Author Topic: Elizabeth and Alexandra by Anthony Lambton  (Read 32242 times)

Alicky1872

Re: Elizabeth and Alexandra by Anthony Lambton
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2005, 06:24:06 PM »
If I see another new bio of Diana, Mary Queen of Scots, or Elizabeth I, I'm going to scream! Seems like everytime I go to Borders, there's another one! It's so frustrating! The same stuff rehashed again and again! The publishers keep churning out the same stuff because they know it'll sell, and you're right Bluetoria, it's all about a quick sale.  :P

MAybe we all should get together and start our own publishing company!  :D

Offline tea_rose

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2005, 07:18:22 PM »
And don't forget the Kennedys. I have been guilty of reading some of them-but the vast bulk are tired and often sordid re-hash at this point.  I know Carolyn Kennedy avoids whole sections if she ever enters a library or bookstore.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2005, 12:20:16 AM »
Not to chime in, but when I presented the synopsis of my book on Victoria Milford Haven to one publisher, it was their opinion that she had not done anything but go to parties with royals.  

THe truth is, royal women who haven't had a tremendously scandalous life aren't of interest to publishers, who are, sadly, only interested in publishing books that sell, not good ones.  

Bluetoria, if your agent doesn't come through, you might email Eurohistory.com about your book.  They are getting into royal publishing.
So long and thanks for all the fish

bluetoria

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2005, 05:40:39 AM »
Ilana, thanks for your suggestion...might try that if the present plan doesn't work out.
As for your book about VMH - how foolish can a publisher be!!! I'll bet it's fascinating - far more so than the majority of available biographies - she was a truly remarkable and courageous woman and I would certainly have bought your book!
We'll all just have to keep trying...even Emily Bronte was rejected numerous times, Van Gogh only sold a couple of paintings and that was to his his brother, many of the major Victorian poets were reduced to publushing their own work...someone once wrote 'Now Barabbas was a publisher...."
I wish you the best of luck with Victoria...please don't give up,
Bluetoria  :)

Sunny

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2005, 06:37:09 AM »
Bluetoria and Ilana, add me to the list of those wanting to read your books. Just read a Voltaire quote at a news site, that sums up much of what sees the light in the world of publishing: "The multitude of books is making us ignorant."

Sunny

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2005, 04:31:53 PM »
Thanks Bluetoria... the book will be available, and you will all, of course, be informed when it is!!
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Ming

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2005, 10:04:56 PM »
Oh, Bluetoria, my heart hurts for you.  It seems you have done a tremendous work and service that so many of us would greatly appreciate and would love to add to our personal libraries.  One thing to remember, though, is that publishers are really just people, and they have opinions and agendas and jobs to do, etc., so often their choice to publish or not is so subjective...even "political" at times.  The rejections are most likely not meant to be personal, so please don't take them that way.  Sometimes it takes time to find just the right publisher...or to find your own way of publishing and marketing and distributing, etc.  I know this for a fact because I am a book editor, and I think people would be amazed at the true reasons why a book gets published or not.

There are many people on this board that would be glad to purchase your book.  Perhaps you might like to make copies of some the comments written here and show them to your (future) publisher.  You already have a market right here!

Also...just an idea...have you considered condensing a chapter or two of your book and offering it as a magazine article for "Royalty" or other similar magazines?  Sometimes publishing excerpts is a good way to whet people's appetites to read "the rest of the story". Just a thought.

Please keep us updated as to the progress of your quest! I'm sure I speak for many when I say I can't wait to read your book!

God bless.

Offline Speedycat

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2006, 10:45:19 AM »
Wow, so thrilled to find this topic after nearly a year has passed since ayone has written in it.  I saw the title of "Elizabeth and Alexandra" and just knew I had to read this book.  Luckily a friend of mine got it for me on an inter-library loan as I was totally unaware it was a NOVEL!  How stupid am I !?!?!
To make a long story/book short , I never did get to the end.  I got as far as the beginning of WWI.  So glad I found this thread to reassure myself that I was not the only one that was more then a bit "disturbed" by the book.  Some of the stories related by the auther were chilling, to say the least.  I had to immediately go back to my selection of biographies to comfort myself. :-[

