Author Topic: The descendants of Infante Francisco de Paula of Spain  (Read 21346 times)

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: The descendants of Infante Francisco de Paula of Spain
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Are there any pics of Gurowski ?

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
Sorry, I don´t have any picture of Ignaz. I´ve seen pictures of José Güell, Pepita´s husband, but not of Belita´s polish count.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »
Did she had any decendents ?

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 12:45:09 PM »
Did she had any decendents ?

Belita?
As far as I remember, her daughter María Luisa married Vicente Bertran de Lis. This couple had at least two sons (Vicente, later marquis of Bondad Real, and Ignacio) and also three daughters (Luísa, Juana and Margarita, named Margot). Actually, Vicente marquis of Bondad Real has a great number of descendants.

A great surprise to me was when I discover two between the three daughters of María Luisa -Juana and Margot- were ladies in waiting for their cousin infanta Isabel "La Chata".

Offline Veronica

• Graf
  • Et Si Omnes Ego Non
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 12:47:16 PM »
I've found this on "diario el mundo", a Spanish newspaper on line, about Infanta Josefa:

"One autumn morning in 1847,Doña Pepita craved for pastries, so she went in a carriage to Lhardy, the popular pastry shop in Madrid, to buy chocolates filled with liquor, its specialty. On the street, the carriage went too fast. Suddenly, the scaffolding of a house under construction relented, causing the horses of the real carriage to gallop free, scared and without control. The Infanta, frightened, requested help, and a man jumped, alone, struggling with the horses to stop them.  Walkers would whirl around the carriage, cheering at the young man, who not only kissed her right hand, boldly, but  retained it for a moment between his.
Thus was the beginning of the Infanta Pepita ordeal.  First, the Infanta tried to take off her savior of the head, then did penance. Then she entrusted to an unconditional maid, who was the darling of a police officer: "I want to reward Mr courageous for his bravery. Find out who he is, where he lives and what he does for a living". "  The maid did wath she was asked.

On the third day came the report: José Güell and Renté was born in Havana in 1818. Of descent catalana, served as a journalist and poet in El heraldo, El Clamor publico  and other unconformist little newspapers of Madrid. He lived in a small study in the streets of Toledo and in the neighborhood had a reputation of ladies conqueror. . Pepita, a victim of her passion, as a child succumbed to the charms of the Cuban, who, "realizing that the feelings of Her Highness were serious, and that fortune had entered his house, only thought of opening the door for it, then firmly closing it so fortune wouldn't escape", testified someone at that time.

When Doña Pepita asked the Queen for a license to marry the poet of revolutionary thoughts, Isabel II got shocked. "Lock him away for a season", she said, "and you get away from the court immediately. You get secluded  in the palace of Valladolid in the company of your father until your obsession goes away. "

Loves like that are the most difficult to fight. In June 1848 the couple, who had been exchanging letters in secret, decided to escape, which at that time was the height of romanticism. The elopement was in fact really strange, because the bride was accompanied by her father, the Infante Don Francisco de Paula; the only thing he wanted was to be free of headaches and return to the capital.  Father and daughter left for a walk, they said to his bodyguard.  At a bend of the road the cuban was waiting with a priest and two witnesses.  "All employees of surveillance have been avoided,"  the desolate police chief wrote to Madrid, after the event.

Isabel  II exonerated her cousin of her titles and honors.  Pepita went from Infanta to Mrs. Guell in a blink of an eye. The escapees took refuge in France and had two kids. Isabel II, all heart, forgave her when she learned that the Cuban kept Pepita appart and had affairs with women of all kinds of life, from aristocrats to commoners, eager to be with the man who had dazzled an Infanta. Pepita was reinstated in 1855 to her status as Highness and her sons created Marquess of Valcarlos, the oldest, and the Marquis de Güell the youngest.  Guell, for his part, arrived at the office of Senator of the Kingdom, because not in vain he was a relative of the Queen.  But the fiery idyll of Pepita with his Pepe was never able to resume , killed by disenchantment and his voluble condition of ladies man."

Forgive for any mistake in the translation that you find... I tried my best in it.

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »
I think the translation is very good, Veronica. I didn´t dare to make a translation, but you´ve done it perfectly ;)

Offline tecklenburg

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 01:52:06 PM »
Wonderful Veronica
Now, thanks to you, we know the entire story of Pepita

these siblings (infante Francisco's children ) weren't quiet at all ! Every one, Bellita, Francisco, Enrique, Pepita got their parts of trouble in their lives. Maybe Cristina & Amelia were finally  the "calmest" ones... Was it due to their parents? to their upbringing?
Maybe Cristina & Amelia were finally  the "calmest" ones...
Before the sisters married, had they suitors of royal blood ?
What about Enrique?
Maybe their brother king had some plans for them...

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 02:03:18 PM »
Enrique had a troubled life too...He married for love a beautiful lady, Elena of Castellví; a morganatic marriage. When Elena was dead too young he felt devastated.
He was the mortal enemy of Antoine duke of Montpensier. The two fought in a duel...and Enrique was dead.

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 12:00:47 PM »
[
Belita?
As far as I remember, her daughter María Luisa married Vicente Bertran de Lis. This couple had at least two sons (Vicente, later marquis of Bondad Real, and Ignacio) and also three daughters (Luísa, Juana and Margarita, named Margot). Actually, Vicente marquis of Bondad Real has a great number of descendants.

What a fine title:
Marquis de la Bondade Real, means Marquis of the Royal Kindness :-)
What would Vicente have done to deserve that royal kindness.
Titles sometimes can be tricky.

Two anedoctes related to the portuguese royal titles:

There is the family of the Counts of Monte Real, a title created by King D.carlos in favour of Artur de Mello e Faro
http://www.geneall.net/P/tit_page.php?id=823

Althought there is a village named Monte Real, the story goes that Artur de Mello e Faro was helping the King to mount on his horse and might have said: "Monte, Real Senhor". "Mount, Royal Sire"
And the King granted him the title of "Monte Real" :-)

The other story is a bit more spicy.
When Infante D.Luis Felipe visited the colonies, namely the island of St.Thomas and Prince, several cocoa plantation owners were granted the titles of their plantations, f.i. barons of Água Izé, Nova Esperança (New Hope) or Rio do Ouro (River of Gold).

One of them could not get a title. The man was a womanizer and his plantation was named Fazenda da Boa Entrada.
It was considered not proper to make him the Baron of the ... Good Entry ;-)

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 12:06:05 PM »
One of them could not get a title. The man was a womanizer and his plantation was named Fazenda da Boa Entrada.
It was considered not proper to make him the Baron of the ... Good Entry ;-)

Barón da Fazenda da Boa Entrada...It sounds very nice, jajaja, more than Baron of the Good Entry. But I like so so much your portuguese sense of humour ;)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »
Two of Isabel II's sisters-in-laws did have happy lives...Pepita & Belitia.

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »
In fact they both led difficult, sad lives. Belita was abandoned by her husband, and Pepita also had a share of that, after having become obsessed with her unfaithful husband. In her last years she lived in Paris, where she indulged in dubious relationships with young men who took away much of her money.
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »
You mean Pepita or Belita was conned by young men ? I often surprised why Belita did not go back to Spain...nearly all her daughters went back ?

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 07:32:13 AM »

That's it, Pepita was conned by younger men.
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »
Are they well known...I guess Isabel II was sympathetic since she had quite a few lovers herself.