Author Topic: How do people respond to your Romanov "fanaticness?"  (Read 35997 times)

Offline Marie-Catherine

• Boyar
  • Just remember they were normal people, like us.
    • View Profile
    • My travel blog (French only)
Re: How do people respond to your Romanov "fanaticness?"
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
My entourage thinks Germany is a beautiful country, but most find the German language ugly.

I don't really talk of the Romanov Family with my friends, because they are my age (and most of people aged sixteen are  not interested by History), and I think if they know how much I loved them, they will think I'm crazy. And I don't like when someone judges one of my hobbies with no respect.
And when someone discovers that I like the Romanovs, this someone asks why and I don't know what to answer because there's no reason, I like them, that's all.
I only told one friend about them and she thinks it was weird and it seems that she thought it was not interesting at all.

My little sister saw few times searches I do about them. And she got upset by that. She always says "The Romanovs are dead. What is so interesting about them ?".
She thinks that's stupid.

I think that when we're sixteen, like both of us, people around us just don't get it. I can't count how many times people asked me why I'm interessed into dead people who live 100 years ago.

Most of my friends thinks it's a bad passion, but one of my friends, who's really into history, debate with me, because he thinks that Nicolas II was a mean person, with the Bloody Sunday and all. At the begging, when I started to get interessed into the Romanov, I talked about it ALL the time, so.. everybody know that I like them, and it's sad because most of them judge that passion without respect.

"Time flies by with a horrible quickness" -Maria

Thanks to the talentful FadedDreams for the banner !

Offline Proud_Olga

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 04:50:10 AM »
How lucky you are to have found a friend who is interested in History!(even if he doesn't like Nicholas II. )
But now, when we're teenagers, you must like this, act like that...And I don't think History is the 'cool subject' for young people.
And it's really disturbing because everyone wants to be like everyone. People want to be loved and that's why much of them have no strong personality and act like people who they want to be friends with.
It's sad.
Tatiana's royal play site.
My DeviantArt
Banner & avatar courtesy of GD Ally.

Lalee

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 08:32:20 AM »
I personally don't tell anyone about my interest, unless they specifically ask me (I know that some people can react negatively towards a particular interest). I'm sometimes found with a book about the Imperial Family in my hands, and whenever we study the IF in history classes I'm often tempted to give more details, which amuses me myself!

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
  • . Emiliya Brianaiovna . Ella of Hesse .
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 08:17:41 AM »
I personally don't tell anyone about my interest, unless they specifically ask me (I know that some people can react negatively towards a particular interest). I'm sometimes found with a book about the Imperial Family in my hands, and whenever we study the IF in history classes I'm often tempted to give more details, which amuses me myself!

ha ha so relatable!

my freshmen year two teachers brought of the romanovs, and i wanted to scream that them both!!
they knew nothing, about them, the pronounced all their names wrong, got all the dates wrong too!

i didn't say anything, because i knew my voice would have sounded shrill, and would have been as if i was yelling, but now i think back on it and i regret it.
my theology teacher, sister mercedes, said that Rasputin was the cause of Communism, and that he died in 1918, which i knew he died in 1916.
so wrong so so wrong.

I don't really talk of the Romanov Family with my friends, because they are my age (and most of people aged sixteen are  not interested by History), and I think if they know how much I loved them, they will think I'm crazy. And I don't like when someone judges one of my hobbies with no respect.
And when someone discovers that I like the Romanovs, this someone asks why and I don't know what to answer because there's no reason, I like them, that's all.
I only told one friend about them and she thinks it was weird and it seems that she thought it was not interesting at all.

My little sister saw few times searches I do about them. And she got upset by that. She always says "The Romanovs are dead. What is so interesting about them ?".
She thinks that's stupid.

i have the same problem, i just ignore them, they just obviously don't know where you come from, and your hobbies.
if some people just took the time to ask and understand, and would judge in a nice way, i think that would make the situation a whole lot easier.

my family backs me up on my factiness and hope that i do something with my life, with it.
So keep me awake for every moment
Give us more time to be this way
We can't stay like this forever
But I can have you next to me today
. Josh Groban .

