Discussions about Russian History > Russian Imperial Medals, Orders, Uniforms & Militaria

swords parades

<< < (2/3) > >>

Alexandre64:
I think these swords should be brought to the big occasion (visits by the Tsar, Military Parades, and at official ceremonies and ceremonies of the court)

Alex.

Alexandre64:
cavalry sword:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Alexandre64_2007/medail/sabre/sabredecavalerie.jpg

Tcharka,era Nicolas II :
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Alexandre64_2007/medail/sabre/TcarkaNicolasII.jpg

Cuirassier sword:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Alexandre64_2007/medail/sabre/Sabredecuirassier.jpg

Daniel Briere:

--- Quote from: Alexandre64 on June 24, 2008, 03:01:55 AM ---Here is the description of the object:

An extremely rare caucasian child's shashka belonging to the Tsarevich Aleksei
Terek 1908-1917 with unrecorded Cyrillic workmaster's initials MN
Curved, the gold-decorated ivory hilt with hooked bifurcated pommel applied with the gold cypher of Nicholas II, the silver-gilt scabbard chased and engraved with stylized foliage enclosing ivory panels inlaid with gold foliage design, the top one enclosing the interlaced initials of the patronime of Tsarevich Aleksei (Aleksei Nikolaevich), the blade inlaid with a gold imperial eagle and the Russian inscription The Terek Cossack army on one side, the other side with the cypher of Nicholas II and the inscription To his August Ataman 1911, further signed in Russian GUZUNOV, with its original sword knot
26˝ in. (68 cm.) long

Lot Notes
The Tsarevich Aleksei Nikolaevich, born in 1901, was the only son of Emperor Nicholas II and his wife the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna.

As Tsarevich Heir to the throne, Grand Duke Aleksei was from an early age accepted in numerous regiments of the Imperial Russian army and therefore received and wore uniforms specially made for him. Miniature or child's swords were made for his young age. The present caucasian sword was made in 1911 and presented to him by Terek Cossack Army (Voisko) which with the Kuban Cossack Army was the main Cossack voiskos in the Caucasus.

--- End quote ---

Merci beaucoup pour les renseignements. It makes sense, as the Tsarevitch was Ataman (Honorary Chief) of all Cossack Troops and was presented a number of swords, including some from the regiments of which he was Colonel-in-Chief. It looks like your information come from an auction catalogue. Is it the case?

Daniel Briere:

--- Quote from: Alexandre64 on June 24, 2008, 03:17:41 PM ---I think these swords should be brought to the big occasion (visits by the Tsar, Military Parades, and at official ceremonies and ceremonies of the court)

Alex.

--- End quote ---

Hi Louise and Alexandre,

With a few exceptions (attending a Ball or in Church under certain circumstances like communion, wedding, baptism, etc.), officers wore their swords at all times and with all form of military dress.

But there were rules about what kind of swords were to be born and under which circumstances (war-time; peace-time : manoeuvers, parades, off-duty, etc). During the reign of Nicholas II, most infantry officers had only one kind – a fighting sword : the Russian « shashka » infantry sword; cavalry officers had the same on duty but in 1909 were allowed to wear an old cavalry sabre pattern while off-duty. The same year all Cossacks were also allowed to wear Asiatic or Caucasian type « family heirlooms » sabres at all times, which explains the great number of various patterns of swords than can be seen. A number of Guards’ Cavalry Regiments (Cuirassiers, Lancers, Hussars) had Dress Swords (broadsword « palash » for Cuirassiers, Light-Cavalry sabre for others) with both Parade Dress and Ordinary Dress while on-duty (on horseback only). On foot while on-duty with Ordinary Dress or off-duty they bore an infantry shashka.

The smallsword (« shpaga ») was mainly carried by General Officers (only when off-duty though), Chamber Pages at Court (with Parade uniforms) and by Military Civil Servants.

Award swords, presented for bravery, often called gold swords because some of them were partially gilded and embellished with the Order of St. George or the Order of Ste. Anne. In exceptional cases the St. George Swords were awarded « with diamonds » : although the recipients were allowed to bear them at all times, I doubt they would have done so at the Front! So, apart from the first two swords shown here, and the Court sword, all the others were for regular use.

Alexandre64:
These swords come from a sales last month at Christie's

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version