Author Topic: The Battenbergs - discussion, pictures  (Read 166193 times)

Offline PrinceEddy1864

• Knyaz
  • lovely louise.
    • View Profile
Re: The Battenbergs - discussion, pictures
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2005, 06:35:06 PM »
That is a different cover than the one I am talking about, but I am pretty sure it is the same book. It looks like you got a first addition or somthing. I have seen Vicker's bio of Alice and I didnt remember that pic being in there, but it may be. Yes ella George and Louise, who I think both favored one another, do remind me a bit of their grandmother Alice. VMH's daughter Alice looked so much like her father and Dickie was a mix of both parents I guess.
from the top of the ocean to the bottom of the sky.
albert victor christian edward.

Offline Sarah1872

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2005, 10:11:44 AM »
Lovely picture.  I wonder how interested she was really?  Maybe he was asking her what she fancied for tea?  Or whether if, when she grew up she would like to marry an dispossessed, impoverished Greek prince, to whom he happened to be related, so that he could realise his dream of having the Royal House of England renamed Mountbatten?
Just a thought......

Hello Martyn ! The photo of Dickie and Elizabeth is from an album published (at the time) of George VI's and Queen Elizabeth coronation  ;) I has lots of formal and informal photographs, and this was pne of them. Such a lovely photograph ! Also, it had some of the Kents (George and Marina-- partly why I got it  :D ) The pictures I posted, it had this caption in the book "This charming picture was taken on the bridge of the Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert, shows Dickie and Princess Elizabeth. Dickie is explaining to Elizabeth the finer points of naval technigue and tradition to much interested young Elizabeth ! " -- but hey, Martyn you never know ! They could have been taling about young Elizabeth when she grows up !  ;)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2005, 10:36:09 AM »
Oh absolutely.  I can hear his soft whispers now 'And you will fancy my nephew.  And you will marry him.  And you will make him Prince Consort...'
Well, two out three ain't bad!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Martyn »
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Sarah1872

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2005, 12:01:28 PM »
Oh absolutely.  I can hear his soft whispers now 'And you will fancy my nephew.  And you will marry him.  And you will make him Prince Consort...'
Well, two out three ain't bad!

*giggles* Yes !   ;)  :D  ;D

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2005, 12:05:37 PM »
The wily old Battenberg!

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Sarah1872

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2005, 12:10:33 PM »
"The wily old Battenberg! " -- *giggles again !*  ;)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2005, 06:38:29 AM »
Don't encourage me...

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2005, 12:53:38 PM »
Oh, that Dickie, I mean thingy... ;D.

She liked him lots, though from all I can gather.  He was so cute, just like a viking.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2005, 12:58:52 PM »
Oh, that Dickie, I mean thingy... ;D.

She liked him lots, though from all I can gather.  He was so cute, just like a viking.

Yes, Ilana, I'm not sure that 'thingie' wasn't appropriate for him.  However, apparently Dickie didn't have to do too much suggesting as Philip's physical charms seemed to work their magic on the impressionable princess.
Sad that no trace of those charms or even much charm remains to be seen these days................

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2005, 01:06:43 PM »
Lovely picture.  I wonder how interested she was really?  Maybe he was asking her what she fancied for tea?  Or whether if, when she grew up she would like to marry a dispossessed, impoverished Greek prince, to whom he happened to be related, so that he could realise his dream of having the Royal House of England renamed Mountbatten?
Just a thought......

Contrary to what many of have written,  Lord M had very little to do with Philip  as Philip's guardian was his older brother, George, who died in 1938.  George Milford Haven was the one responsible for Philip's education.  Far too much emphasis has been placed on Louis wanting Philip to marry Lilibet.  Philip may have been a Greek prince by birth but in essence he was very much a Brit.  He spent much of his time with his grandmother at Kensington Palace,  after leaving Salem, he attended school in Scotland.  

I think too much credit is given to Mountbatten in the early years.  Look at it from other angles.  Philip's first cousin, Marina, was married to the duke of Kent.   George Milford Haven was married to Countess Nada Torby whose sister, Zia and her husband Sir Harold Wernher Bt, moved in royal horse circles - Zia's two daughters Georgina and Myra were close friends of the then Pss Elizabeth (Childhood playmates).  Their brother, Alex (killed in the second WWII) was a friend of Philip- so Philip already moved in the same circles as Elizabeth.  As early as 1941, Chips Channon singled him out as the future consort.   Moreover, Lord Mountbatten's two daughters, Patricia and Pamela, were also childhood friends of the queen - and they are Philip's first cousins.   Philip was hardly a stranger
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2005, 04:25:21 PM »

Contrary to what many of have written,  Lord M had very little to do with Philip  as Philip's guardian was his older brother, George, who died in 1938.  George Milford Haven was the one responsible for Philip's education.  Far too much emphasis has been placed on Louis wanting Philip to marry Lilibet.  Philip may have been a Greek prince by birth but in essence he was very much a Brit.  He spent much of his time with his grandmother at Kensington Palace,  after leaving Salem, he attended school in Scotland.  

I think too much credit is given to Mountbatten in the early years.  Look at it from other angles.  Philip's first cousin, Marina, was married to the duke of Kent.   George Milford Haven was married to Countess Nada Torby whose sister, Zia and her husband Sir Harold Wernher Bt, moved in royal horse circles - Zia's two daughters Georgina and Myra were close friends of the then Pss Elizabeth (Childhood playmates).  Their brother, Alex (killed in the second WWII) was a friend of Philip- so Philip already moved in the same circles as Elizabeth.  As early as 1941, Chips Channon singled him out as the future consort.   Moreover, Lord Mountbatten's two daughters, Patricia and Pamela, were also childhood friends of the queen - and they are Philip's first cousins.   Philip was hardly a stranger

Did I say that he was a stranger?  And actually Marleen, I am not really interested in a serious critique of this subject........
Thank you for your opinions nonetheless, I am sure that they will be welcomed in some quarter.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2005, 04:28:12 PM »
Contrary to what many of have written,  Lord M had very little to do with Philip  as Philip's guardian was his older brother, George, who died in 1938.  George Milford Haven was the one responsible for Philip's education.  Far too much emphasis has been placed on Louis wanting Philip to marry Lilibet.  Philip may have been a Greek prince by birth but in essence he was very much a Brit.  He spent much of his time with his grandmother at Kensington Palace,  after leaving Salem, he attended school in Scotland.  I think too much credit is given to Mountbatten in the early years.  

I think we went into this on another thread--one on George himself maybe? My memory's going. We discussed there just what you've said--how George has unfairly faded from memory and what a huge influence he had on Philip.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2005, 04:41:38 PM »

I think we went into this on another thread--one on George himself maybe? My memory's going. We discussed there just what you've said--how George has unfairly faded from memory and what a huge influence he had on Philip.

We have discussed this.  At some length. Can't remember which one though.....

Offline Sarah1872

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2005, 02:38:07 PM »
Don't encourage me...

Okay, Martyn. I shall try my very best not too  ;)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2005, 04:06:10 PM »

Okay, Martyn. I shall try my very best not too  ;)

I don't really mind....A bit of humour does one good sometimes.  It doesn't pay to be too serious all the time!