Author Topic: The Yusupovs and the Romanovs' relationship  (Read 54621 times)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: The Yusupovs and the Romanovs' relationship
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2006, 09:02:40 AM »
The reasons why Prince Felix did not participate in World War I are indeed what the poster above said. He was not naturally the soldier type, and he got by as long as he could without a concession to appearances. I guess he was lucky after his brother's death in that duel, that left him the only son. He could not have managed to a be very competent soldier had he been forced to be one. It wasn't his thing.

Alexandra was indeed hated by the aristocracy, and they had a very bad conception of her. She never put out herself out there and particpated in society as the Dowager Empress had done so well, and continued to do. Alexandra did not realize the level of alienation that she was causing. Of course, the aristocracy could have been more understanding, but that wasn't their nature. They took rumour as truth, and thought they were more sophisticated than Alexandra.

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2006, 03:53:52 PM »
As far as I can remember what Felix Felixovitch tells in the 2 volumes of his memoirs ( which I red a long time ago ) about Alexandra Feodorovna, it always sounds negative, unfair, I dare say badly mannered for someone reputadly belonging to the highest russian aristocracy.
 For example, if once again I remember well and from memory " the Empress had inherited this appalling taste for cheap british middle class pieces of furnitures " or " Contrarily to her wonderful sister Ella, the Empress never understood the genuine meaning of our Orthodox faith and She thought of herself as a deeply religious person whereas to speak the truth She was unable to go or think further than to the very surface of Orthodoxy "  etc...
Why does not Felix say OUR EMPRESS first of all ? Who does he think he is to judge someone else 's tastes ? Is his own taste for everything lavishly gilded or decorated a genuine example of BON GOUT or CLASSE ( meaning here touch of class ) ?

IMO the Romanov / Youssoupoff relationship must have become icy as soon as Felix decided NOT to take part in whatever way in WWI whereas most of the other Grand Dukes, Princes or members of high russian aristocracy were involved in the army, fights etc...This must have been  judged in these days as a total lack of patriotism. Same thing for Felix non involvement in the White Army later on to defend the Tsar or the utmost political principle of Tsarism.

Does anyone know why Felix refused to be involved in fighting for his Motherland, his Emperor and his political ideology in both cases ?

In my own personal opinion, I think that today we know a lot more of the personal thoughts and motivations of Alexandra, but we did not have a chance to deal with her (for obvious reasons). On the other hand, the aristocracy of that time, who (I do not want to use the word "hate") " dislike" her, had a chance to know and deal with her. We must not forget that they had (besides rumors and gosips) first hand impressions (at least from  the people who actually knew her) and they dislike her anyway. (I am not saying EVERYBODY dislike her  and  I am not taking sides with either band, but somehow I get the impression that dealing with the empress must not have been an easy task.. and left people with a bad aftertaste, Otherwise, Russian aristocracy would have felt  differently from what they felt.  Lets face it, maybe she was not  ready for the role life set her to play... and never learn to play either... Now, going back to the subject, we must remember that everything Felix wrote was done after the destruction of the Old Russia and he shared the feelings of the surviving aristocracy (plus his own exagerations on the subject), so I would not pay much attention to his Memoirs. On the same hand, Zenaide, as same as her father, was a prominent menber of the "OLD Court"  which meant she was a firend of the Dowager Empress (another point why the Romanov / Yussupov might have been kind of cold)..

Arturo Vega Llausás
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2006, 11:54:15 AM »
It was hard to deal with Alexandra if you were the Russian aristocracy; she was never much of a public person,and she made her disdain for them and they way they conducted themselves rather apparent. She, in personality and lifestyle, lived a life far removed from that of the aristocracy. They also only had rumours of her to go on, often enough, and they used these in not so great ways. She of course, did not give them that many first hand impressions. She did not think she needed to. But she was a great person to know in more private settings. As for Felix, undoubtedly his opinions were of that of his generation and class in regards to her. They may have been personal, but they were influenced by those two things.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2007, 09:23:03 AM »
Here's one originally posted by Georgiy(sp?). It's of Felix and Maria and Anastasia Nicholaievna.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/clockworkgirl21/Maria%20and%20Anastasia/?action=view&current=picture_010.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch5

Thanks! So we do know that Felix saw Anastasia and knew her well enough to know that AA wasn't her when he met her. It is disappointing there don't seem to be any pictures of them posed with the IF. Why?

