Author Topic: Which Study  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
Which Study
« on: May 16, 2008, 07:51:20 AM »
Hi,

I am sorry of this has been posted before. I did a search and cold not see answer to this but is this exists I am sorry for duplication.

There are two studies for Nicholas II in the Imperial wing. The working study and the new study. Which one did Nicholas normally use? I assume the New Study as this is larger and held council of minister meetings. But why where there two in the first place (different times of construction?) or did the Tsar use both at the same time but for different reasons?

On a side note do we know the decoration of the main corridor in the imperial wing and what art was hung on those walls?

Many thanks,

Michael HR
Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Which Study
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:23:28 AM »
I don't recall ever seeing a vintage photo of the AP corridors, but these modern shots may give you a sense of them:

THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:33:52 AM »
Nicholas used his Working Study, it is said he didn't like the New Study and its true he hated Style Moderne - Jugendstil.  You can see the hand of his brother-in-law the Grand Duke and Meltzer here.  Nicholas went along with it.  It was too big and modern for him.  Imagine his size and how small he would have appeared in its vastness.  However, his office was too small for large meetings and there was no where to put maps, charts, diagrams, etc - these were especially important during the war.  The pool table was used frequently...

When the Music Room was demolished artificial marble from the walls and pilasters was installed in the corridor by order of the Tsar.  There were many paings - I have a list.  It was always dark.  Guards were posted here at night.  The elevator was there....

Let us hope all of this is recreated someday.

Bob

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:34:38 PM »
Many thanks for the photos. It indeed helped

Michael

I don't recall ever seeing a vintage photo of the AP corridors, but these modern shots may give you a sense of them:

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:37:17 PM »
Dear Bob,

Many thanks for the information. I agree he would have felt lost in this study. I am more the size of Alexander III and I would feel lost in this room. The working study is much nicer even if a little old fashioned even by that time.

Michael

Nicholas used his Working Study, it is said he didn't like the New Study and its true he hated Style Moderne - Jugendstil.  You can see the hand of his brother-in-law the Grand Duke and Meltzer here.  Nicholas went along with it.  It was too big and modern for him.  Imagine his size and how small he would have appeared in its vastness.  However, his office was too small for large meetings and there was no where to put maps, charts, diagrams, etc - these were especially important during the war.  The pool table was used frequently...

When the Music Room was demolished artificial marble from the walls and pilasters was installed in the corridor by order of the Tsar.  There were many paings - I have a list.  It was always dark.  Guards were posted here at night.  The elevator was there....

Let us hope all of this is recreated someday.

Bob

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »
I agree he would have felt lost in this study.

I have been to the New Study in person and didn't think it was that huge. It does have a loft, but its size is just the size of perhaps a large living room. And it looks fairly comfortable and homey. It's much more spacious and airy than the working study, which is sort of tiny and dark and claustraphobic with all its dark panelling... But of course it's a matter of preference and Nicholas may have preferred it that way...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 01:49:54 PM by Helen_A »

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 02:39:29 PM »
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I am planning a visit in the next year or so as well so hope to see the study for real along wit the other main rooms.

I was also thinking that after the abdication and return to Tsarkoe the Tsar spent the day in his study with one of his daughters ( as the Tsar and Tsarina were asked to stay apart in the day), I think it was Olga. Due to the restricted space perhaps he used the New Study instead as this was larger. Others would know this.

Michael

I agree he would have felt lost in this study.

I have been to the New Study in person and didn't think it was that huge. It does have a loft, but its size is just the size of perhaps a large living room. And it looks fairly comfortable and homey. It's much more spacious and airy than the working study, which is sort of tiny and dark and claustraphobic with all its dark panelling... But of course it's a matter of preference and Nicholas may have preferred it that way...