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2006, 11:08:10 AM »
Wow, so thrilled to find this topic after nearly a year has passed since ayone has written in it.  I saw the title of "Elizabeth and Alexandra" and just knew I had to read this book.  Luckily a friend of mine got it for me on an inter-library loan as I was totally unaware it was a NOVEL!  How stupid am I !?!?!
To make a long story/book short , I never did get to the end.  I got as far as the beginning of WWI.  So glad I found this thread to reassure myself that I was not the only one that was more then a bit "disturbed" by the book.  Some of the stories related by the auther were chilling, to say the least.  I had to immediately go back to my selection of biographies to comfort myself. :-[

It was an awful book - Lord Lambton had an axe to grind with Mountbatten.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Speedycat

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2006, 05:48:26 PM »
Marlene, just a quick note to let you know your writings have always been so informative, factual and yes indeed, comforting in a world filled with rumor and scandal.  Thank you so much  :-*

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2006, 09:41:54 PM »
Marlene, just a quick note to let you know your writings have always been so informative, factual and yes indeed, comforting in a world filled with rumor and scandal.  Thank you so much  :-*

Dear Speedycat,

thank you.  Your kind words made my day.  But I loooooove writing about scandal  :)

By the way, your little kittie picture reminds of my Buddy when he was just a little baby ... he's all grown up now.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Speedycat

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2006, 12:17:55 PM »
That's Mel, my brother's cat, and he's full grown now.  I need to put up a picture of the original Speedy, a brown tabby.

Alixz

Elizabeth & Alexandra by Antony Lambton
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2008, 10:06:18 PM »
This book reads like a novel and the author has very little in the way of source notes.

However, in the back of the book, he lists some sources for his interpretation of Grand Duke Serge.  Then he has also included copies of letters from Alix to Nicholas during the Great War at the time of his take over of supreme command of the army.

But here is one that he does not source, but that I found interesting in light of other threads that have touched on this topic.

"In February [1916] she [Ella] received another strange letter from Alix:

E [meaning Ernie] is coming from Hesse without, of course, W [the German Emperor] knowing, to see Nicky.  E made overtures for peace before and Nicky refused to send anyone to see a man he had sent to Stockholm last April but now our Friend has said he should come himself.  My Friend says Nicky cannot agree to peace but to see Ernie would be leaving open door.  I ache and long for Nicky so if anything comes of plan E will be here two weeks.  His visit of course secret.  No one to know.  Would love to see you.  Will fall on his neck and kiss him.  Ah, if I had the patience of my beloved husband!
Your old,
Alix "

Lambton does not say where he got this letter from or who owns the original if there is one.

There is only one source for any of the letters that he quotes and that is (Empress Alexandra, The Letters to the Tsar.  1914-1916 Duckworth, London 1923)  No mention of who complied or edited the letters to be put into book form.

However, since there are other more recent books which are publications of the correspondence of Alix and Nicky during the war, if the above letter were any where to be found, I believe that it would have been republished with verification a long time ago.

Lambton presumes to get inside of Ella's head and to write about her most private thoughts and trials.  This includes stating that the reason that Ella and Serge did not have any marital relations was because Serge was a Sadist and needed to beat and abuse Ella before he could do anything (I am trying to be circumspect here).  And that they had no children because Ella could not stand to be so abused.  Lambton equally states that Ella was encouraged by Serge through Maria Pavlovna (the elder) to have child, but the how of this is not clear.

I have looked back in this thread about two years worth of postings but did not find any reference to this book.

Has anyone else any comments?

Offline anna11

• Boyar
  • history is the world's court of justice
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth & Alexandra by Antony Lambton
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2008, 04:20:32 AM »
I also think that if such a letter really existed, it would have been brought to light a while ago. Didn't Anna Anderson claim that Ernie visited Russia in 1916? If this letter did exist, surely Anderson's supporters would have made it very public.

The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Offline halen

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth & Alexandra by Antony Lambton
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2008, 06:24:15 AM »
While I'm not sure how much truth there is to the rumour that Ernie visited Russia, I know there are folks out there who know whether this is fact or fiction. As for Lambton's book--ITS HORRIBLE. It reads  like a terrible historical fiction. He does the same in a book he penned on the Mountbattens/Battenbergs and I consider him  the male version of Kitty Kelley.  :)

That said, I was thinking of the book last week and was tempted to take it out of the library again just to have a good laugh. The moment passed, whew.  :-[
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

When he shall die
Take him and cut him out into stars
And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,