Offline Proud_Olga

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »

my freshmen year two teachers brought of the romanovs, and i wanted to scream that them both!!
they knew nothing, about them, the pronounced all their names wrong, got all the dates wrong too!

i didn't say anything, because i knew my voice would have sounded shrill, and would have been as if i was yelling, but now i think back on it and i regret it.
my theology teacher, sister mercedes, said that Rasputin was the cause of Communism, and that he died in 1918, which i knew he died in 1916.
so wrong so so wrong.

It also happened to me. Last year, at school, we studied the Russian Revolution. And my history teacher said that the last Tsar was Alexander III.
I wanted to say something, but I was afraid of the reaction of the others, so I stood quiet. I also regret when I think about it.
But, my teacher never much talked about the family , she only said when the Tsar abdicated. She didn't even talk about the massacre, nothing at all. Even in my History book, there was no sign of the murder, that fact didn't really please me.

i have the same problem, i just ignore them, they just obviously don't know where you come from, and your hobbies.
if some people just took the time to ask and understand, and would judge in a nice way, i think that would make the situation a whole lot easier.
my family backs me up on my factiness and hope that i do something with my life, with it.

It's also the same thing with me. My mother always tells me that this hobby won't help me for school and that I should get my interest on another thing. (Like maths, but I hate maths -__-')
Anyway, it doesn't matter if they don't understand why we are interesting on that.. I just want they react with respect.
Of course, it would be better if people try to understand.

My DeviantArt

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »
Poor, Olga and gd_42, I understand you. But, I think it's not good for teachers to say about their terrib death. We are young.......
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Proud_Olga

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 10:55:21 AM »
Poor, Olga and gd_42, I understand you. But, I think it's not good for teachers to say about their terrib death. We are young.......

Why not ? Actually, young people like us watch  everyday terrible things in movies, news about the world, even in video games. We always talk about World War II and murders of millions of jews since we're child.
All I mean, that's better to say about their death. Because we should not forget.
My DeviantArt

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 11:34:39 AM »
i didn't say anything, because i knew my voice would have sounded shrill, and would have been as if i was yelling

Oh, yes. You will yell at teachers. I have done this many times. Everyone finds it hilarious but I was practically shaking. I got some weird nicknames after a particular incident relating to Anastasia, but I would really rather be myself completely and have people be amused by it than not be myself and have the regret of it much later. The biggest mistake you can make in life is to not be yourself and it's something you must get over as soon as possible. Nobody will hate you for liking the Romanovs. If anything, they just won't understand it. You shouldn't live your life according to others. It's easier than you think.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
  • . Emiliya Brianaiovna . Ella of Hesse .
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
i didn't say anything, because i knew my voice would have sounded shrill, and would have been as if i was yelling

Oh, yes. You will yell at teachers. I have done this many times. Everyone finds it hilarious but I was practically shaking. I got some weird nicknames after a particular incident relating to Anastasia, but I would really rather be myself completely and have people be amused by it than not be myself and have the regret of it much later. The biggest mistake you can make in life is to not be yourself and it's something you must get over as soon as possible. Nobody will hate you for liking the Romanovs. If anything, they just won't understand it. You shouldn't live your life according to others. It's easier than you think.

yes.. i know!
i try.. trust me.. its just hard i guess.. nobody knows where you come from i guess.. i mean i bet loads of my friends have stuff they do that i don't know about, and wish to keep private just for judging.
people... have to options, i find, when you open your self up about something personal, they can be respectful and tell their opinion, or they could totally overreact, and be rude.

either way i guess its a release.

Why not ? Actually, young people like us watch  everyday terrible things in movies, news about the world, even in video games. We always talk about World War II and murders of millions of jews since we're child.
All I mean, that's better to say about their death. Because we should not forget.

i think teachers look at only the facts that happened, and not the reasons that backed up the facts.
they probably know nothing about the family, let alone the specifics of the time.

Yes i agree.. its a sad truth, that if you look at the terrible things in life, war, crime, death, news, you will have a better time remembering it, and knowing what to do in the situation.
So keep me awake for every moment
Give us more time to be this way
We can't stay like this forever
But I can have you next to me today
. Josh Groban .

Offline Proud_Olga

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »

You're right. Anyway, at each time I remember this History class, I tell myself that I should have corrected the teacher, after all, I don't see anymore most of the students who were in my class. But I was afraid that someone would have reacted badly. I think it is the price when your hobby doesn't interest much of people.

i think teachers look at only the facts that happened, and not the reasons that backed up the facts.
they probably know nothing about the family, let alone the specifics of the time.

No, but I thought that was weird, when we studied the French Revolution in class, the teacher said that  Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette were executed and what became their children. And when we studied the Russian Revolution, nothing about the IF.
But, I admit that the Russian Revolution was a difficult chapter. Many friends of mine disliked it. That's maybe why teachers don't even talk about the fate of the IF. But I thought  the teacher would have much more talked about it. After all, it was the ancient regim of Russia.
My DeviantArt

Offline halen

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »
Well, most people know I'm a history geek so they don't say too much. My dad wants to know how many times I have re-read my Romanov books (lots) and if there is anything left for me to learn about them (lots)...of course he says this with a bit of sarcasm, which I ignore. I patiently explain archives, GARF, the opening up of Russia to historians. He still thinks I'm a geek, but a pretty smart one.

When I took War and Religion in the Middle Ages, we briefly touched on Russia and the Romanov's. A buddy and I are both Russian/Romanov buffs, so the prof deferred to us when he was unsure of names, titles, and dates. That in itself says a great deal for the  prof and his respect for his students.

Louise

P.S. To all the younger people...keep your interest alive. It is a wonderful subject and it can lead you to so many new areas in history and the world in general.

Louise
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

When he shall die
Take him and cut him out into stars
And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 06:24:35 PM »
Thank you, Halen.
Historia magistra vitae est. Correct?  ;)
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 01:14:01 AM »
Regarding history teachers, realize the Romanovs aren't exactly important insofar as they died and why they died and all of the political ramifications of it.  The only time I've gotten into detail about what historical personages thought, did, what people thought of them, why they did what they did were in advanced history courses in college.  (Example, I wrote a 15 page paper about Anne Boleyn's interest in the Reformation but how she was not exactly an evangelical reformer, and blah-dee-blah-blah for a graduate-level course.  I found a topic that corresponded to discussions in the lecture and got in depth about what we know and don't know about her beliefs and what other people said and why and why I think XYZ historians are wrong.)  In high school, you do not get a big picture, it's just dates and names and basics.  Don't yell at the teachers for not having the same interest you do, because quite frankly this family is a niche historical interest, especially the children and they are simply unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 03:18:20 AM »
It's not because they don't share an interest. I was in an academic meet and they asked, "What was the name of Tsar Nicholas II's youngest daughter?" I answered Anastasia. I was apparently incorrect. The answer was Alexandra. I corrected them. They may be 'unimportant' in the grand scheme of things but teachers should at least know the tiniest bit of information. I think they give teachers diplomas far too easily these days. They might only be considered 'unimportant' because they barely teach a thing about them these days. I never learned anything at all. My class had no idea they were killed at all which is rather sad.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 02:42:38 PM »
Well, yes, that is wrong, but quite frankly in history classes in high school are about the big picture.  Knowing the names of Nicholas II's kids is not important.  You should know why things happened, why the Revolution happened, why they were executed (though there's lots of different 'schools of history' so to speak on that), etc.  Getting into the details isn't important for a beginning history education where most people just don't really care one way or the other.  You've got to get the big picture first before getting to the nitty-gritty or else you go farther down the line and nothing makes sense.

When I was in high school I'd get mad that we didn't cover stuff I found interesting but as I got older I realized it was insignificant.  My AP European History teacher called Alexei Alexander, said Rasputin and Alexandra were lovers, etc.  I'd correct him.  But he got all the big issues right: what importance the Romanovs have in the historical timeline, more focus on the Revolution because it was such a big social event everyone was freaking out about, etceter.