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2007, 10:11:16 AM »
Here's one originally posted by Georgiy(sp?). It's of Felix and Maria and Anastasia Nicholaievna.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/clockworkgirl21/Maria%20and%20Anastasia/?action=view&current=picture_010.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch5

Thanks! So we do know that Felix saw Anastasia and knew her well enough to know that AA wasn't her when he met her. It is disappointing there don't seem to be any pictures of them posed with the IF. Why?

No I do not think Felix new Anastasia good enough like Olga Alexandrovna, Xenia or Irina Yussupov did.

Here is a picture I have of Anastasia and Irena.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »
I don't think he knew her well, but since he had an eye for detail (you can tell this by reading his descriptions in his book) he could tell AA wasn't Anastasia (especially since she could not speak to him in Russian, English or French even though he tried) Irina never met AA but Felix did. He probably got to know Anastasia a lot better after marrying Irina, since she was OTMA's first cousin. But I don't want to drag all that AA mess over here, sorry! BTW by Xenia you mean the Tsar's sister, right?

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2007, 06:58:05 PM »
I don't think he knew her well, but since he had an eye for detail (you can tell this by reading his descriptions in his book) he could tell AA wasn't Anastasia (especially since she could not speak to him in Russian, English or French even though he tried) Irina never met AA but Felix did. He probably got to know Anastasia a lot better after marrying Irina, since she was OTMA's first cousin. But I don't want to drag all that AA mess over here, sorry! BTW by Xenia you mean the Tsar's sister, right?
Yes I am talking about Xenia the tsar's Nicholas sister.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »
There are at least two pictures of Zenaida Yussupov with Grand Duchess Ella and a few with Grand Duke Serge. One picture was recently posted with Zenaida, Bebe, GD Xenia and Irina. I'm sure there are more pic's hidden somewhere.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2007, 01:35:56 PM »

Zenaida, Xenia, Bebe and Irina. Pic posted by Svetabel in the Zenaida thread.

Zenaida and Grand Duke Serge

Zenaida and Ella

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:27:22 PM by Svetabel »

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2007, 10:16:36 AM »
Great shot of her and Ella! Thanks!

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2011, 11:23:27 PM »
Dowager Empress Maria & Prince Felix Sr.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2011, 12:12:42 AM »

Felix Sr, Grand Duke Sergei and Grand Duchess Elizabeth with group

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2011, 12:15:56 AM »

Princess Zenaida Yusupova and Nicholas II

Offline burger queen

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »
To answer the original question : the relationships, here are some clues...

In Olga's letter to her father, 5 march 1915 :

Оттуда заехала к Ирине за Татьяной. Она и тетя Ксения сидели у нее в гостях, а Феликс, "сущий штатский", одет во все коричневое, ходил по комнате, рылся в разных шкафах с журналами и в сущности ничего не делал; весьма неприятное впечатление производит, мужчина в такое время лодырничает.

I'm french so me and Google translation will try to do our best for translation :) :
"From there, I went to Irina to meet Tatiana. She and aunt Xenia were invited and Felix, " a real civilian", dressed in brown, walked around the room, rummaging through racks of various magazines and in fact did not do anything, very unpleasant impression, a lazy man in these difficult times."

Tatiana's letter to father, 9 march :
Странно подумать, что у Ирины дочь родилась, скучно, что ее назвали тоже Ирина - правда?
It is strange to think that Irina has a daughter, boring that it was named Irina, right?

Olga's letter, 21 june :
Ирина и Феликс пили у нас вчера чай. Они говорили, что Андрюша ходит пажом со шпорами - и весьма конфузился первое время. А сегодня у нас будет Костя. Он уезжает на днях в полк.
Irina and Felix drank tea with us yesterday. They said that Andriusha goes pazhom with spurs - and he was very embarrassed at first. And today we will have Kostya. He goes on these days in the regiment.

From Maria's diary, 14 august 1916 :
Пили чай 4 с Мамой, Ириной и Феликсом [Юсуповым].
At 4, we drank tea with Mama, Irina and Felix [Yusupov].

After reading these extracts, I feel very strange when I watch this video and listen in french Irina and Felix; there's something so contemporary, so close and so far in the same time ... :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Xdv-Yv0m8&feature=related
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:53:34 PM by burger queen »

Offline LauraO

• Boyar
  • You cannot imagine the half of my suffering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2011, 12:40:12 PM »
Anyone know what the other three sisters, Tatiana, Marie and Anastaisa thought of Felix? I've read the quote from Olga about him being a "real civilian" before, but does anyone know what tma thought , first impressions of him etc, and the same for Alix and Nicholas? what did they first think initially?