, Virginia, USA.  It is to be remembered that they are "home" to 4 of the Imperial Eggs. I have seen them a number of times. I have the impression that if the eggs are available to be "on loan" to other exhibitions, at least one of the 4 remains on display at the VMFA.  Regards,  AP.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:28:45 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 07:11:01 PM »
Faberge Buddha statues damaged in museum, one formerly in the collection of Aristotle Onassis:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/priceless-buddha-that-sailed-with-onassis-is-broken-in-museum-case-2306989.html

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
  Re Reply # 63:  What a horror to be dreaded by every collector who displays their collection/s !  I continually examine my cases (with mostly Russian Imperial and other early ceramics), yet things DO happen.  I once had an English dessert dish crack badly, IMO, because of the internal stress caused by the interior lighting of the case and the apparent clash of the room's air-conditioning. There was no vibration or friction from any near item, but although the pieces of the dish did not separate, the crack totally ruined the piece. No other items were affected.
   Over-loading a glass shelf can obviously cause a shelf to collapse upon another.  If memory serves me correctly, the Duchess of Windsor lost more than several examples of English royal 18th century wine glasses in such an instance.
   However, it would seem that in this case, over-loading (beyond the tensile strength of the glass shelf) and improper temperature contrasts were NOT the apparent fault at first glance.  There was probably a hidden flaw within the glass that caused it to shatter, OR alternatively, a support/s of the shelf failed.
   Regardless, the "Buddha" with the articulated hands, head and tounge (the style sometimes referred to as a "nodder") is a very well-known Faberge/Michael Perchin piece. It is shown in A. Kenneth Snowman's, "The Art of Carl Faberge" 2nd Ediition, as #277, facing page 65, and described as "Jadite  'Magot' with gold cuffs, and belt enamelled opalescent white, the latter studded with rubies and rose diamonds. Ruby and rose diamond eyes and a carved ruby tounge.  The head and hands are so balanced that the slightest movement sets them in motion.  Height: 12 inches.  Signed: M. П."
    I can see how the figure described above could suffer damage because of/to the free-floating parts, but for the potentially non-articulated( ? --the article DOES say that the head became "unhinged") second piece to be broken as it is, it must have sustained/absorbed a rather sharp blow, as jadite ranks rather high on the scale of hardness.  Perhaps the head was hinged to act as a sort of container cover.  I am just not familiar with this second piece.     AP.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:50:47 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2011, 03:18:35 AM »
With the yearly summer opening of Buckingham Palace, this year the following exhibition will be opened:
Royal Fabergé, from 23 July to 3 October 2011

For more information and some of the pieces exhibited:
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/royalfaberge/MicroSection.asp?themeid=2026

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »
Hi Luc,

Thank you for this information.
The Faberge exhibition looks like it will be fabulous.
The pictures are marvellous;  and dare I say that overused word these days - AWESOME!!

Larry

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2011, 12:11:22 PM »
This is the same collection mounted at the Queen's Gallery in 2003 It is truly wonderful.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »

Aloha all!

I couldn't be more thrilled - on my return portion from Paris this September - we are spending a day and night in London. 

I have to really pare things down and prioritize, so Buckingham Palace was at the forefront of my "must see" things - I accordingly purchased the "Royal Day Out" tickets and low and behold....not only
is the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding gown, shoes, and earrings on display - but this wonderful Faberge exhibit!!! 
 ;D ;D
Having never seen a piece of Faberge "in person" before and having the extreme good luck to be in London on a day when I can see this.......I am very much "over the moon" indeed!!!!

Can't wait.....it is pretty overwhelming for this royalty buff!
 :) :-*
Malama Pono (take care),
Janet R.
Janet R.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
The wedding gowns are normally displayed  at Kensington Palace. Do you know if this is the case with Cambridge ?
 The Faberge exhibit [at Queen's Gallery, I presume] is a wonderful experience as well.
 I will not be back to London untilNovember,  but there will still be plenty to see.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2011, 05:34:25 PM »
Here is an updated description of the upcoming exhibition "Faberge Revealed" at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. There is to be an exhibition catalog published as well.

http://wotbn.net/vmfa-to-host-argest-collection-of-faberge-in-the-u-s/

I just saw this exhibition and bought the catalogue as well. The exhibit was fabulous (I'll try to get photos up soon) but the catalogue (by Geza von Habsburg) was a disappointment. It was basically the exhibit catalogue of their permanent Faberge pieces--there was no information (or photos), for example, on the 5 loaned Faberge eggs. Since professional photos are always preferred, and there were no postcards of the pieces either, this was a disappointment. I'll have to rely on the photos (with no flash) that I took in the exhibit itself. Still, I was thrilled to get up there--next weekend is the last--and see the pieces they had.

There were also at least 5 mistakes in the exhibit (repeated in the book) on identification. I'm going to gather my photos and e-mail them about it. They were pretty obvious so I'm surprised no one has corrected them (as they were part of the permanent exhibit not the temporary).
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Nicolay

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2012, 07:00:11 AM »
If you admire Faberge, you need also to honor the artists behind the work!

Here are some of them!
http://books.google.de/books?id=XOI4AQAAIAAJ&q=Salkaln&dq=Salkaln&hl=en&ei=GmUwTvXTAcek8QOutaG1AQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y

Grunbergs, Gruenberg-Grünberg
Bio: for Gruenberg/Grunberg from his family privately owned Estate "Gruenberg" later changed his name to
"Grunberg-Salkaln""" """Grünberg-Sahlkaln" Salkaln-Zaļkalns!

Zaļkalns, Teodors Eduardovich

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Zalkalns,+Teodors

!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:08:18 AM by Nicolay »

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2012, 06:04:58 AM »
The "Google Home Page Doodle of the Day" (May 30, 2012) honors "Peter Carl Faberge's 166th Birthday" (New Style).   AP
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:08:13 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2012, 09:47:25 AM »
The "Google Home Page Doodle of the Day" (May 30, 2012) honors "Peter Carl Faberge's 166th Birthday" (New Style).   AP

For those who may have missed seeing the Google doodle, here is an English translation of a Russian article from RIA-Novosti on the occasion.
http://02varvara.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/google-logo-celebrates-birthday-of-the-russian-jeweller-faberge/

(A link to the original Russian text is at the bottom.)

And an Elkin cartoon too:
http://en.rian.ru/cartoons/20120530/173753583.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:49:41 AM by Inok Nikolai »
инок Николай

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
Just wanted to mention that I'm going to see an exhibit of about 200 Faberge items at the Detroit Institute of Arts this coming Sunday. I'm so excited! They are going to have the Tsarevitch egg there, one of SIX eggs! The items are on loan from a museum in Virginia. I will be sure to relate my experience on here...I wish photographs were allowed, but they are not. Understandable, of course.
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck