Author Topic: The Battenbergs - discussion, pictures  (Read 166192 times)

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
  • http://booboogbs.deviantart.com My Colored Pics!
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
Re: The Battenbergs - discussion, pictures
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2004, 12:55:39 PM »

Victoria holding Louise, Louis, & Alice 1891
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Angie_H »

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2004, 12:57:05 PM »

Victoria 1884

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2004, 01:01:41 PM »

Ella, Victoria & Irene
Don't they look adorable?!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2004, 01:05:46 PM »
Oh yes that book has been popping up in conversation alot as of late. Every time I hear about it someone is saying how great it is, so I really need to get it and will eventually be doing so. The pic I posted is also from one of Hough's books, "Advice to My Grand-daughter".

The last 3 photos as well as the painting of Victoria and Alice on the Painting of Princess Alice thread are all from this fabulous book as well in case that tips the scales at all. I hadn't seen an image so large of VMH's wedding before--does anyone know anything about the necklace she's wearing?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2004, 01:59:38 PM »
Hmm, that necklace.  It is a bit hard to tell what it is.  I wonder if there is a list of her wedding gifts anywhere - the necklace might have been amongst them.  I have a suspicion that she is wearing a tiara in front of the flowers in her hair as well - perhaps it is a suite of jewellery.
We know that Victoria had some important formal diamond jewellery (including at least one tiara) as it was left behind in Russia with Alix at the outbreak of war; perhaps these pieces were amongst that collection of jewels?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2004, 02:24:07 PM »
Ella, Victoria & Irene
Don't they look adorable?!

Angie, thank you for posting that picture! It is absolutely lovely. I love seeing pictures of the Hesses as children! So, to get this clear, is that picture from the book Victoria and Louis: The First Mountbattens?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »

(Louis was in love with Marie and kept a picture of her by his bed til he died. If the Revolution had not happened they wouldn't have been able to marry anyway right? )

I think love is a poor choice of words considering the ages of the two cousins.  Louis may have had a crush on his cousin, but I doubt love comes into it ... he was only 14 when World War I broke out,  Marie a year older.  He was 18 when it came to an end, and Marie was dead.    The story of being in love and wanting to marry was always way over the top,
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 08:29:59 PM »
Does anyone have pictures of Princess Victoria Eugenia of Battenburg a.k.a. Queen Ena of Spain as a newborn infant small enough for someone to hold in their hands.
I found a picture of her on www.corbis.com as a toddler with her two brothers but that was all!

Offline PrinceEddy1864

• Knyaz
  • lovely louise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2005, 12:24:55 PM »
There are several books about him with just the title "Mountbatten" or something along those lines. I do not have this one though, but I have now put it on my list of books to get. For some reason the filter is no longer turning Louis nickname, dare I use it, Dickie, into thingyie anymore.
from the top of the ocean to the bottom of the sky.
albert victor christian edward.

Offline Sarah1872

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2005, 12:52:36 PM »
There are several books about him with just the title "Mountbatten" or something along those lines. I do not have this one though, but I have now put it on my list of books to get. For some reason the filter is no longer turning Louis nickname, dare I use it, Dickie, into thingyie anymore.

Yes, I noticed that too ! When I posted, on of my post, I saw that it did not change the word 'Dickie' !  :D

Offline Sarah1872

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2005, 12:55:10 PM »
Eddie, I forgot to say that the author of this book is Philip Ziegler. It was published around 20 years ago - I think. I found a copy in a second hand book shop (my little 'treasure troves'  ;) ) I hope this helps !  ;)

Offline PrinceEddy1864

• Knyaz
  • lovely louise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2005, 01:18:02 PM »
Wait I have seen that book, but neglected to purchase it several times, from my own area used book store. I looked through it though and certainly looked at the pictures, so I must have seen them before and just didnt remeber. I do want to purchase the book though. Doesnt it have a photo of a middle ages Lord Mountbatten on the deck of a ship on its cover.
By the way Philip Ziegler also wrote a wonderful, at least I think it is, bio on David.
from the top of the ocean to the bottom of the sky.
albert victor christian edward.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2005, 03:20:44 PM »
Second what book did they all come from? Also the one of the Battenberg kids is great. Photos that have all four of them at this age are rare. After Alice's marriage she obviously wasnt there as much..

I think the one of the 4 Battenbergs can be found in Hugo Vicker's bio on Alice but I'll have to check. I'd never seen the one of Dickie & Bertie--he's usually seen more with David as you said.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2005, 03:22:41 PM »
Martyn, I would say George almost bordered on unattractive though. He did look a bit odd and certainly did not get the looks his little brother got, (And what looks Louis got huh.) George looked a lot like his mother and while Victoria was pretty she did have a bit of an odd look to her. This is just one man (or woman's) opinion though.

He certainly had a bonier face (like Louise really) rather than the stronger Battenberg one. I always thought he was a bit of a throwback to Alice with the deep eyes and the rather melancholy expression.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2005, 04:53:21 PM »

He certainly had a bonier face (like Louise really) rather than the stronger Battenberg one. I always thought he was a bit of a throwback to Alice with the deep eyes and the rather melancholy expression.

Maybe that's what appeals to me.  George always looks slightly inscrutable and he does remind me of Alice in looks, you're quite right GDElla.  I love Louise's looks, they are so unusual, not pretty but characterful - she reminds me of one of my favourite aunts, long since passed away.
I have never really been a fan of Dickie (it was me that had a hissy fit because the filter kept putting Thingyie every time I wrote Dickens in another thread - the FA kindly altered it as I threatened to weep with irritation) or his looks.  Much prefer George and Louise; both it would seem had very active minds.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV