Author Topic: CINCINNATI Exhibition: At Home with the Last Tsar  (Read 26109 times)

Offline Shvibzik

• Graf
  • Bling it on
    • View Profile
Re: CINCINNATI Exhibition: At Home with the Last T
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2005, 02:22:25 PM »
Yeah, I think you did. ;)  When they asked the girls of Dimitri's decendants if they would want to be Grand Duchesses now, they said no.  WHY?! :o
There were some of the regiment clothes, too.  As well as other dresses, toys, and furnature.  Lots of pictures, most of them the well-known ones, though. :(  There were lots of letters to them--most asking for stamps.  There was Maria's (I think it was her) English book, where she practiced her English.  I think it was cute, although hard to read in some spots. :) :D  Of course there was other stuff too, icons, decorative stuff.  

I apologize if I drone on like a know-it-all.  I can't help myself sometimes... :-/

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2005, 08:12:26 AM »
Oh Shvibzik!
You don't sound like a "know it all" in any form! You're just keeping up with the details of the exhibit!
Thank you so much for your recollection of the exhibit Holly, it certinally sounds neat. I would have been frusterated at all the people croweded in there, as I am not a large fan of big crowds.

;)

Offline Shvibzik

• Graf
  • Bling it on
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2005, 08:27:28 AM »
Thanks Laura. :)

Well, when I was there, it wasn't too crowded until we got into the main exhibit (past the pictures).  But after the Nicholas, Alexandra, and the Marie Antoinette paintings the crowd thinned out.  Some of the glass cases though, there was a book that told you what each thing was, and sometimes you have to wait a while until you get it.  

And thank you, too, Holly! ;)  

Offline Annushka

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2005, 05:48:35 PM »
It was great to be able to go, but the crowds were horrible and it was very frustrating. And to top it off, I had an immobilizer on one leg and was walking with difficulty.

Holly
AKA HollyMI,  Princess of the ancient kingdom of Michigan, USA.

Offline Shvibzik

• Graf
  • Bling it on
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2005, 06:50:26 PM »
That stinks. :-/  Everyone must've been wanting to see it before it was over.  Sigh.  And now it is. :(  I hope it comes again, or another one; it was so ironic, just after I finished a report on Anastasia my teacher tells me about the exhibit! I finally begged my dad into going.  Afterwords, I tried begging to go again, but we never did.  Anyway, I'm blabbing... ::)

Offline Elizabeth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2005, 01:36:09 PM »
Just finished reading all the posts from the Cincinnati exhibit (poor Laura!).  I had posted earlier asking about "religious items" since my Orthodox Church choir was going, and there was a beautiful response from Kay (thank you!).

It was amazing to find out afterwards that some of my fellow church members went through the entire exhibit in less than ONE hour!  I stayed for TWO, and still didn't feel like I saw everything -- so I went back a few weeks later with my Mom and it was even better the second time around.

The "Dream of the Mother of God" that Kay mentioned (that hung in Alexandra's mauve room) was magnificent!  It took up a huge space on one wall and was hung so you were practically "eye-level" with it.  (If it hadn't been so big, I would have tried to sneak it out -- ha!).

Yes, there were a number of other religious items BUT the things that took MY breath away (and reduced me to tears) were their personal items -- Tatiana's Husser's uniform, the girls' porcelain doll, Nicholas's uniform (the size of the tunic made you realize that he was not a very big man!).  

I was DISAPPOINTED in the glass cases (that contained the reproduction of some of the IF's rooms) because only ONE book was available that identified each of the items.  The lighting was low, and it was hard to read (and if there was a crowd, you had to wait for a turn).  I would hope in future exhibits that they identify the items via signs posted on the walls or glass case (like they did in some of the other settings).

Yes, the gift shop was VERY disappointing.  When I first went in late March, there was a HUGE selection of books, but when I went back in mid-April, they had sold out of most of the books and just had all the knick-knacks (scarfs, porcelain items, dolls, etc.).  

For those who DIDN'T get to attend, you might want to try calling the Cincinnati Museum and see if they have any additional souvenir books (it's worth a shot).  

E--

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2005, 02:29:39 AM »
What an amazing review Elizabeth!
Thank you for posting! I am so glad to hear how things went for you!
*hugs*  :)
Hopefully they'll have an exhibit again and we'll all get to see things for a longer and less busy time.  :)

Offline troynm

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2005, 09:40:06 PM »
I viewed it when it was in Santa Fe. I have been wanting to see one of the Tsar exhibits for years but could never get to one so this was very exciting for me. I was a little disapointed but I wasn't sure what I would see in the first place. I'm still glad I went though! It was mostly day to day stuff and not much in the way of fancy stuff. Alexandra's clothes on display were day gowns. There was a table from one of her rooms and it was very simple, painted white I think, and in very poor condition. Actually it looked like junk. I was hoping to see one Fabrage egg, but I guess they are far too expensive to display.

There were a couple of their famous photo albums and letters from Nicky to Alix and vice versa.

There was a book available for purchase that pictured and described everything on display. I have really enjoyed looking through it.

There was an interesting book for sale called "The Kitchen Boy" by Robert Alexander. It's a novel that tells the story of the last days of the Tsar and his family and their execution through the eyes of the kitchen boy. It's fiction but everything is based on fact. The author was there to sign your book so that was great.

The museum here was selling old Russian Icons but at prices way out of my reach!

An interesting thing about the exhibit in Santa Fe is that the town built the entire summer around it, calling it Russian Summer, and they had stuff going on all summer, it was fun!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2005, 11:10:42 PM »
I have an extra set of postcards from the exhibition--Semya Nikolay II... anyone want 'em?

Offline Shvibzik

• Graf
  • Bling it on
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2005, 09:37:43 AM »
An interesting thing about the exhibit in Santa Fe is that the town built the entire summer around it, calling it Russian Summer, and they had stuff going on all summer, it was fun!

lol! The one at Cincinnati was called a Russian Winter!

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2005, 10:39:17 AM »
I have an extra set of postcards from the exhibition--Semya Nikolay II... anyone want 'em?

*raises hand way up in the air*
Ooh! I do, I do!
I'll Pm you darlin'  ;)

David_Pritchard

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2005, 03:53:38 PM »
 There was a special area about the Cincinnati connection.  Dimitri Pavlovich's wife Audrey Emery was part of a family with links to Cincinnati and Paul Ilyinski liked there for awhile and 3 of his 4 children still live there.  
Holly

Audrey's brother, the billionaire John Emery, built a magnificent estate in the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill. This mansion, less 1100 acres, is now a foundation. See the link for more information: http://www.peterloon.org/

DAP

Offline Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2005, 06:42:35 AM »
Hallo,

I've just read this topic, it's amasing that so many people in the usa are interested in the hystory of last Romanovs (or it seems to be so, who knows). I wonder whether you are of russian origin (perhaps of the first emigration). How many people were there at the exhibition?

Vielen Dank!

Offline Shvibzik

• Graf
  • Bling it on
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2005, 04:44:28 PM »
Hallo,

I've just read this topic, it's amasing that so many people in the usa are interested in the hystory of last Romanovs (or it seems to be so, who knows). I wonder whether you are of russian origin (perhaps of the first emigration). How many people were there at the exhibition?

Vielen Dank!

Hi Russ!

Welcome to the forum, you'll like it a lot. ;)

I'm not of Russian origin, but there are some here that are.  When you asked how many people were at the exhibition do you mean how many went from here or how crowded it was?

Offline Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2005, 12:54:26 PM »
@Shvibzik

Hallo Shvibzik!
Was it then boring there? I would like to know the both cases, if it's possible. I was at some exhibitions in Petersburg, and it was always nice, so that one could just walk through the roums for hours.