Author Topic: Elizabeth and Alexandra by Anthony Lambton  (Read 32243 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: Elizabeth and Alexandra by Anthony Lambton
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2005, 03:17:26 PM »
Thank you for asking. It is a biography. It was shortlisted for an award for pre-published books and it seemed that after years of struggling to be a writer Ella had worked a miracle for me. However! An agent is now trying to place it but though publishers like it they say historical bios are not selling well now. One publisher even wrote 'it has insufficient scandal for us to publish it'.....and that from a reputable publisher. Sorry for going on!!!
At least, I think, it's not as bad as starving down a mine shaft or seeing your husband blown to pieces which putseverything into perspective.
Sorry if I've bored you.... :o

Bluetoria, is it possible to get an "inofficial" copy of your book somewhere? I have no idea how that works as far as copyrights, or whatever, but I would love to read your work on Ella.  There is such shortage of good Ella biographies out there. I can't believe that historical bio's are not selling well now, what's wrong with everyone out there, this is my favorite genre!  ;)

bluetoria

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2005, 04:14:57 PM »
I am very honoured that you should ask, Helen, but unfortunately the agent has the book and a publisher is supposed to be considering it so there is little I can do at the moment. Should nothing come of it I'd be happy to end it to you...will let you know eventually! Thanks for asking!!! It makes my day:)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2005, 08:19:38 PM »

"I wrote a book about Ella for which I received a contract from an English publisher last year. After a year they said the market had changed and were withdrawing the contract and sent me a royalties cheque and advance so Iwouldn't sue them!!! It's very hurtful to me!!!!"

This is a real shame to hear but it is true about the market -- good scholarly books are rare - and publishers don't want to take them on.  However,  Christopher Warwick is at work on a bio on Ella.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Alicky1872

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2005, 06:17:49 AM »
Bluetoria, I would LOVE to read your book too! It's such a shame to hear about your experience, but I pray it will work out for you. I admire you so much, I desperately want to write, but I don't think I have the "stick to it-ness" and now there's no time, because I have a little one around the house! :)

bluetoria

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2005, 06:51:43 AM »
Thank you so much, Alicky, I would be EXTREMELY grateful for your prayers.
Above all, I should really like more peoplein England to have heard about Ella as I think she is so little known here.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2005, 08:09:07 AM »
I am very honoured that you should ask, Helen, but unfortunately the agent has the book and a publisher is supposed to be considering it so there is little I can do at the moment. Should nothing come of it I'd be happy to end it to you...will let you know eventually! Thanks for asking!!! It makes my day:)

Well, please let us know what happens, because there are plenty of takers for your book on this site!  :D
Bluetoria, I sometimes correspond with Christopher Warwick, who is now writing the new Ella biography (which I can't wait for too!). He read your comments about your book on this thread, he is not a member but he asked me to post this:

"Would you be good enough to say that I sympathize entirely with everything Bluetoria says and add that I'm personally sorry to know ... she had such a disappointing publishing experience."    

So you see, we're all rooting for you  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2005, 08:16:51 AM »
...good scholarly books are rare - and publishers don't want to take them on.  

It's such a shame that trash such as the Lambton book (sorry, don't mean to offend anyone who liked it),  and a few others I can think of right off the bat, somehow get published, but genuinely good efforts are not accepted! Why is this the case?

bluetoria

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2005, 08:42:01 AM »
 :)Helen-Azar, what a pleasure to be on this site with such lovely people! Thank you - you restore my faith in humanity!!!! :) :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2005, 10:03:41 AM »
I have to 2nd this--it's a shame that the publishing world will publish book after book on Diana (which basically say the same thing but they can keep putting in all the scandalous details) but a work on such a remarkable figure as Ella will be allowed to go by the wayside. I'm glad that Christopher Warwick is writing one but there's room for more. If it ever gets untangled you'd certainly find some buyers here! You could always sell it as an e-book on the internet. I'm already busy with prayers on behalf to victims of the tsunami to certain patron saints--I can add St Francis de Sales (patron saint of authors) to the list!  :)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2005, 10:13:56 AM »
You could always sell it as an e-book on the internet.

That's a good idea, GDElla. Maybe some time soon we can have a little "preview" of bluetoria's book?  ;)

bluetoria

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2005, 11:34:30 AM »
Thank you, grandduchessella, I am very grateful for your prayers though I am well aware that the people involved in the terrible Asian disaster are in far greater need...I pray for them too...
I'm afraid I have got in the way of the original point about 'Elizabeth & Alexandra' ...Do you not think it is disgraceful that someone could so twist so beautiful and courageous a character and turn her life into a sort of Barbara Cartland style (sorry B.C. fans!) novel merely for entertainment.
The fact that Ella...and all of the Romanovs...endured what they did and struggled from the highest motives, should, I believe, inspire some sort of respect when writing of them, whether or not one agrees with all they said and did.  

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2005, 02:11:32 PM »
I'm afraid I have got in the way of the original point about 'Elizabeth & Alexandra' ...  
I think the topic of your book is a lot more interesting than the Lambton book ever would be  :D

bluetoria

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2005, 03:21:19 PM »
I have toyed with the idea of self-publishing and I may do that if nothing develops in 2005...but for now I've decided to stick with praying for a miracle...."Hope springs eternal...." etc.
With regard to books in general and grandduchessella's mention of the surfeit of Diana books, I often wonder why the shelves are so full of biographies of people who have never really DONE anything...minor celebrities and people who are famous for being famous. Sooner or later there must be a swing back to something more uplifting. For the most part I thinkthese bios are  - to use Ella's word! - 'unedifying' and then people wonder why young people and children have no really good role models to follow. Perhaps it was ever thus...

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2005, 03:28:47 PM »

... I often wonder why the shelves are so full of biographies of people who have never really DONE anything...minor celebrities and people who are famous for being famous.
 Lately I am starting to become convinced that the general public has very bad taste!  :P  :-/

bluetoria

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2005, 03:32:07 PM »
...or perhaps publishers aren't giving us what we want because they think they'll make more money catering for a quick sale....